PDA

View Full Version : Playing flush draws with a low upcard

TheSalche
11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Just a theoretical question ... lets say you start with something like (J8)4 suited, and there's either none or 1 dead of your suit. Assuming a somewhat loose game (not too many heads up pots past 4th), how do you play this from:
a. first position (obviously overcards to act behind you)
b. middle position with limpers ahead of you
c. middle position with a raise and a caller
d. last position with a raise, no callers

beta1607
11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
A. I like limping here, the thought of completing and being raised is enough to prevent me from being to agro here.
B. If there are no scary cards beind me I might complete here, it depends on the table texture.
C. Call
D. I am calling here, unless the player is tight and so is the game structure then I fold.

preiserone
11-20-2005, 09:25 PM
These are all calls in my book, situationally fold the last one like beta said

TheSalche
11-20-2005, 09:51 PM
i suppose my worries with hands like these is that they become obvious to decent stud players ... if you have something like a 4 or a 5 up, and you start betting hard when you start catching cards that match the suit of your doorcard, you may scare away a lot of players, and thus not get enough value of these hands when you make them to make up for what you lose when you miss

BeerMoney
11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i suppose my worries with hands like these is that they become obvious to decent stud players ... if you have something like a 4 or a 5 up, and you start betting hard when you start catching cards that match the suit of your doorcard, you may scare away a lot of players, and thus not get enough value of these hands when you make them to make up for what you lose when you miss

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, look at it this way... You aren't going to misplay these hands much, right?

if the raiser is on your left, you get an opportunity to raise/checkraise the field. These hands make a lot of their money on fourth street.

Have you ever called down a hand "you knew" had you beat? So do your opponents...

Folding them in a likely heads up spot I don't think would be that big of a mistake, but adds deception to your game.