PDA

View Full Version : Eating Raw Beef

dblgutshot
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Any special way you have to prepare it? What cut of beef and seasoning if any?

tonypaladino
11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Ask rustedcorpse.

Argus
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
You want a fresh lean steak cut; something tender that doesn't need cooking to be enjoyable. You don't want ground beef or anything like that because it has more surface exposed to air and you risk food poisoning by eating it. It's probably unlikely, but why would you want to eat raw ground beef anyway?

11-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Isn't this stuff called "steak tartare" or somethin like that?

Google says that you actually DO want it ground, and you want to prepare it a certain way. And apparently there's raw eggs involved. I like to think I'm cultured, but I don't know if I'm this damn cultured (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,191,159168-250196,00.html).

dblgutshot
11-20-2005, 06:07 PM
You are talking about different 'ground' beef.

That link is talking about a steak cut that is freshly ground up, not just normal ground beef like the other guy was talking about.

Thanks for the link though. I've never had steak tartare I've only had raw beef at japanese restaurants and it doesn't seem like it had as much seasoning as the recipe you provided.

11-20-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are talking about different 'ground' beef.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah, I certainly hope you're not gonna go buy a half pound of ground chuck from Albertsons or somethin, and expect to make steak tartare out of it.

That's like buying that tuna that's been sitting on ice for 3 days and trying to make edible sushi. I wouldn't eat it.

Yeah, after reading about steak tartare, I'm kinda half tempted to try it. Raw beef at japanese restaurants? Like, alongside your sushi? How do they serve it? I'm intrigued.

dblgutshot
11-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Well finally found the name of the japanese dish I have had.

Beef Tataki (http://www.yummytaste.com/recipe/detail/beeftataki.htm)

Aparently this recipe is grilled slightly, mine might have been but seemed pretty raw for the most part.
Still, other people's experiences or recipes would be nice still.

Argus
11-21-2005, 03:17 AM
I love raw meat, and I'll try it nearly anywhere that has it on the menu. My experiences so far:

Kobe Steak Tartare at Craftsteak in Vegas: It was fabulous. I think it is best compared to some sort of meat flavoured butter. Its texture was divine, and the flavour was incomparable. I really haven't had anything like it - raw beef in this context really is nothing like the cooked stuff.

Beef Tataki: I've had this at various Japanese restaurants. Usually it is served blue rare, sometimes raw. To be honest I prefer it blue rare - it gives it a more pleasant texture (in this particular dish). It may be the nature of the ponzu sauce that makes me prefer it barely cooked.

Mystery Ethiopian Dish: Not really a mystery, but I don't know the name. It's cubes of raw beef in a thin, powedery red sauce. Almost like a curry, I'm not sure what to compare it to. The rawness of the meat was integral to the dish, allowing the flavour of the spices to play a greater role. If you have Ethiopian food and see a dish resembling this description I highly recommend it.

Beef Carpaccio at a vineyard in Napa Valley: Yet another glowing review. I forget the vineyard (I visited plenty, and drank at most of them), but this appetizer before the wedding dinner was excellent. It was served on a crostini with a rich mayonnaise type sauce, and it was impeccably matched with the red wine they were serving. This is the raw beef dish I'd consider most likely to appeal to people who are squeamish about eating raw meat, the thin slicing again makes the beef almost melt in your mouth.

No other dishes come to my mind that involve serving raw beef, though I'm sure there are plenty. I'd be keen to try other ones, and I recommend it to anyone. I don't understand the desire many people have for well cooked foods. I find the flavours are finer in raw or lightly cooked dishes in most cases, though of course it depends on the food in question. It's certainly not a health risk if you eat the right cuts; any decent restaurant that offers it will be safe, as will any good butcher shop.

I see that you live in Calgary, just go to one of the many fine steakhouses your city boasts and try a blue rare steak or a tartare. I know that Catch has some tartares on the menu, but they might only have seafood (I know they have scallop and tuna, both amazing). I've eaten at the Blue Nile in Calgary, but they don't have the Ehtiopian dish I described, so try Marathon (in Kensington) or somewhere else if you're interested.

toss
11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I really enjoy raw fish and I'm interested in raw meat. Have you ever gotten sick from eating raw meat before?

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I've seen a guy pull a chunk of meat straight off a deer with his fingers and eat it while the deer was still warm. To my knowledge, he has not been physically ill... mentally, maybe, but not physically.

Isura
11-21-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a guy pull a chunk of meat straight off a deer with his fingers and eat it while the deer was still warm. To my knowledge, he has not been physically ill... mentally, maybe, but not physically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once saw an old NFL films episode when this old pro Bob Sinclair was eating raw dove hearts.

Lazymeatball
11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
sometimes i nibble on raw bacon, because I need something to snack on while I wait for cooked bacon. Only a very small amount though.

pokerdirty
11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beef Carpaccio

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmm, with olive oil and capers and parmesean

TiK
11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Google says that you actually DO want it ground, and you want to prepare it a certain way. And apparently there's raw eggs involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a Korean dish involving ground beef (not [censored] ground beef, mind you) and raw eggs called yukke. It's damn good.

Argus
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy raw fish and I'm interested in raw meat. Have you ever gotten sick from eating raw meat before?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I haven't. The key, as I mentioned before, is freshness and a good cut. Bacteria grow on the surface of meat, not the inside, so if the meat is fresh and has little surface area there isn't much chance for bacteria to grow. The risk of getting sick is higher eating raw beef, but still so low that I would never worry about it as long as proper food handling techniques and preparation were used. And if they weren't, I wouldn't eat cooked food either.

SL__72
11-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Obviously you can't eat raw ground beef.

For steaks you are probably best of just searing the outside quickly (like 10 seconds per side maybe?) and you'll kill off most of the bacteria.

Fishwhenican
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Get good fresh lean(VERY LEAN) raw hamburger, make a very thin "burger", add lawrey's salt, garlic powder and onion powder and eat away. UMMM Tasty!
I used to see raw hamburger with raw onions and rye bread served up for Friday night happy hour buffets in bars in Milwaukee all the time. Called it canibal or caveman sandwiches. My old man used to eat raw hambuger and called it "Wildcat" too.

If you really want to be grossed out, I have a good friend who always eats some raw liver from a fresh deer kill. It's a Native American thing. He also cuts off three other pieces and tosses them in spearate directions to honor/share with three of his friends who have passed away years ago.

I tried raw elk liver once with him and it was OK but not something I crave or would go out of my way for. It was kind of sweet actually with the only bad part being the leftover chewy veiny stuff! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SL__72
11-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I would not suggest eating raw ground beef... unless its irradiated maybe.

Fishwhenican
11-21-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would not suggest eating raw ground beef... unless its irradiated maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Know, I Know
All that danger of e coli and all of that. But sometimes I just can't help myself. It's so darn good and after 45 years still hasn't killed me or even made me in the least bit sick.
I usually do not eat ground beef I usually hold out for stuff like ground round or chuck. REALLY Lean too.
But yes, I know it is not the best idea in the world

shant
11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Armenians have a raw meat dish called "che cufta" which is delicious.

vexvelour
11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sometimes i nibble on raw bacon, because I need something to snack on while I wait for cooked bacon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure this isn't safe.

beset7
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sometimes i nibble on raw bacon, because I need something to snack on while I wait for cooked bacon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure this isn't safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most bacon is cured and smoked these days, but I'd still worry about trichinosis (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm).