PDA

View Full Version : cool chess book

04-23-2002, 10:29 AM
how to defend in chess, by colin crouch.

i dont even play chess anymore, but picked this book up because its pretty good and has a lot of diagrams so i can follow along.

brad

04-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Crouch is an ok writer. I liked his story on the Hastings Premier won jointly by Polgar/Bareev a few years back.

But I think playing defense in chess is not something you can be taught. You either have the intestinal fortitude to sit there and grovel or you don't.

04-23-2002, 11:55 AM
youre the player, not me, but the reason i like th book is because he goes over some games by lasker and petrosian, a lot of games that chess players know, and talks about them in historical terms and stuff, and i just like it.

brad

04-24-2002, 05:29 AM
"You either have the intestinal fortitude to sit there and grovel or you don't. "

04-24-2002, 08:49 AM
**But I think playing defense in chess is not something you can be taught. You either have the intestinal fortitude to sit there and grovel or you don't.

I can grovel with the best of them...

SPM,...if you can't beat them ware them out...

04-24-2002, 04:03 PM
I think in our game, I proved I'm not above grovelling for a draw!

04-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Crouch wrote a good endgame book with Mednis - I think it was called "test your endgame" or something to that effect. I'll have to check this one out.

04-24-2002, 07:00 PM
If you get serious about chess, then studying the endgame is critical. I've been told by many masters that they usually beat their well-playing opponents in the endgame rather than the opening or middle game. In fact, they often leave the middle game positionally behind but can quickly recover because most chess players are clueless about playing endgames.

If you're interested in studying the endgame, I can reccomend these books.

1.Just the Facts! by GM Lev Alburt & GM Nikolay Krogius.

This is the perfect "first" endgame book for you. It starts with the most basice endgame, King and pawn vs. King, and builds to more complex multi-piece endgames.

2.Endgame Challenge! by John Hall

This is a book of 451 puzzles. It's a great complement to Alburt's book.

3.Endgame Strategy by Mikhail Shereshevsky

This is a classic. It's much more advanced than Alburt's book and is a must-read for anybody striving to become a master.

4.Capablanca's Best Chess Enings by Irving Chernev

This book contains 60 anotated games by Capablanca. Each game focuses on Capablanca's excellent endgame play.

04-25-2002, 05:54 AM
they ever get reuben fine's book into algebraic notation?

brad

04-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Nope...I still have my old descriptive notation version chock full with all the errors that Larry Evans ever found.

Just read the rules for endgame play on the last page, and you'll know enough to get by.

04-25-2002, 04:25 PM

04-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Can I take it your game was a draw?

I looked in the archive and couldn't find out what happened.

04-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Is there a ConJelCo equivalent for chess books?

I am looking for my own copy of a chess book that I really liked (my brother has the family copy). The title is "Winning Chess" by Chernev and Rienfeld (spelling may be wrong). I think it was printed in the 50's and it is not carried by Amazon.

If you think there is something better out there that does a better job presenting the same material (tactics) at a similar level of explanation, I would be interested in hearing about it.

04-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Because your such a big winning gambler, just go buy a Chessbase database.

04-26-2002, 01:13 PM
i think silman has a couple good books at the local bookstore (amateurs mind, planning in chess or something like that).

brad

04-26-2002, 01:15 PM
well, it was just an impulse buy. i thumbed through it and liked it so i bought it.

my rating on icc is only like 1500 you know.

brad

04-26-2002, 03:35 PM
e-mail Gus Gosselin at this address:

ggosse1600@aol.com

Gus sells chess books/equipment and runs chess events in Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island for a supplemental income. If he doesn't already have the book you're looking for, he would know how to get it.

04-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Yes it got down to R+P vs R and I held it

04-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Amateur's Mind is very good. Silman is also a cool guy, I met him at North Bay 1999.

04-27-2002, 01:18 PM
If you don't have Averbahk's collection, then you don't have anything.