PDA

View Full Version : $5 UB short stack stealing

11-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Forgive the newbie question, not sure how to phrase this.

I've weaseled into the money pushing my short stack very regularly from 5th place. outlasted 2, which given the shortness of my stack, I consider a success. But, is that 'success'? I played so many hands as the short stack, without gaining ground, I am questioning the technique.

$5.5 UB 10-std, 3 left, BB 200, I have ~1200, bigstack ~8500, midstack ~5300.

I'm pushing any pair, any A any K and any two cards that are both over 8 if nobdy's called ahead of me. If someone's in the hand ahead, only pushing with pairs or paint or connectors from 9T up. Checking most from BB to see flop. I never get called. The last time I was, I made the small stack the mid stack some time ago before we were ITM. So it feels "successful" because I'm winning a lot of pots, but even my great hands are only getting the blinds/calls too (e.g. TT or AK). A few times I try a smaller raise with good hands, but they still fold (makes sense, it looks suspcious at this point). Still in it but not gaining any ground. Big stack berated my play.

So, I don't know if I should just be happy I made it ITM, and not sweat it.
Or if the 'successful' stealing is making me miss other plays. Or if these guys were just so passive that I wasn't going to get a call with a good hand no matter what.

When I finally did get called, I had 44 vs KQ and board 2-paired higher so his hi card took it.

pineapple888
11-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Is there a question somewhere in there? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You generally have to be aggressive when you are the only short stack.

Don't raise less with good hands, this is a truly awful tell.

Be very happy any time you are ITM.

That's about it without more specifics.

11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
The big stack was probably just pissed that you weren't making it easy on him. A lot of players at that level will complain when confronted with your tactics. But it's your only play.

You aren't playing to earn his respect. You're playing to earn his money. Screw that guy. You're playing correctly.