PDA

View Full Version : Makes sense to NOT move up?

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 01:45 AM
If you're absolutely killing one of the intermediate levels like the $33s, doesn't it make more sense NOT to move up? I've seen a lot of posts stating that people are killing a certain level like the $33s at like a 45% ROI and it seems like if you're doing so, DON'T move up because there's no way you'll make that kind of $$$$ at the $55s or the $109s or the $215s.

I play a comparable level to the $33s (although I play the six-handed stars tourneys, so I'm not sure how the ROI and such would differ), and with just a few hundred tourneys I'm killing them for a 31% ROI. At this rate, based on what the FAQ says the expected ROI is for the higher levels, I'm not sure I'd want to move up!!! Anyone else feel staying at the mid levels is better than moving up?

In order to make the same $$$$ as I do now by moving up to the $55s, I'd have to be cruising at a 20% ROI and I'm not sure that's possible as the competition starts getting more pro at that limit...

runner4life7
11-21-2005, 01:52 AM
did you happen to look at the ROI for the 30s on the same page? how about you look again and realize what a "heater" is

splashpot
11-21-2005, 02:03 AM
20%ROI at the $33s is the same as 12%ROI at the $55s. Of course it makes sense to move up.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Alright, assuming I accept the fact that I'm on a 700 tourney heater (which actually I agree with), I'm asking if there are people who actually prefer to play a the 33s over the 55s or the 55s over the 109s because the $$$$ just works out better in the long run

runner4life7
11-21-2005, 02:37 AM
with that said, actually I am one of those that prefers the 30s over the 55s, with about 1000 30s played and 300 50s played.

Slim Pickens
11-21-2005, 02:41 AM
You can make some arguement for not moving up if

a) your ROI is higher at the 33's (probably true)
b) you can play more tables at the 33's because the fewer starting chips leave you with fewer complicated hands and more push/fold preflop per tournament.

Play around with different ROI and # of tables, as well as maybe 10 min less per tournament (or 5 per set if you play in sets) and see what you get.

durron597
11-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Thread 1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3034170&page=0)

Thread 2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3243872&page=0)

Thread over

Slim Pickens
11-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Durron is going citanul on us tonight.

EDIT: got it before it got locked! woot.

raptor517
11-21-2005, 03:11 AM
i assure you even the 119 turbo 6 maxes on stars are about as donkey filled as the 22s on party. you wont have too much trouble. holla

GrekeHaus
11-21-2005, 04:47 AM
You will make more at the 55s than the 33s if your ROI at the 55s is 3/5 of your ROI at the 33s. If you have a decent ROI at the 33s, this should be possible, but if your ROI is small, you might make less or even lose at the higher levels.

Other things to consider:

1) It might be worth moving up even if you make less money at the 55s if you're interested in working on your total game. However, if your ROI is small enough that you make less money, you probably can still learn quite a bit at the 33s.

2) The 33s start with fewer chips so the games go faster. Thus, a similar win rate in terms of $/tournament will make you more $/hour at the 33s.

3) A similar win rate at the 33s will have fewer significant downswings because the absolute ROI is higher.

chisness
11-21-2005, 05:25 AM
think about a couple things:

1) if you move up past a certain level, the competition might at some point become so difficult that you have to reduce the number of tables you play or suffer because you need to focus on player characteristics more. this level is at least $50.

2) are the swings going to be emotionally too much for you? the $50 to $100 and $100 to $200 large jumps will result in massively larger swings because roi will be lower and (obv) the stakes are higher. it's very possible that 50 cents more per tournament in the long isn't worth having nights where you'll lose $1500 instead of your normal awful downswing of $600 (numbers chosen fairly randomly).

edit: 3) rb/vip also can be significant when you move up

raptor517
11-21-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
think about a couple things:

1) if you move up past a certain level, the competition might at some point become so difficult that you have to reduce the number of tables you play or suffer because you need to focus on player characteristics more. this level is at least $50.

2) are the swings going to be emotionally too much for you? the $50 to $100 and $100 to $200 large jumps will result in massively larger swings because roi will be lower and (obv) the stakes are higher. it's very possible that 50 cents more per tournament in the long isn't worth having nights where you'll lose $1500 instead of your normal awful downswing of $600 (numbers chosen fairly randomly).

edit: 3) rb/vip also can be significant when you move up

[/ QUOTE ]

point number 3 makes quite a bit of diff too.. the rakeback jump can help like 2-3 bucks per tourney. thats pretty nice if yer a large volume player. its worth the swings for a couple hundo extra per day. or not.. actually i hate dropping 4k in an evening session and it being normal. holla

chisness
11-21-2005, 06:21 AM
exactly, in my opinion losing a couple thousand a night would cause lots of problems with school and doing work cause when i'm down i usually like to keep playing hoping the cooler warms up, so if i have a pset due the next day, it might come last. being used to this at the college age can also probably screw up our concept of money for when we get regular jobs. also, it sucks going to sleep knowing you were $4000 richer 5 hours before.

on the other hand, we are playing a gambling game and maybe this just means only those cut out to handle the swings can be the biggest winners.

durron597
11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Durron is going citanul on us tonight.

EDIT: got it before it got locked! woot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I wasn't planning to lock this one. But he asked about making more at the 33s because of worse play, and I supplied him the threads that answered his question.

Hornacek
11-21-2005, 10:25 AM
a) I don't understand why everyone is telling him about the chip sizes... he already told us he plays at Stars, so the starting chip count is irrelevant.

b) Having 1500 chips to start out may also account for his higher ROI, since these tournies take longer, which are more favorable to the better players.

c) If you're doing well at the $33s, the $55s aren't much tougher. It's not like a magical switch will get turned on where all the players are super gosu.

d) What are you trying to do: make money or get better at poker? If it's getting better at poker, move up. If it's making money: are you happy with the amount you make at the $33s right now? The $55s on Party are absolutely donktastic.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i assure you even the 119 turbo 6 maxes on stars are about as donkey filled as the 22s on party. you wont have too much trouble. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

my problem with this level is that it's 5 minute rounds instead of ten. I don't get why they don't run a non-turbo version of this.

11-21-2005, 11:09 AM
People don't stay back because they know in their heart of hearts that 43% is not sustainable. Might as well take the heater to the next level and hope it lasts a little while longer at the higher stakes.

pooh74
11-21-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you happen to look at the ROI for the 30s on the same page? how about you look again and realize what a "heater" is

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing in the FAQ is THAT relevant to OP's q. The 6 handed games at stars have 1500 in chips, slow blinds (10minutes?), and different payout structure (70-30??).

I assume he plays the 36s or whatever it is. These games allow, and actually REQUIRE a lot of poker to be played. NOt only do blind-stack ratio stay wide, but the blinds come around fast so a lot of post flop poker is necessary. This will usually allow cream to rise to the top and I wouldne be surprised if higher than normal ROIs were recorded long term.

As far as moving up goes, I would dabble in them and see. Also consider that the higher 6 handed SNGs probably do not fill up as fast on stars so mulititabling could be a problem.

FWIW, I started out playing the 12s-6 handed a long time ago and remember them being quite easy...and I was a total donk at the time.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks, pooh - I'm having a hard time fitting into this forum because nobody else plays the same game I do. It seems that only a very small number of players play these limits regularly. There's only probably three players I see every day.

I honestly do believe that a higher than normal ROI is sustainable at this level though. The interesting thing about my stats is that the deviation seems significantly less. I guess I need to wait till I have about 2000 in tournaments to really know.

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

pooh74
11-21-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the next BI after the 30s for the 6Handed?

I used to feel alone here too...now everyone and their mother is playing the stars turbos. I'm sure the same will happen with the all the games eventually.

Slim Pickens
11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) I don't understand why everyone is telling him about the chip sizes... he already told us he plays at Stars, so the starting chip count is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be bothered to read an entire post before responding. I just glance at the topic and write whatever crap pops into me head.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the next BI after the 30s for the 6Handed?

I used to feel alone here too...now everyone and their mother is playing the stars turbos. I'm sure the same will happen with the all the games eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only choices are $35+3 ten minute rounds of $110+9 turbos...

pooh74
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the next BI after the 30s for the 6Handed?

I used to feel alone here too...now everyone and their mother is playing the stars turbos. I'm sure the same will happen with the all the games eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only choices are $35+3 ten minute rounds of $110+9 turbos...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 110+9s arent 6 handed are they? Because, in the case, there's also the 55+5s.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 01:16 PM

Maybe I should write stars support and plead them to add a non-turbo $119

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the next BI after the 30s for the 6Handed?

I used to feel alone here too...now everyone and their mother is playing the stars turbos. I'm sure the same will happen with the all the games eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only choices are $35+3 ten minute rounds of $110+9 turbos...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 110+9s arent 6 handed are they? Because, in the case, there's also the 55+5s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they are. There are turbo 109s and turbo 55s that are nine handed. The 110+9 is specifically a turbo 6-handed structure. I really don't understand why they don't offer $70s as well. I really prefer 6 handed and I really prefer the deep stacks/long rounds.

HonchoOverload
11-21-2005, 01:51 PM
The names have been changed to protect the guilty, but here's the response I got...

Hello ****,

Thank you for your suggestion, I have forwarded to the person in charge
of
considering this.

Regards,

Christian