PDA

View Full Version : 5/5 NL AK hand.

j8off
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
5/5 NL. I'm SB with $350, EP is solid (has me covered), MP is very loose (plays most aces, suited cards) and has around $250.
EP calls, a couple folds, MP calls. Folds to me in SB with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I decide to just call as I raised on my last couple AK and showed. BB checks.
Flop: K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I lead out $30. BB folds, EP calls, MP calls.
Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
I bet $100. EP calls, MP goes all in for $220.
??

beavens
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
if he's as loose as you say he is you're either WA/WB it seems.

WA against TPBK or WB against 2pr.

11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I hate putting my stack into the pot when there was no raise preflop.

None the less I am calling MP's push and then calling EP if he pushes too (because it's only $100 more in a huge pot).

I would have checked this turn.

Percula
11-21-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I decide to just call as I raised on my last couple AK and showed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why you keep raising PF with AK, PP and SC.

You should not talk yourself into "well they will not beleive me if I raise again" or "they will put me on XX if I raise here". This is one of the things that makes raising profitable, getting people to mistakenly "read" you for one thing, while having/doing another.

So now you find yourself OOP with TPTK in an unraised pot and facing aggression. You are either WA or WB. You can put your main villian on a wide hand range now, anything from AK to 99. So you are going to have to come up with a pretty good read here to make a call... Does he have KJ, KQ, K9, 33, 99... If you read is you are WA push, if your read is you are WB fold, get up and take walk and remind yourself, "raising good starting hands is a good thing".

11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should not talk yourself into "well they will not beleive me if I raise again" or "they will put me on XX if I raise here". This is one of the things that makes raising profitable, getting people to mistakenly "read" you for one thing, while having/doing another.

So now you find yourself OOP with TPTK in an unraised pot and facing aggression. You are either WA or WB. You can put your main villian on a wide hand range now, anything from AK to 99. So you are going to have to come up with a pretty good read here to make a call... Does he have KJ, KQ, K9, 33, 99... If you read is you are WA push, if your read is you are WB fold, get up and take walk and remind yourself, "raising good starting hands is a good thing".

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. I think mixing it up with AK, especially so that your opponents donk off a little more with top pair agaisnt your top pair top kicker and limping is a good idea. Especially live it is important to throw off your opponents every so often by limping AK.

beavens
11-21-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. I think mixing it up with AK, especially so that your opponents donk off a little more with top pair agaisnt your top pair top kicker and limping is a good idea. Especially live it is important to throw off your opponents every so often by limping AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought i'd be cute and do that against a really LAGgy guy with AK.. flop is K2x.. got too attached because i thought he'd be hold TPGK or worse.. needless to say i ended up AI and he flipped K2 for 2pr and my hand went unimproved.

j8off
11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
I wasn't too worried about MP as he was all in for only a bit over $100 more and I've seen him bet large with mediocre hands. I was really worried about EP who called my $100 cold on the turn with a player still to act behind him. I ended up pushing and got called by EP who showed pocket 9s for a set. I didn't get to see MP's hand as he mucked quickly after seeing the 9s.

KathleenStand, why check the turn? What would I do if someone put a pot-sized bet into me? With a flush draw, I'm not sure that's a good play.

JasonP530
11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
definite fold. You bet the flop and turn hard. When you bet the turn strong, and he raises a caller, and you, you're generally toast. Your best shot is if he has K9, giving you some outs, but on that board, a smooth call on the flop is a made hand, and you don't beat any real made hands.

yvesaint
11-22-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your best shot is if he has K9, giving you some outs,

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

scrapperdog
11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Either raise up AK pre flop or dont go broke with it. Dont limp then go broke with the hand. If you are gonna go all the way with the hand if an A or K comes at least raise it up pre flop. And dont show your cards.