PDA

View Full Version : 6 max, how do I begin finding leaks?

RustyCJ
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I have about 2500 hands in 6 max now, and with the fools that sit at these tables I don't understand why I'm not beating them into the ground. I'm currently at 1BB/100 which is meaningless given the sample size I know.

I'm currently playing .5/1 and I use PA Hud, which has been a big help in learning to read players.

I think I am probably over playing overcards, especially when I'm OOP.

my VP$IP is 19% and my PFR is 12.5%.

I have a bunch of links to 6 max threads and I've read most of them 2-3 times.

Am I expecting too much too soon? I also think I need to loosen up just a little and get my VP$IP to 22-24 range, but I don't think I'm strong enough with my post-flop skills yet to do so without bleeding $$.

Vote4Pedro
11-20-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also think I need to loosen up just a little and get my VP$IP to 22-24 range, but I don't think I'm strong enough with my post-flop skills yet to do so without bleeding $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Increase your VP$IP by finding more places to raise, not limp...As for postflop skills, find your "comfort" zone and play in it...dont over do anything

RustyCJ
11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
I guess part of my problem is if it is folded to me in the CO, I raise with hands like QTs, K8s, A8o, the flop never seems to hit me and even on a ragged flop, these people are so loose that if I bet, they will call with absolutely nothing, not even a good draw.

I usually see 2-3 opponents per table with VP$IP between 60 and 40. many of them have PFR < 8% and Postflop aggression of < .5

Say I'm against 2 loose opponents, I have AKo from the CO and raise, 2 of the 3 remaining are probably going to call, then a ragged flop hits, I bet I will be called at least by 1 of them almost every time. So I'm unsure of my action from this point on. When I check the turn they will bet at me 80% of the time on the river. and when i bet the turn they'll show down with 82o and win.

I know raising is correct, and in SSH Miller says to "not be afraid to gamble when you have much the best of it"

I'm having problems like the scenario I described above, I did not seem to have this problem while playing full ring, I was happy to fold the check/fold the flop if I didn't have a good draw.

11-20-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Say I'm against 2 loose opponents, I have AKo from the CO and raise, 2 of the 3 remaining are probably going to call, then a ragged flop hits, I bet I will be called at least by 1 of them almost every time. So I'm unsure of my action from this point on. When I check the turn they will bet at me 80% of the time on the river. and when i bet the turn they'll show down with 82o and win.

[/ QUOTE ]
keep working on your reads, you'll get it
[ QUOTE ]

I'm having problems like the scenario I described above, I did not seem to have this problem while playing full ring, I was happy to fold the check/fold the flop if I didn't have a good draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is what makes 6max sooo much fun

Donkey Kong
11-21-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my VP$IP is 19% and my PFR is 12.5%.

[/ QUOTE ]
As you mentioned, your VPIP is too low. You need to find some new spots to raise. Attack the weak tight ones more(yes,they're there). Be careful when raising loose players (I'm not saying raise less), but you often have to slow down if the flop misses you. As you said, they'll call you down with weak holdings. I've been experimenting a bit sometimes just limping in (even first in) against loose players. I know most experts dont give this advice, but it seems to comfuse the fish, and often they will fold more easily on the flop if you come out betting. Being unpredictable (but still tight-aggressive) is key in shorthanded games. You have to make sure your opponents make mistakes all the time.

Needless to say, you must value bet a lot with your stronger holdings.

I'm not sure if this is any help. Its hard to get thoughts down in writing even after 55k shorthanded hands at 0.5/1

adsman
11-21-2005, 08:36 AM
If you've started off winning at 6max then you're ahead of a lot of people on these boards. With your stats don't make the mistake of putting the cart before the horse. Don't concentrate on getting your stats 'up'. Concentrate on playing better. When you begin to play more optimally then your stats will naturally fall in line with how you're playing. Worrying about your stats I feel, is a waste of time and energy.

Do you multitable 6max? If you do, I recommend that you concentrate on one table and really get your reads going on your opponents. That way you will know who you can bet on the river with an unimproved AK, and who you can call a bet from in the same situation. Do not be afraid of the check button at 6max, even when you have position. I like the check button a lot more now than when I was playing full ring.

11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Betting the flop with AK UI and having callers is fine. When you do hit your cards, it's nice to know you'll have these same fools along for the ride with 82o!

jrz1972
11-21-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A decent rule of thumb in these situations (HU in position with AK) is to bet the turn against a loose-passive with the intention of taking a "free" showdown on the river. You're often ahead so a bet protects your hand and carries some value against players who will call with a weaker A or a weak draw.

Against an aggressive player, a better strategy will often be to check behind on the turn with the intention of calling a river bet. Give LAGs a chance to bluff at the pot.

Obviously the board and opponent-specific reads can be used to refine these lines.