PDA

View Full Version : ($22) You shove here....

ilya
11-21-2005, 05:42 PM
***** Hand History for Game 3072439798 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:17606465 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Monday, November 21, 16:35:14 EDT 2005
Table Table 68049 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: A ( $850 )
Seat 7: B ( $1035 )
Seat 8: C ( $1523 )
Seat 9: HERO ( $1435 )
Seat 10: VILLAIN ( $3157 )
Trny:17606465 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 9c 9h ]
VILLAIN raises [325].
A folds.
B folds.
C folds.

HERO...?

Nicholasp27
11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
u aren't really desperate here, but stealing this hand will add 42% to your stack, so if there is a fair chance he'll fold to your push, then push it...if he calls, 99 has pretty good shot against him, but u are doing this because he'll fold; so if he's a calling maniac with his big stack, then fold; if he's shown he'll back off, then push it

pooh74
11-21-2005, 05:47 PM
You need to give us something on Villain before asking this question. In a vacuum I "usually" push...the "usually" part is contigent on what I know about villain.

durron597
11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
He really should be raising a huge range here because the shorties all act immediately after him and the bigger stacks (that have more to lose) are in the blinds. I think you are way ahead of his range and these chips would put you in a great spot for the bubble - if you get called and win, you are in a dominating spot for first with the second biggest stack on your immediate left. I think this is a clear push.

ilya
11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to give us something on Villain before asking this question. In a vacuum I "usually" push...the usually contigent on what I know about villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain has not done anything *super* out of line. He got his big stack just a couple hands ago when he called a button 2.75xbb OR with KJo in the BB with about 6xbb behind, pushed the JTx flop, and doubled up off of button's call.

My image is reasonable, maybe even tight, at this point; I have not had many opportunities to open-raise for the blinds. Last orbit I pushed A8o in CO-1 for 5xbb, was called by BB's AK, & won.

wiggs73
11-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Depends on the big-stack I think. Against me with a big stack, you're WAY ahead of my raising range. Judging from the player you described (calling a raise with KJ, jamming top pair), I think you're probably ahead enough here to justify pushing. After all, you really only hate to see TT-AA and I'm pretty sure anyone reasonable is raising with a bigger range than that.

The decision between push and fold here is probably what separates higher ITM players from higher ROI players. The higher ITM player might would fold, thinking it gives him a safer ride to the top 3. The higher ROI player probably pushes, thinking it gives him a better chance for 1st.

11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
u aren't really desperate here, but stealing this hand will add 42% to your stack, so if there is a fair chance he'll fold to your push, then push it...if he calls, 99 has pretty good shot against him, but u are doing this because he'll fold; so if he's a calling maniac with his big stack, then fold; if he's shown he'll back off, then push it

[/ QUOTE ]

but weren't the previous replies stating that his raising range justifies a push here? I like getting called by AK or worse here. Maybe i'm wrong but wouldn't a call from him not be horrible?

mosdef
11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He really should be raising a huge range here because the shorties all act immediately after him and the bigger stacks (that have more to lose) are in the blinds. I think you are way ahead of his range and these chips would put you in a great spot for the bubble - if you get called and win, you are in a dominating spot for first with the second biggest stack on your immediate left. I think this is a clear push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately for hero, what villain would be doing if he was any good may have nothing to do with what he is actually doing. That's part of the reality of $22 tournaments. So with no reads, you really can't put him on any kind of hand range. So while I think that it's a fair assumption to put him on a wide range, I don't think that you can rely on opponents at the $22s to do the smart thing.

If I push, I expect to be called every time. Calling standards at the $22s are extremely loose. I would push and hope that my 9s (which are almost certainly ahead) hold up. It's a tougher spot than it seems, but if you fold you're not really in a good situation.

IMO, this is one example of a common situation that makes the $22s annoying: you often have little fold equity because players make too many bad calls. Meaning that they will make calls that are -EV to them but also reduce your EV compared to the scenario where they make the right call.

The Yugoslavian
11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
No one has commented on your insanely pimp screen name?!

Wtf?!

Well, it's dope. NH

Yugoslav

ilya
11-21-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Wtf?!

Well, it's dope. NH

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH be quiet you monkey!

ilya
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Wtf?!

Well, it's dope. NH

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

how did this happen!! i demand to know how this happened!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ilya
11-21-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wtf?!

Well, it's dope. NH

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

how did this happen!! i demand to know how this happened!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

aaarrgghh i am such an idiot!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

1C5
11-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Good, I was wondering your new Party name....prepare to lose your blinds!!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

durron597
11-21-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

aaarrgghh i am such an idiot!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything

ilya
11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you are a wonderful wonderful man. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

1C5
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Don't worry, I already added you to my buddy list. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif