PDA

View Full Version : travel/study/work/volunteer abroad

11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
has anyone ever done this? Where is a good place to go?...i'm leaning towards Europe, but I really have no idea how to go about doing this. I've read that some places let you stay with a family there, while others arrange an apartment. Anyone know anything about doing this? I'm not really looking to study anywhere because i will be graduating in december '06, but I wouldn't mind picking up another language or something. tell me what you know about this!

swede123
11-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Congratulations! You're today's winner of "pose a question without giving any useful details what so ever!"

Swede

11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
haha ok ok...i'll tell you whatever you want to know...as long as it pertains to traveling abroad. what other information is required?

11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations! You're today's winner of "pose a question without giving any useful details what so ever!"

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention she neglected to post any pics.

11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
sorry babe...i did that already, long time ago

11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa...I didn't mean of yourself.

11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa...I didn't mean of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]oh well that would be a step backwards...

mslif
11-21-2005, 02:31 PM
You should speak to your counselor, he or she will be able to point you in the right direction. It is hard to give you specifics when you are asking such a general question.

11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
thanks....really just wanted to know if anyone on oot has ever done something like study abroad, you know, get some personal testimonies, but apparently not

11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
you could easily study abroad in the fall 06 semester, unless leaving your school for your last semester is a bad thing. Depending on the program you go with, you usually have a choice to stay with a family or either a dorm, or apartment. As far as work goes, obtaining a work permit as an american to work a "normal job" in europe is not the easiiest thing to do. A good option is to go somewhere other then Britain, and teach english. I've spent a bunch of time stidying abroad the last two years, not europe however, and alot of my friends have taught english. If you go the work route, there will be less structure in terms of people finding you places to live. in my experiance though, finding shelter is rarely a problem. there ar lots of people wjo rent apartments to young foreigners. as for volunteering, research NGO's operating whereever you want to go. also look into internships.

mslif
11-21-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks....really just wanted to know if anyone on oot has ever done something like study abroad, you know, get some personal testimonies, but apparently not

[/ QUOTE ]

I am studying abroad /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I had a guidance counselor help me through the process as well as connections with the french embassy in Florida.
Studying in a different country has been a wonderful learning experience.

imported_anacardo
11-21-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should speak to your counselor, he or she will be able to point you in the right direction. It is hard to give you specifics when you are asking such a general question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her triumphant return! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M, M, M-S-LIF
M, M, M-S-LIF
M-S-LIF
M-S-LIF
FIGHT, FRENCHIE, FIGHT.

As for the OP: I've been to maybe a quarter of the United States. North of the Ohio River, once. Not what you'd call qualified to answer. I strongly approve of the idea, however!

11-21-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Her triumphant return! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M, M, M-S-LIF
M, M, M-S-LIF
M-S-LIF
M-S-LIF
FIGHT, FRENCHIE, FIGHT.

As for the OP: I've been to maybe a quarter of the United States. North of the Ohio River, once. Not what you'd call qualified to answer. I strongly approve of the idea, however!

[/ QUOTE ]omg! you need to get out a little /images/graemlins/grin.gif and i'm am excited to see mislif too /images/graemlins/smile.gif