PDA

View Full Version : Top Two facing aggression after a Pre-flop raise (stars .5/1)

jhall23
11-21-2005, 01:17 PM
4th hand at table, only know 1 opponent who was not involved in this hand. Got my stack up by floping an undefull when I posted from the CO. Did notice that villian was involved in a good amount of pot's while waiting to post but that is all I have.

Does anyone continue on with this hand and if so what's the plan?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG ($175.80)
UTG+1 ($99)
Hero ($126.40)
MP2 ($73)
MP3 ($165.65)
CO ($104.10)
Button ($94.15)
SB ($96.30)
BB ($99)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($12.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $41.9</font>

BluffTHIS!
11-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Since there is no flush draw and only gutshots for straight draws, the best scenario is that you are splitting. Plus you are out of position and have no draws yourself. Fold.

jhall23
11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since there is no flush draw and only gutshots for straight draws, the best scenario is that you are splitting. Plus you are out of position and have no draws yourself. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the quick reply Bluff. This may not change your answer, but I do have position in this hand. I was check/raised on the flop. My PFR bought me the button.

Also, can you clarify what you mean by only gutshots for straights? Is this a terminology thing I'm missing or do you just not expect to see something like T87x here which would give villian a wrap.

11-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Without a better read, you have to dump the hand IMO. At best, you are tied and have a better redraw. At worst you are drawing to runners for a big chunk of your stack. Muck and move on.

Against a player that you know could make this same play with nothing/bottom two as with the nuts, it becomes a much trickier situation, and one that I often struggle with, so I will leave it to others to comment upon.

BluffTHIS!
11-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Sorry I was too quick and did misread your position. That would make a difference if you a draw to go with top 2, but otherwise not and thus a fold is indicated. You are right about the lower straight draws, but what I meant was something like QJTx and not on the lower end. Players usually don't play the lower end draws fast because a card that makes them can make someone else a higher straight. But this would be player dependent stuff.

The problem is that even having position here and suspecting a straight draw is being played overaggressively, even when he blanks the turn he is still most likely going to pot it unless he things you are capable of slowplaying a set here in position with that kind of board. Top 2 in omaha when you have no draws to go with it is often like TPTK in no limit where you would prefer to keep the pot small. So barring a strong read that you are winning, in which case you should reraise, then I would still prefer to fold.

Also another possible holding he could have to get you to dump is something like KQJT where he has the same made hand plus a straight draw, and thus a type of freeroll. Again that is another situation to avoid playing a big pot in.