PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new stud high player?

11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
My experience of stud, which to me has the the flavor of real poker, comes mainly from stud/8. Since the number of online tables are very limited (in CET time zone it's even hard to find any games during afternoon/evening) I'm planning to start a 7-Stud High career. So now I need some advice about what should be a good limit to start out with.

I have set my eyes on the 2/4 tables, I could of course begin on a lower limit but I like the low ante games that Party Poker spread 2/4 and up. It's of course hard for you to know anything about my skill, but I beat that level easily when I play stud/8. I've read the stud section in Super System 3 or 4 times and I follow the discussions here at 2+2 (which I by the way find very enriching, thanks to all you contributers!). I plan to have a rather tight approach and won't try any fancy stuff to start with. I never steam. What do you think guys, would I stand a chance at this level or do you recomend me to earn experience in a lower limit (although the ante structure would be different)?

Any other stuff for me to think about before playing Stud you could come up with to help me out is appreciated.

preiserone
11-21-2005, 01:11 AM
2/4 is as good a place as any to start at. The skill level of the 2/4 players is a little tougher than 1/2 but still very easy to beat once you know what your doing.

Read 7csfap, supersystem is good but nothing beats sklansky.

11-21-2005, 01:15 AM
First, your knowledge of 8/B will not really help you much in high. THe two are very much different animals.

If you play a tight non fancy game and pay attention to the out cards you will do fine at the 2/4 stud game. I don't believe playing at a lower level will be very educational as there is probably too much calling at the lower levels. The 2/4 game is an excellent place to learn.

Forget about bluffing. Just play smart and solid and you will do ok. good luck there.

11-21-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2/4 is as good a place as any to start at. The skill level of the 2/4 players is a little tougher than 1/2 but still very easy to beat once you know what your doing.

Read 7csfap, supersystem is good but nothing beats sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think I will buy the Sklansky book, I've seen it in my local book store. And now I know it's good... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheSalche
11-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Most of the lower limit stud games (up to 3/6 or 5/10) can be beat by playing pretty much straightforward stud. Read the section on loose games especially, because almost every online stud game at the lower levels can be considered loose. One of the better notes to take from that is to not raise with big pairs in the hole till later streets in multiway pots because it is technically correct for the other players to call with weaker hands due to pot odds.

Technically you know how to do half of it right? Just forget about going for the low /images/graemlins/wink.gif

beta1607
11-21-2005, 07:29 AM
This book is a must, but keep in mind thatv some of the concepts in 7CSFAP will be a little to advanced for the games you are starting out in, but I recommend you reread it everytime you move up in limits and you will it more and more applicable.