PDA

View Full Version : "Used" Engagement ring

JihadOnTheRiver
11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
$6K solitaire engagement ring. "Got it back" about a year or so ago. Does anybody know what to do with it? If I have to take a huge hit $-wise, I'll probably just mount it on my college ring. Any suggestions?

Wyrm2
11-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Keep the ring somewhere safe, when you get engaged again use the diamond in a new setting (let your engaged help select it if you like).

OtisTheMarsupial
11-20-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep the ring somewhere safe, when you get engaged again use the diamond in a new setting (let your engaged help select it if you like).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. I think many women wouldn't be comfortable with that. Maybe if you reset it into a necklace, but it's sort of "tainted" now.

Sell it on eBay.
And J, your avatar sucks. I hate it.

tonypaladino
11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3387/29oh041pawnshop2dt.jpg

radek2166
11-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Sell it for what ever u can get them take said money and go to the nudie bar and spend everyone of them dollars.

MelchyBeau
11-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Ukeleles has to be one of the odder things to advertise on a pawn shop sign

Los Feliz Slim
11-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Have it insured. Have it "stolen".

Insurance fraud sounds SO easy, but I bet it isn't.

JihadOnTheRiver
11-20-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. I think many women wouldn't be comfortable with that. Maybe if you reset it into a necklace, but it's sort of "tainted" now.

Sell it on eBay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, worst idea ever. No girl wants a used engagement ring. Period. Also, my avatar is awesome and a lot of people like it a lot, so...ummm...sorry.

MrMon
11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Why would you want to keep around something as a reminder of a failed engagement? I'd treat it as if it were radioactive.

There are legit jewelry stores that deal in estate jewelry. They usually have a case or two of it. See if any are interested. Go with whoever offers the highest price and count every dollar over 1 as "found" money. Legally, she didn't have to give the ring back. Also consider it $6k well spent. Way better to find out before the wedding than after.

Using the ring in any way for someone else unless it's a family heirloom = Tacky.

tek
11-20-2005, 03:13 PM
If you sell, you'll only get 1500 if your lucky (and if it's 1 ctor larger and good C's).

I would do what the other guys suggested: keep it until you get another fiance. Go "shopping" with her and see what setting she likes. Then go back wihtout her and have the jewler reset the stone in the setting shee likes. Take the old setting and sell it at a pawn shop or try to get some discount on the new seeting with it.

slickpoppa
11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell it on eBay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, worst idea ever. No girl wants a used engagement ring. Period. Also, my avatar is awesome and a lot of people like it a lot, so...ummm...sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he wouldnt tell her that it is used. She'll never know.

MrMon
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a good way to start a relationship. No wonder most women think most guys are lying bastards.

If she EVER finds out, and they have ways of finding out, the pain you will go through will definitely not be worth whatever you saved. Plus, you'll be buying a new ring anyway. Definitely -EV.

slickpoppa
11-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Who said anything about lying? Shes not going to ask him if it is used.

gmrankin
11-20-2005, 05:43 PM
My mom gave me her engagement ring when i got married... I had to basically steal it back from my exwhen we split up... not cool. it is now back with my mom in her saftey deposite box... i would sell it... craigs list, ebay, pawn shop. better now than later...

11-20-2005, 06:16 PM
How much do you want for it? Size? Cut? White gold band? I will be buying an engagement ring shortly.

11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] dude thats horrible..just sell it...or better yet, I could take care of it for you