PDA

View Full Version : Should I have gone for overcalls?

hemstock
11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
MP3 and BB are horrible passive players around 80/3/.something

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

WalkAmongUs
11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I think its possible you may have gotten an extra BB out of going for over calls. 2 players already called 1 bet and then it was raised. Had you called, you most likely would have gotten and extra bet out of each player vs. 1 extra bet out of the raiser.

Its close though. But I think you should have gone for it. even if one of them folds, you still make the same amount as reraising. I'm almost positive AT LEAST one will call so essentially, you lose nothing but stand to gain an extra BB.

11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't think so. You would have won one BB more assuming that neither of your opponents folds to the raise. Villain c/r you so you have a chance that he capps. I think 3betting is the best choice here.

jrz1972
11-21-2005, 05:47 PM
You should at least consider raising the flop. The pot isn't huge, but it's not that small either and you'd like to clean up ace outs if possible.

Given your read on the other opponents, it's very tempting to go for overcalls. They seem retarded enough to make curiosity calls for one more bet, but nobody is retarded enough to call a check-raise-and-3-bet cold with middle pair or whatever crap they were calling down with. It's close either way.

WalkAmongUs
11-21-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain c/r you so you have a chance that he capps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will villain cap with AK when the flush card hits? I'd bet thats what he's got. I doubt he would so we don't have to worry about getting another bet out of him that way. I think more times than not, going for the overcalls will win the most money in this spot. Going for overcalls will win at least the same amount of money here as reraising BUT you also will win an extra BB some of the time.

jrz1972
11-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Villain played the hand ass-backwards if he has AK (he limped preflop then led the flop when he whiffs). Flush-over-flush doesn't happen very often, but it does appear to be a possibility given this particular betting pattern.

That said, I agree that the likelihood of a cap is somewhat remote and I'd just as soon take the overcalls.

bozlax
11-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Meh. What difference does it make? With those agg factors, it's not going to get capped and MP3 and BB aren't going to crying-call/3-bet if you just call, so it's at most a 1BB swing in what appears to be a fairly rare situation (flush over very good second-best hand with 2 donks catching enough to call down). I doubt it's greatly EV in either direction.

(That said, this has the potential to be a much more interesting conversation if we didn't all know that MP3 and BB folded to your 3-bet. Still not tremendously interesting, IMO, but more interesting.)

11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Raise the flop, take the free card, and bet on teh river.

shadow29
11-21-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop, take the free card, and bet on teh river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise this flop pretty much never.

car ramrod
11-21-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this flop pretty much never.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, the flop is where we want the over calls.

jrz1972
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't raise the flop either, but if the pot were at all larger I think a flop raise should be automatic. When the A /images/graemlins/club.gif hits on the turn, you'll be glad you stuck that raise in there.

masse75
11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should at least consider raising the flop. The pot isn't huge, but it's not that small either and you'd like to clean up ace outs if possible.

Given your read on the other opponents, it's very tempting to go for overcalls. They seem retarded enough to make curiosity calls for one more bet, but nobody is retarded enough to call a check-raise-and-3-bet cold with middle pair or whatever crap they were calling down with. It's close either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with at least raising the flop. Even the turn, when you now pick up the gutshot straight, and the club now has them worrying about you hitting a club draw.

Borderline on the overcall. I would tend to think the raiser will push for a cap( Kx/images/graemlins/diamond.gif?). You risk the overcallers folding and missing 1 BB.

istewart
11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Nice hand.