PDA

View Full Version : TT UTG - thoughts on this?

jskills
11-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Villan is 30/10.7/1.4 over 80 hands.

Villan seemed to be doing ok at the table, but had gotten out of line a few times, caught stone bluffing once or twice and getting carried away with a pocket pair that had two overs on the board. Saw him raise with a flush draw once, but OOP so he blew away a few potential customers.

I had been doing well, showing down more than the usual amount of nice hands. Table image was where you'd want it to be for the most part.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...

W. Deranged
11-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Checking this turn is bad. Yes, you have outs, but your opponent often has more. Giving free cards to flush draws, smaller pairs, and so on is bad.

Betting the turn also allows us to take a showdown free often, since we have to call a bet on most any river if we check here.

Villain doesn't seem so aggressive that we need to be hugely worried about a check-raise anyway.

Also, if you don't think your hand has enough value to be betting this turn, then you shouldn't be raising the flop (you should be folding).

TheHammer24
11-21-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking this turn is bad. Yes, you have outs, but your opponent often has more. Giving free cards to flush draws, smaller pairs, and so on is bad.

Betting the turn also allows us to take a showdown free often, since we have to call a bet on most any river if we check here.

Villain doesn't seem so aggressive that we need to be hugely worried about a check-raise anyway.

Also, if you don't think your hand has enough value to be betting this turn, then you shouldn't be raising the flop (you should be folding).

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting and it's not really close. Being C/R'd isn't as bad as giving a free card. If you got C/R'd it would be easy call and fold UI

toss
11-21-2005, 04:27 AM
I like betting the turn abd taking a free showdown better than checking the turn and inducing a bluff. Bad to give free cards.

Michael Emery
11-21-2005, 04:41 AM
I like betting the turn and taking the free showdown on the ace as a better line. I dont want to give hearts or a str8 draw a freecard. I would actually wager money you were beat here if you got a river call out of him. The problem is when the ace hits the river he might very well 1.) get scared out of betting a jack that he has, but check-call with it. You taking a free card on that turn could signal a hand like AK to him. 2.) If he has a nine or a medium pocket pair like 88/55 for some reason he still might very well fold to your bet on the river when the ace hits. It has to look pretty damn scary to him the way you played this hand. So I really dont like the river bet at all. A busted strait or flush draw isnt calling, its unlikely you're folding out any better hand as jacks likely will always pay off here, a small to medium pocket pair might likely fold due to the ace and how you played the turn. If you value bet the river here you should probably hope your opponent has a nine most specifically. All in all I think its -EV.

Mike Emery

angst
11-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Bet the turn and it is not even close, IMO.

If you do not improve on the river, you can always check behind. You will often put in one bet on either the turn or river anyway, and if the turn goes check-check your opponent will often bet the river only when he has you beat and fold it when he is behind, so you gain nothing. The board also has several draws you want to charge him for.