PDA

View Full Version : great censorship quote

04-20-2002, 07:32 PM
I was watching a show on VH1 today on censored music and they discussed the PMRC campaign led by Tipper Gore. It was interesting how they tried to declare the lyrics "We're not gonna take it" obscene, etc... I have known for a while that John Denver testified and the hearings and since I am a big fan of his I wanted to hear what he had to say. Here is my favorite part so far:

-----------------------------------------------

Mr. DENVER. Well, I think that a good beginning to addressing this real problem is this hearing that is taking place. What most concerns me, aside from potential legislation which might be enacted, which we have heard today is not going to be the case, is that the whole presentation by the PMRC comes from in my experience a foundation of fear.

The only thing we have to fear, as President Roosevelt said, is fear itself. I am not afraid of anything. I am not afraid of what my children might see. I am not afraid of anything that might be shown them or done in their presence that would lessen my influence on them or their opportunity to grow, to be fine upstanding adults, and perhaps some day serve in this very august body.

Senator HOLLINGS. Well, most respectfully, President Roosevelt never heard these records.

The CHAIRMAN. Senator Gore.

Mr. DENVER. I think the things that he heard were far worse, sir.

-----------------------------------------------

It is nice to see these self-absorbed morons we elect to lead us put in their place. The full transcripts which also include testimony from Frank Zappa and Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister are available at:

http://uweb.superlink.net/~jdandrea/shrg99-529/committee.html

04-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Mason Malmuth only censors people opposed to blatant bigotry on this forum.

04-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Please do not respond to my posts. The way you harass people for expressing ideas different from yours is eqivalent to censorship. If you don't like what's here, go somewhere else. If you are so opposed to racism, why not go be a troll on the KKK web page?

04-20-2002, 09:32 PM
"Please do not respond to my posts with namecalling an accusations." Obviously, logical arguements are welcome. Sorry for the typo.

04-21-2002, 01:07 AM
i will tell you one thing, when i was a teenager i listened to the worst music and watched the bloodiest, sickest, twisted movies I could find. Real good stuff like Reanimator, Evil Dead, Bad Taste and Dead Alive. I saw the unrated version of the Exorcist when i was maybe 11 or 12. Now i cant imagine worse stuff than that to see as a teenager. Yet i went to MIT and became a lawyer. oh wait, maybe thats an argument in favor of censorship.

One other thing. You have to wonder about John Denver when he thinks the Senate is a "very august" body. I guess he never heard of Ted Kennedy.

Pat

Pat

04-21-2002, 01:13 AM
He was kissing up; around the same time he was trying to go up on the space shuttle so he didn't want to piss them off too much.

04-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Please take this as a serious warning. We try to keep these forums insult free. Since you are having trouble in that area, we will assist you in the future if necessary.

Best wishes,

Mason Malmuth

04-21-2002, 07:19 AM
i live in south carolina, and no one ever confused fritz hollings with a logical, intelligent person....gl