PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-Man Band Ever

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Since OOT loves to argue music I thought I would set-up a poll to decide once and for all the best 3-man band of all-time. If you vote other please fill us in.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I hurt me to diss Motorhead, but Hendrix must be honoured.

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Green Day is on this poll, and Double Trouble isn't.

whiskeytown
11-21-2005, 10:05 AM
You have committed a grevious and cardinal error in your poll.

You left off "The Police"

Greatest 3 man band ever - individually and creatively all three just kicked ultimate ass on their instruments and nothing could match Sting when he was young and pissed.

Can't believe a poll with 3 man bands would even consider leaving the Police off.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Green Day is on this poll, and Double Trouble isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

All apologies to Stevie Ray who should have been on the list. (Pssst --- I put Green Day on the poll to weed out anyone under 22)

Vavavoom
11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Ahem,

Where are BUSTED ?? <font color="white"> Thats a joke BTW ! </font>

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Greatest 3 man band ever - individually and creatively all three just kicked ultimate ass on their instruments and nothing could match Sting when he was young and pissed.

Can't believe a poll with 3 man bands would even consider leaving the Police off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Police was a tough call ( I was listening to their box set last night), but I am still pissed off about Synchronicity and the Don't Stand So Close '84 butchered remix.

whiskeytown
11-21-2005, 10:11 AM
You should listen to the Live double CD they did of two concerts - one in 79 and one in 82.

You'd have to be a musician to understand...if someone wants to play a police song everyone in the band winces, cause all the parts are so tough.

Live they were able to fill out the sound with no issue except for some backup singers - it's the fullest three piece sound I ever heard....

Really shoulda put them on the list - even that last album was good...the remix alone doesn't justify the suckage -

hurry go back and edit the poll

RB

elwoodblues
11-21-2005, 10:14 AM
The Police was my first response before looking at the list.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Argh, you cannot edit the a poll? Only the text!!! Oh well, all apologies to Police fans, just start a write-in candidacy. I will count up votes for the Police.

samjjones
11-21-2005, 10:31 AM
The Beatles minus a drummer.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Beatles then /images/graemlins/smile.gif

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Van Halen minus a singer?

diebitter
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Smiths minus a singer?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Fishwhenican
11-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Out of the bands on this list it's RUSH hands down.
If The Police were on here it would be a tough call but I would still lean towards RUSH simply because they have stayed together as a band and they just plain and simple kick ass.

I saw RUSH live, back in the day, and they were simply off the planet good. Never had the pleasure of seeing The Police live but I would bet they were knock down drag out good as well.

2planka
11-21-2005, 11:03 AM
The Police

pokerjoker
11-21-2005, 11:37 AM
The fact that nirvana is coming in 1st really shows the avg age of posters here.

Mason Hellmuth
11-21-2005, 11:39 AM
'80s Floyd man!!

<font color="white">Totally kidding. Obviously it's Rush.</font>

Soul Daddy
11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Smiths minus a singer?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mason55
11-21-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that nirvana is coming in 1st really shows the avg age of posters here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nirvana was really not very good /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Nirvana is a unique case. Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain. I never got into them when they were hot, but have rediscovered them once I realized how much I like Foo Fighters. (I did not vote for them BTW)

I think the problem I have with Rush (awesome live) is that they have more average to bad albums than good/solid ones. They definitely win the longevity award.

zephed
11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Ahahahahahah! Nirvana?

bwana devil
11-21-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nirvana was really not very good /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not very good? /images/graemlins/confused.gif ill give you that they were overrated only because any band that was that popular must surely be overrated. i dont know how anyone can say they werent "very good" though.

btw i think they were freakin great. listening to them now.

Soul Daddy
11-21-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apparently like Nirvana more than most people on this board, but c'mon.

crunchy1
11-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Chick Corea's Akoustic Band

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you listened to Foo Fighters? I am shocked that Grohl managed to stay on the drums. Since Cobain doesn't have a large catalogue it is hard to argue who is the better song writer, but I think its is much closer than Cobain worshippers would care to admit.

Soul Daddy
11-21-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you listened to Foo Fighters? I am shocked that Grohl managed to stay on the drums. Since Cobain doesn't have a large catalogue it is hard to argue who is the better song writer, but I think its is much closer than Cobain worshippers would care to admit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've listened to Foo Fighters enough to know that Groehl does nothing for me. I'm hardly a Cobain worshipper.

RunDownHouse
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would still lean towards RUSH simply because they have stayed together as a band

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, let's penalize Jimi for dying. Rush isn't even in the top three here. The Jimi Hendrix Experience takes #1 for me.

nicky g
11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
"Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain."

You are smoking some serious crack.

The answer is Nirvana by a very very long way. Another three man band I liked a lot were Morphine, whose frontman is also dead.

Georgia Avenue
11-21-2005, 12:37 PM
On the list its nirvana (Xclose)

Other: The Gories, and I'm not just sucking up.

It might also be: minutemen, grand funk railroad, john spenser blues explosion, or beat happening.

ChipWrecked
ZZTop

dibbs
Corea does indeed rock.

MonkeeMan
11-21-2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.onkeykaraoke.com/images/dynamic/feature/en/CelebPics/DixieChicks.jpg

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 12:53 PM
I almost put Minutemen on the list, but I doubt more than 3 of us heard them in their prime. Other obscure ones I liked are Dinosaur Jr, Triumph and Raven.

imported_anacardo
11-21-2005, 12:53 PM
From this list, it's Jimi Hendrix Experience, followed by Nirvana, then Cream. Green Day has made a really strong push with their last two albums to end up just shy of this group. I'm not really qualified to judge the artistic value of metal outfits. I hate RUSH. I love early Police. [censored] you, Sting.

MonkeeMan
11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Having seen both Hendrix and Cream, I rate them dead even. Hendrix individually was the best ever, but Cream ties it up because all three members were awesome. Of course we're talking 36(?) years and tons of drugs ago.

razor
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since OOT loves to argue music I thought I would set-up a poll to decide once and for all the best 3-man band of all-time. If you vote other please fill us in.

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you making a distinction between 3-person bands and 4-person bands where the lead singer doesn't play an instrument. We are basically talking about 3 piece band + singer. Making a distinction between bands that have someone sing and play an instrument and bands where everyone only does one thing seems meaningless to me.

brettbrettr
11-21-2005, 01:44 PM
OMG how is The Police not on this list?

11-21-2005, 01:51 PM
who the [censored] voted for nirvana over rush or hendrix ?

swede123
11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
While personally not a huge fan I'd think Rush should get the nod of the choices given. Nirvana winning this is akin to Christmas Vacation winning the "best Xmas movie" poll. It really shouldn't happen but it does anyway since this is OOT.

Swede

nothumb
11-21-2005, 02:00 PM
The Police is probably the most grievous error in terms of who you left off.

My favorite 3 piece is Morphine. I am constantly impressed by how much sound they created with just bass, drums and baritone sax.

Other good recent 3-pieces include Jawbreaker and Karate.

NT

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you making a distinction between 3-person bands and 4-person bands where the lead singer doesn't play an instrument. We are basically talking about 3 piece band + singer. Making a distinction between bands that have someone sing and play an instrument and bands where everyone only does one thing seems meaningless to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many 4-piece bands have singers who never play an instrument on their albums? Bono and Daltry both play guitar in concert.

swede123
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Also, honorable mention to Chicago....oh wait, you asked about 3-man bands, not 33-man bands.

Swede

TheMetetron
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Besides the fact that Green Day probably doesn't belong on this list, they also aren't exactly a 3 man band. A lot of songs have 4 or more instruments going at a time and if you see them live there's about 7 people in the band.

lem45216
11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Im thinking the order should go

Hendrix
Cream
The Police

Im listening to hendrix right now and musically the guy is unbelivable. The rhythm section are awesomely tight aswell. Cream are probably on par with TJHE skill wise but i don't think their songs were quite as strong as Jimmy's.
The Police should definitely be on this list. Again they're all very talented, especially Stuart Copeland and sting wrote some awesome songs. His best songs are probably as good, if not better than Jimmy's, plus he had a better voice. Unfortunately he's a bit of a knob and also did the odd crap song and so comes 3rd.

I really don't see what the fuss about Nirvana is.

zephed
11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would still lean towards RUSH simply because they have stayed together as a band

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, let's penalize Jimi for dying. Rush isn't even in the top three here. The Jimi Hendrix Experience takes #1 for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
And your number 2 is Cream or The Police, right?

brettbrettr
11-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Its hard to pick Hendrix seeing as he would semi-regularly do both the guitar *and* bass parts in the studio. So it was a 2 man band, a lot fo the time.

If you're looking for a 3 musicians who each added tons musically, I don't see how anyone cannot choose the Police.

Fishwhenican
11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually referring to The Police vs. RUSH.
Hendrix was OK but he just never really did much for me. Of course I am a little bit wierd musically anyways. I am one of those people who believe Todd Rundgren is akin to GOD! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

hhughes
11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Jimi by a mile...Cream 2nd...Police 3rd...and that little band from Texas...a VERY close fourth...

I saw the Top before they were huge...probably one the best concerts I ever saw. And they were the warm-up band to Jackson Browne!!!!!!

Not having them along with the Police is a Grievous error IMO....

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I think a lot of people underestimate just how good Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell of the Experience were at bass and drums.

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Green Day and Nirvana are two extremely popular, groundbreaking, influential bands. They changed music in America. If you don't like them, well, that's your right. But to say that they "aren't very good" is just being ignorant.

I have never seen Rush live (sadly), I'm not a fan of Cream even though I really like Eric Clapton, and I simply like Green Day more than Hendrix or Nirvana. So thats where my vote goes.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Did the Jam break in America? They were awesomely good!

imported_The Vibesman
How exactly has Green Day changed modern music again?

man
the fact that nirvana is beating the jimi hendrix experience, primus, and cream is making me die a little inside.

razor
11-21-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many 4-piece bands have singers who never play an instrument on their albums? Bono and Daltry both play guitar in concert.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many 3-piece bands don't use additional instruments (or mucisians) on their albums? You think Andy Summers or Hendrix never laid down two or more guitar parts on a song?

Bono and Daltry play guitar on a couple songs in a concert... If you want to exlude them from the 3 piece + singer category, that shouldn't be the reason. On the other hand, the Who used a keyboard player in their concerts and U2 uses sequencers on a significant number of their songs in concert.

istewart
11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Cream probably had the potential to be the best trio ever but come on, they had less material than Nirvana.

nicky g
11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While personally not a huge fan I'd think Rush should get the nod of the choices given. Nirvana winning this is akin to Christmas Vacation winning the "best Xmas movie" poll. It really shouldn't happen but it does anyway since this is OOT.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only now getting a feel for what a sad bunch of old losers make up a significant proportion of OOT.

I mean Jimi Hendrix I can respect, but Rush... Save us.

istewart
11-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I consider myself a pretty decent Rush fan but the answer is DEFINITELY not Rush.

nicky g
11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
"My favorite 3 piece is Morphine. I am constantly impressed by how much sound they created with just bass, drums and baritone sax. "

Snap (see my earlier post). I'm surprised to see someone else mention them.

MonkeeMan
11-21-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only now getting a feel for what a sad bunch of old losers make up a significant proportion of OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lump this old loser in with the Rush lovers. I'd rate them last in this poll.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cream probably had the potential to be the best trio ever but come on, they had less material than Nirvana.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both put out 4 studio albums. Cream had I think 3 or 4 live albums to Nirvana's one unplugged album. Hardly less material. Both influenced a multitude of bands that followed.

I am shocked at the Nirvana love, I thought Green Day would get the youngster vote, but clearly I was mistaken. Also, while The Police was a HORRIBLE oversight on part, ZZ Top was not.

daryn
11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides the fact that Green Day probably doesn't belong on this list, they also aren't exactly a 3 man band. A lot of songs have 4 or more instruments going at a time and if you see them live there's about 7 people in the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

green day is a 3 man band, end of story. doesn't matter who appears on the album or who plays with them live. they are a 3 man band! metallica played with an orchestra.. are they a 40 man band?

razor
11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

green day is a 3 man band, end of story. doesn't matter who appears on the album or who plays with them live. they are a 3 man band! metallica played with an orchestra.. are they a 40 man band?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are smarter than this.

daryn
11-21-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are smarter than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. i should have realized how obvious it was that green day was 3 man, and just let it alone.

SuitedSixes
11-21-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Day was also the first punk band to play in front of very large audiences, and set up their own shows with 50,000+ attendence.

In other words, they were the first punk band to hit it big. I'd say thats pretty influential.

samjjones
11-21-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Day was also the first punk band to play in front of very large audiences, and set up their own shows with 50,000+ attendence.

In other words, they were the first punk band to hit it big. I'd say thats pretty influential.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Sex Pistols and Ramones are thrilled with that.

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Sex Pistols and Ramones are thrilled with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think The Clash is sitting there with a "What The ****?" look on their face, as well.

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't understand. What does The Clash have to do with Green Day?

RunDownHouse
11-21-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And your number 2 is Cream or The Police, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Those are my 2 and 3, respectively.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. What does The Clash have to do with Green Day?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned punk rock.

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Are they normally considered punk? The Clash actually just came on my playlist like ten minutes ago. I woulden't think of them as punk, but I'm no music expert.

diebitter
11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are they normally considered punk? The Clash actually just came on my playlist like ten minutes ago. I woulden't think of them as punk, but I'm no music expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure aren't! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 03:33 PM
When I think of punk, I think of much more hardcore music than the Clash or the Ramones (two bands I like btw). Although, Green Day is closer to the two of them than to hardcore music, so I guess it makes sense.

Anyway, I'm an idiot. The thing I said about them playing in front of their own 50,000 fans comes directly from Green Day, so if I'm wrong then they are wrong.

istewart
11-21-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I think of punk, I think of much more hardcore music than the Clash or the Ramones (two bands I like btw).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. But then you don't really know what punk music is. Google "history of punk" and those two bands will almost certainly be in the first paragraph of whatever you find.

I think of Green Day as much more "influenced" than "influential."

diebitter
11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I love the fact that someone going on about punk bands doesn't know the Clash is a punk band. They come second after the pistols pretty much in English punk lore.

HAHAHAHAHA!

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I think of punk, I think of much more hardcore music than the Clash or the Ramones (two bands I like btw).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. But then you don't really know what punk music is. Google "history of punk" and those two bands will almost certainly be in the first paragraph of whatever you find.

I think of Green Day as much more "influenced" than "influential."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My thoughts for including them here is that they are the band most likely (for better or worse) to influence what comes next.

11-21-2005, 03:43 PM
WTF WHO BROKE MY CAPS LOCK???

TheRover
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...I don't know what to say. If you know so little about a subject you should really stfu about it. Feel shame.

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I know. But you gotta admit, the kid's got a great avatar.

PokerFink
11-21-2005, 03:46 PM
In no way was I "going on" about punk bands. All I did was repeat something that Green Day has said themselves to back up my statement that they are an influential band.

Georgia Avenue
11-21-2005, 03:51 PM
LOLlygaggers...

By the way, I forgot the jam...
Here's the real poll...

JeffO
11-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Police

You can end the poll now.

brettbrettr
11-21-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people underestimate just how good Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell of the Experience were at bass and drums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to make this point when Jimi Hendrix was one of these people, dont you think? I guess, you could say that Jimi didn't think much of anyone's guitar abilities, but...

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to make this point when Jimi Hendrix was one of these people, dont you think? I guess, you could say that Jimi didn't think much of anyone's guitar abilities, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Sting thought so much of his bandmates in The Police that he hasn't played with them in over a decade. This doesn't prove a thing.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
You Hendrix fans should enjoy this story. back when Jimi was an up-in-comer he played a gig in a bar in Tampa. Don't know how many people were actually there but, at best, it was in the hundreds. After the first song or two someone started heckling Jimi. Jimi responded by playing the reminder of the set with his back to the audience.

tomdemaine
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
MUSE!

MonkeeMan
11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You Hendrix fans should enjoy this story. back when Jimi was an up-in-comer he played a gig in a bar in Tampa. Don't know how many people were actually there but, at best, it was in the hundreds. After the first song or two someone started heckling Jimi. Jimi responded by playing the reminder of the set with his back to the audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

For pure hilarity, how about the fact that Hendrix opened for the Monkees on tour. What a trip.

4_2_it
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For pure hilarity, how about the fact that Hendrix opened for the Monkees on tour. What a trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the Monkees would be at the top of this list if they were a 3-man band.

ChipWrecked
11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw an interview with Mickey Dolenz where he talked about that tour, and how bad he felt for Hendrix. He said Jimi gave the teenybopper fans the one-finger salute more than once. "We want the Monkees! Weeeee want the Monkeeeeeeees!"

"[censored] yoooooooou!"

samjjones
11-21-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the Monkees would be at the top of this list if they were a 3-man band.

[/ QUOTE ]
Close, but the correct answer would be "Neil Diamond and any two guys off the street".

brettbrettr
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So? Sting thought so much of his bandmates in The Police that he hasn't played with them in over a decade. This doesn't prove a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare one musican re-doing another musician's parts on an album and a band breaking up. Bands break up for lots of reasons. But there are very few reasons why one guy would play another's instrument.

imported_The Vibesman
11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare one musican re-doing another musician's parts on an album and a band breaking up. Bands break up for lots of reasons. But there are very few reasons why one guy would play another's instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enlighten me, because I don't know:

How many bass parts does Hendrix play on the Experience's recordings? Out of how many total?

You say "re-doing." Was there a time that Redding cut a part, and Hendrix re-cut it because it wasn't good enough?

How many of these parts are because Hendrix thought he could play them better than Redding and not other reasons?

Is it possible that Hendrix knew what he wanted immediately and did not want to take the time to show Redding what he wanted, or Hendrix had written a specific part the night before and wanted to cut it that day, or Redding was away from the studio for some reason?

Stevie Ray Vaughan plays drums on the recorded version of Empty Arms on Soul To Soul. Stevie didn't think Chris Layton was a bad drummer. He just wanted to get the tune done and Chris wasn't there.

Bruce Springsteen plays bass (and piano) on Blinded By The Light, from Greetings From Asbury Park. He knew what he wanted, so he just played it. He doesn't think less of Garry Tallent.

Studio time costs a lot of money, and in the studio you'll do whatever goes fastest, if it works.

I don't know enough about the Experience sessions to speak definitively about why Hendrix might have played some of Redding's parts. All I can find in quick internet research is that Hendrix played OCCASIONAL bass.

I think if this is your only reason for denying that Redding is one of the best bass rock and roll bass players ever, that it's pretty weak.

Maybe Hendrix really didn't think much of Redding, but it's going to take more proof than "he recorded some of his parts."

Dave Mason plays acoustic guitar on "All Along The Watchtower," is that because Hendrix didn't think he could handle it himself?

Jbrochu
11-21-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Hendrix really didn't think much of Redding, but it's going to take more proof than "he recorded some of his parts."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about how he use to introduce him as "Bob Dillon's grandmother"?

Quinn Warren
11-21-2005, 05:50 PM
1. Minutemen
2. Nirvana
3. Hendrix

brettbrettr
11-21-2005, 06:08 PM
I read it in a book. He did most if not all of his bass parts on Axis, IIRC. I think this was the book, but I don't own it anymore. Read it for yourself if you want. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446394319/102-4447130-4030500?v=glance&amp;n=283155&amp;s=books&amp;v=glance)

oh, and this

[ QUOTE ]
You say "re-doing." Was there a time that Redding cut a part, and Hendrix re-cut it because it wasn't good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

is why Jimi redid it. I'm sure he thought he was better than Redding. He probably thought (correctly) that he was better than everyone. But it is significant that he only did his parts on one album, IMO.

Citing one song from SRV and one from the Boss is not the same as Jimi laying down 10-12 tracks of stuff Redding should have been doing. This harkens back to you citing the Police's breakup as Sting implicitly saying he didn't think Summers or Copeland were good, which is retarded. I forgive you this time, b/c you haven't read the book and don't know all the facts and I don't remember it well enough to tell you. I would just like to point out, constuctively, that you have a bad habit reflex of inventing really bad analogies.

11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have committed a grevious and cardinal error in your poll. You left off "Hanson"

[/ QUOTE ]

billymonk
11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Primus. First band that came to mind, even before I knew it was a poll.

Dominic
11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't think Green Day should be on a poll titled "best 3-man band with lead singers named Billie Joe," much less the one you've listed.

11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense you are a prog-virgin