PDA

View Full Version : ROME Season Finale (spoilers only if you're retarded)

BottlesOf
11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Line of the episode (Servilia to Atia):

"So you see, the tyrant is dead and you are alone....Would you like some honey water?"

OMG PWN3D!!!!!

Also, did I miss the famous line attributed to Caesar at his death "And you, Brutus?" or was it just not said?

WillMagic
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, did I miss the famous line attributed to Caesar at his death "And you, Brutus?" or was it just not said?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't said.

Awesome series. Too bad there might not be another.

Will

11-20-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for some form of "Et Tu, Brute?" as well but all Caesar does is die. It's going to be a long wait until the next season.

KDawgCometh
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't said.

Awesome series. Too bad there might not be another.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

two more seasons were renewed

HtotheNootch
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"So you see, the tyrant is dead and you are alone....Would you like some honey water?"

OMG PWN3D!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, just looking at Octavian you can tell Servilia's hosed.

BottlesOf
11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Really? DO you have a link?

Sightless
11-20-2005, 11:27 PM
SHame it wasnt very historically acurate, but it was pretty fun series nevertheless as they did manage to capture the feel of Ancient Rome.

Hopefully they will do another couple fo seasons.

KDawgCometh
11-20-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i could've sworn I saw it on the HBO's section for the show itself. I forget where I heard or saw it, but I do remember that at least 1 more season is being renewed

BottlesOf
11-20-2005, 11:43 PM
I thought they made many efforts to be historically accurate. (As accurate as possible for a narrative series anyway). What were some of the inaccuracies?

BottlesOf
11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
According to their bulletin boards there will be a second season, with production beginning in March, and the season airing in 2007. Who knows if that's reliable info though. They do seem to suggest ROME was the most popular HBO series ever though, which surprises me. It's good, but there are several better series on HBO. I guess that goes to show that mass appeal and quality are not the most perfcetly correlated.

RacersEdge
11-20-2005, 11:51 PM
This is impossible to get into if you missed the first few episodes. It's nothing but Plutonius this and Tomulus that. The battle in the arena was intense, but no clue what the story was.

Sightless
11-20-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought they made many efforts to be historically accurate. (As accurate as possible for a narrative series anyway). What were some of the inaccuracies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Octavia of the Julii never slept with Octavian.

ononimo
11-21-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OMG PWN3D!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, just looking at Octavian you can tell Servilia's hosed.

[/ QUOTE ]

watching Octavian and Mark Antony wage vengeance upon Servilia and Brutus is reason enough to wait for Season Two.

and is anyone else disgusted by how much of a bitch Brutus is?

BottlesOf
11-21-2005, 12:24 AM
That it?

BottlesOf
11-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Yes

SoCalRugger
11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=623

Just says it's been renewed for a 2nd season. I've never seen something official on anything more than that.

Paluka
11-21-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm really dissappointed in this resolution of situation with Vorenus and his wife. Completely unsatisfying and it has made me unhappy. I thought this finale was a big letdown.

ononimo
11-21-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really dissappointed in this resolution of situation with Vorenus and his wife. Completely unsatisfying and it has made me unhappy. I thought this finale was a big letdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it gives him motivation to join Octavian and Mark Antony against Servilia and Brutus ...

I agree that, overall, the episode seemed scattered and hurried.

WillMagic
11-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Oh, I know they renewed it early on in the season. But recently there was an interview with some hbo guys saying they were having trouble writing the scripts for the time period immediately following caesar's downfall, so the earliest they could come up with a new season was March of 2007, which would make it hard to retain the audience, and given how expensive Rome is...they might just let it go.

I'll look for that interview and post it when i get the chance.

Will

ononimo
11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I know they renewed it early on in the season. But recently there was an interview with some hbo guys saying they were having trouble writing the scripts for the time period immediately following caesar's downfall, so the earliest they could come up with a new season was March of 2007, which would make it hard to retain the audience, and given how expensive Rome is...they might just let it go.

I'll look for that interview and post it when i get the chance.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't most of the expense incurred by building the elaborate sets? one would assume that Season Two would cost considerably less.

Sightless
11-21-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That it?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is so much more, i dont know many.. i can do some reasearch if u wish, But I have spoken to many history buffs and they tell me its pretty inacurate when it comes to certain characters

samjjones
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Moral: guy who sells out gets ruined; guy who stays true to himself gets the girl in the end.

And whatever you think about the season finale, you have to admit that the writers have BALLS.

IndieMatty
11-21-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hated that part, but I liked the finale overall.

HopeydaFish
11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

OMG PWN3D!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

"Et tu, Brute?" was Shakespeare's creation. I found the way "Rome" handled Caesar's death to be very realistic.

Edited to reflect that Caesar was asassinated, not Shakespeare

Paluka
11-21-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found the way "Rome" handled Shakespeare's death to be very realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed this part.

HopeydaFish
11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found the way "Rome" handled Shakespeare's death to be very realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed this part.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...d'oh. I still haven't had my morning coffee. Cut me some slack. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ononimo
11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Moral: guy who sells out gets ruined; guy who stays true to himself and murders girl's fiance by repeatedly slamming his head into a post gets the girl in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

lu_hawk
11-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone else having On-Demand problems with Comcast? I missed Episode 11 which sounds like it was the best one all season. And my on-demand is only showing up to episode 10 right now.

B Dids
11-21-2005, 11:58 AM
They basically id the "e tu Brute" moment non-verbaly. Caeser gives him a look. Frankly- I think if he'd said it, it would have been corny as hell.

I enjoyed this. It lacked the typical over the top feel that other eps have had, but I thought it worked better.

I do agree that the situation with the wife was silly. Especially because now we don't get to see her next season, which is just a tragic loss.

I agree that seeing the look on Octavian's face was amusing.

samjjones
11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moral: guy who sells out gets ruined; guy who stays true to himself and murders girl's fiance by repeatedly slamming his head into a post gets the girl in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Pullo is a thug. At least he did not compromise his beliefs to become a prefect and eventually a Senator.

ononimo
11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Pullo is a thug. At least he did not compromise his beliefs to become a prefect and eventually a Senator.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's remember that Vorenas becamse Senator by saving Pullo -- in direct defiance of an explicit order from Caesar -- from certain death in the arena after Pullo was condemned to death after cold-blooded murder-for-hire (an act that Vorenas earlier refused to perform when faced with similar dire straits).

don't get me wrong, i like Pullo as much as the next guy but let's not be so quick to cast him as Vorenas's moral superior. Pullo doesn't compromise his beliefs because he has very few to compromise ... throughout the series, Pullo makes it clear that believes in little more than himself (and loyalty to the 13th Legion). He doesn't believe in gods nor the Republic, and only begins to believe in love after spending time with Vorenas and his family.

in the end, two people who couldn't have been further apart end up influencing one another's actions and beliefs.

HopeydaFish
11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could care less about the writers taking a few liberties with the historical accuracy in order to create an enjoyable story.

However, since you asked...despite what last night's episode would have you believe, Octavian was not in Rome when Caesar was asassinated. He was in Illyricum and set out for Rome in order to avenge Caesar's death when he learned of the asassination. However, he discovered on his way back to Rome that Caesar had secretly made Octavian his heir. The whole scene with Octavian and his mother being threatened by Servilia would have never happened. Octavian was a grown man with a fair bit of power and influence by this time. He wasn't a young boy who would have been tagging along with his mother. In reality, he returned to Rome and formed an alliance with Marc Antony and Marcus Lepidus before becoming Emperor a couple of decades later after both Antony and Lepidus were killed.