PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice

04-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Can anyone tell me if dry ice can be used instead of regular ice to keep coolers full of soda chilled all day? If so, how is it handled etc? Also, on EBay they sell "dry ice machines". I'm hoping someone knows something, as I have 2 hotdog carts and 4 large coolers. I currently use about 100 lbs. of ice a day, and would love an alternative to going to the ice company every morning before we set up. Thanks, debbie

04-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Having lived in several destination spots for hunting in the high country, I have monkeyed around with dry ice a bit. I have found it amusing to create vapors, and generally benign, but expensive, and useful for little else.

The fact that it leaves no liquid when it melts is both a problem and a benefit. The problem is that the ice doesn't really come into contact with anything, there's just ice clumps and warm objects, with a gulf of low-conductivity air sitting between them. Dry ice works best in an airtight container.

So, the short answer is "no."

eLROY

04-21-2002, 05:27 PM
just a word of caution.

be careful what kind of air-tight container you put the dry ice in, make sure it can withstand a lot of pressure.

as a good sized piece of ice sublimes the gas creates more than enough pressure to blow open a weak container.

a buddy of mine has scars across his neck and chest from f'ing around with dry ice in a glass air-tight jar.

have fun.

04-21-2002, 07:31 PM

04-21-2002, 11:36 PM
dry ice is best for those keeping stuff contained and not going in and out of the box.

sounds like you need propane refridgeration or electric generator.

barring the expense of that route, you can get a large chest freezer used for about 200 bucks and it will make plenty of ice daily. or if you need cubes get an ice machine.

in my large coolers i get four or five days before i need new ice. but you will ofcourse melt it faster.

04-22-2002, 07:36 AM