PDA

View Full Version : easy lay down or not?

elmitchbo
11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
early in a stars multi. blind are 25/50. i'm about average in chips. the villain is on the button. he has me covered and has playing strangely... he might be good, or he might not be.

hero picks up 88 on the button.

3 limpers, and then a min raise form the villain. SB folds, and i call. 2 limpers call.

flop is 9TJ rainbow. $475 in the pot.

i decide to take a big swing at the pot(perhaps unwisely) and bet $400, leaving me with $1020 behind. the limpers fold. villian pushes allin. almost $2500 in the pot and it costs me all my chips to call.

easy lay down, or call getting 2.5:1?

results in white

<font color="white">i called. villain shows AJ and it holds up. </font>

Black Aces 518
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I think this is a pretty clear fold. You are getting 2.5:1, and that's about the odds needed to hit an openender. But you have the arse end, and hitting a Q, gives a better straight to someone that has a K. Also, there's a decent chance you could be drawing to runner runner against someone that has KQ. If he has KJ, you are drawing to 8s and 7s only. I would like it a lot better on, say, a 679 flop.

I'm not a huge fan of the lead out either, as he's probably only folding AK of the raising hands. Plus the limpers almost surely either have a higher pair than you or have an openended straight draw. I'm check-folding to all but the smallest bets here.

elmitchbo
11-22-2005, 12:50 AM
yea. i suck. thanks for the response.

the chances of KQ seemed pretty remote. the minraise is what really made me wonder if he had a real hand or not.

my thinking was if i knew he had AJ or KJ would i still want to call? bad decision on my part.

Black Aces 518
11-22-2005, 12:26 PM
If he flipped up AJ, you would have the odds to call, as you are a 2:1 dog getting 2.5:1. But you are a 3:1 dog to KJ and QQ, KK, etc. Same for KT. Also, as mentioned, you are 1 in 25 against KQ. Plus, you have other opponents between you still to act when you lead out the flop, it's not headsup. The chances no one has a pair or vg draw is minimal.

11-22-2005, 01:00 PM
two situations i try not to get all my money in.

1). TT-KK when an Ace flops
2). ass ends of straights.