PDA

View Full Version : How Narrow Is This Guy's Range Preflop?

11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
(I couldn't find a quick example in my recent HHs, so I stole a hand from betgo; hope he doesn't mind.)

20-table SNG 12 players left.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG (t33885)
MP (t27259)
CO (t13048)
Button (t32896)
Hero (t15606)
BB (t34251)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t1200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t2400.

So, assuming we're readless, my question is how much can we narrow down UTG's range, and how should this influence our postflop play.

My suspicion is that his range is pretty narrow, but I certainly could be wrong.

Exitonly
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
he's got a lot of chips and it's shorthanded, i don't think it's all that narrow.. could have almost any pair, some suited broadway-connectors, some other suited connectors.

i'd guess: 55+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,JTs,T9s,AJo+

11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's got a lot of chips and it's shorthanded, i don't think it's all that narrow.. could have almost any pair, some suited broadway-connectors, some other suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think this is AJ+, or TT-QQ often?

Rduke55
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It looks like he had a reasonable hand (but maybe not for ep), limped to get a cheap flop, called the raise since it will be heads-up and looking to outflop you. Remember, you knew it would be only him when you raised and he knows that. So he puts you on a bigger range too.

Plus it is shorthanded.

Exitonly
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think this is AJ+, or TT-QQ often?

[/ QUOTE ]

boh good point.

55-TT,A9s-ATs,KJs+,QJs,JTs,T9s,AJo

11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
This just happened to me in a tourney actually, UTG called, I raised to knock him out with AK and he called. Flop was 7K6 and I pushed and he shows me 76o.

Guy could be holding a lot of stuff, most likely a pocket pair 99 on down probably, JQ-109 sorts of hands, maybe suited connectors.

My read is hes looking for a cheap flop with a speculative hand that is either gonna hit or not, he doesnt expect to have the best hand or he wouldn't have just called OOP.

Thats just my two cents.