PDA

View Full Version : 4-player HU on stars?

gildwulf
11-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Does anyone play these or could anyone figure out if these are +EV for a solid HU player? For anyone who doesn't know, there are two rounds and last man standing wins it all. I am guessing these are high variance but the 2-for-1 rake is really attractive.

I'm interested in hearing what other HU players think of these.

11-21-2005, 04:10 AM
I hate them. The variance is clearly higher, and the second player tends to be better than the first.

The Yugoslavian
11-21-2005, 04:10 AM
You waste time waiting for the longer game to finish when you mop up your opponent in level 1.

Of course they are +EV for a good player....what the hell kinda question is that?!?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yugoslav

gildwulf
11-21-2005, 04:15 AM
I meant more +EV than regular HU.

11-21-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I meant more +EV than regular HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably played ~30 of those at the 5.25 and 10.50, so my sample is pathetic, but I considered the second table to be much more challenging than a regular HU SnG. I checked my HD to see if I kept my results on a spreadsheet somewhere but didn't find anything.

raptor517
11-21-2005, 04:23 AM
meh, they are kinda fun to mess around with, and are def profitable, but again, dont play heads up to make money, play it to improve your game. your $/hr will be way higher at any number of games you play simply because HU requires so much concentration so doing more than 4 tables is pretty ridiculous. holla

GrekeHaus
11-21-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate them. The variance is clearly higher, and the second player tends to be better than the first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played them once, but didn't really see the point. You'll more frequently get the better of two opponents in the second round, so your EV will be smaller. And even if your EV is the same, your variance will be double.

I'd just stick to the normal HU matches.

gildwulf
11-21-2005, 04:36 AM
Alright, thanks. On a sidenote since I don't want to start another thread, how do you guys track HU matches? Is there a HU spreadsheet? Hood's program doesn't work and Slim Picken's and Aleomagus' don't have the options. I guess Pokertracker manual entry?

11-21-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, thanks. On a sidenote since I don't want to start another thread, how do you guys track HU matches? Is there a HU spreadsheet? Hood's program doesn't work and Slim Picken's and Aleomagus' don't have the options. I guess Pokertracker manual entry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just use a spreadsheet I made myself. I just raise the win/loss number of whatever stakes I'm playing and it tells me total profit, WIN%, and ROI. It took about 2 minutes to make.

bugstud
11-21-2005, 04:44 AM
making a spreadsheet is so easy

11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I played my first last night, thinking it would be a quick game to end the evening with. My first opponent did not show up -- it took a bit over 30 minutes to blind him out.

I would imagine that the ROI in a 4-player $5+0.25 would be less than the ROI in a 2-player $10+0.50 because your opponent in the money round will on average be tougher (having already won a HU). Probably a very small difference, but a difference none-the-less.

the shadow
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
+s
< rake
2d opponent somewhat better than 1st opponent about 2/3 time

-s
> variance
> downtime

The Shadow