PDA

View Full Version : tortilla/iron skillet trip report

turnipmonster
11-21-2005, 12:49 PM
so I got a cast iron skillet yesterday and after much deliberation decided to make some corn tortillas and have tacos. mainly I decided on this because I also have a tortilla press and a big bag of masa harina.

I usually prefer flour tortillas but I must say homemade corn tortillas rock and they're definitely better than any store bought tortillas. making tortillas is easy, you just mix 2 cups of masa and 1.5 cups water and form a bunch of dough balls, then press the dough in the tortilla press and cook on the iron skillet. the hardest part of tortilla making is getting them off the press (covered in saran wrap) in one piece. the trick is, if one tears, just set it on the other piece with a slight overlap and press it again.

the iron skillet works way, way, way better than the saute pan I used on my last tortilla making adventure. it doesn't burn them or dry them out and the heat is way more even.

for the filling I used refried beans, green chiles, jalapenos and corn. also added a little jack cheese and topped with habanero salsa. all this was accompanied by sierra nevada porter, which was good but not great.

--turnipmonster

11-21-2005, 12:50 PM
You forgot the meat. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

vulturesrow
11-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Turnip,

Learn how to make cornbread. Making it in the iron skillet is the only correct way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

turnipmonster
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
cornbread is next on the list!

Paluka
11-21-2005, 02:11 PM
good lord are you going to invite me over for this hot vegetarian action or what?

turnipmonster
11-21-2005, 02:29 PM
if I can get good avocados I will invite everyone over for guacamole and tacos. bdk3clash can vouch for my guac /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Paluka
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I can get good avocados I will invite everyone over for guacamole and tacos. bdk3clash can vouch for my guac /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds awesome. I'll bring the bad beat stories.

astroglide
11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good lord are you going to invite me over for this hot vegetarian action or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/archives/Gay%20Batman.jpg