PDA

View Full Version : Is this how you would play this hand?

Str8Fish
11-20-2005, 10:25 AM
The converter didn't work for Absolute, so here's a ghetto version of the hand. Please excuse if I used the wrong labeling for the positions.

Absolute 9-handed (0.50/1)
Hero UTG [9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

Hero Calls, UTG+1 Folds, UTG+2 Calls, MP1 Folds, MP2 Folds, LP1 Calls, Button Folds, SB Completes, BB Checks (5 SB)
**Flop** J /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB Checks, BB Checks, Hero Bets, UTG+2 Raises, LP1 Calls, SB Folds, BB Calls, Hero Calls (7.5 BB)
**Turn** 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB Checks, Hero Checks, UTG+2 Bets, LP1 Calls, BB Folds, Hero Calls (10.5 BB)
**River** A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero Checks, UTG+2 Bets, LP1 Calls, Hero Calls (13.5 BB)

Reads:
UTG+2: TAA
LP1: LAP
Buttons are both calling stations (SLPP)

HouseCalls
11-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I think this is well played. My only question is on the flop - whether or not you re-raise with your set. But I think(especially OOP) this is a good place to just wait for the turn planning to bet if a blank comes and check call if a scare card comes. With the /images/graemlins/heart.gif turn I'd check/call the rest of the way.

Brain
11-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I'd like to re-raise the flop. You have the field trapped for another bet and a third heart doesn't always mean somebody has the flush. Plus you always have a 10 out redraw to help you out.

Stealthy
11-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I think you need to get more bets in here. You have 2 players in a pot with you that you will win far more than 33% of the time. Either 3 bet the flop and lead the turn or check-raise the turn. I personally would play the flop the same and check-raise the turn trapping the caller for an extra BB. If UTG+2 keeps raising then you can "think" about slowing down but he is far more likely to be holding a weaker hand than you than sitting on a straight or bigger set.

bozlax
11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buttons and I are all calling stations

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Preflop: raise.
Flop: 3-bet unless you're planning to check-raise the turn, but that may be FPS. Meh, just 3-bet the flop.
Turn: if you played stronger on the flop, lead out the turn. The way you played it, check-raise, call down UI if 3-bet.
River (actually, the whole hand): I want to get at least one more bet in here, somewhere...the way you played it, I think you have to raise/call this. You have a freaking set of nines, for pete's sake, and you have given yourself no reason to think anybody has you beat. UTG+2 (who'd play QJs like this, and the only one of those you're worried about is hearts) took over the hand on the flop, and you just let him have it.

Goodnews
11-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Grunched.

I 3-bet the flop. With four players seeing the turn, you may be ahead and even if you are behind you have 7 outs on the flop and 10 outs on the turn. So a jamming this pot is either a value bet (if ahead) or equity bet (if behind). I put UTG+2 on AJ, two hearts, JTo.

3-betting the flop makes the hand play out differently.

I c/r the turn. Even though a scare card is out there, a raise from any player (other than UTG+2) indicates you are behind a flush and need the board to pair.

I think you missed out on a ton of bets on this one.

Goodnews
11-20-2005, 12:06 PM
This is tight/weak play.

Why do you think that you are behind with no PF raises, you can't expect to be behind a higher set. And 10 outs help on the river if something terrible does go wrong on the turn (honestly, the only real scare cards are Qh, Kh, 8h, 7h).

A set is a very strong hand, and I will often pay off if someone else had limped in with TT or JJ (very rarely).

jrz1972
11-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Raise preflop.

Reraise the flop.

Lead the turn planning to call down if raised. Obviously you are putting in more bets if you fill up.

2+2 wannabe
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

Reraise the flop.

Lead the turn planning to call down if raised. Obviously you are putting in more bets if you fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

my answer in a nutshell

eviljeff
11-20-2005, 06:34 PM
pf limp is fine. most posters here probably raise, but whatever.

after that, your hand is too strong to play this passively.

POKhER
11-20-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

Reraise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

my answer in a nutshell

[/ QUOTE ]

And mine.

11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
If raising will actually get the flop 2-3 handed I raise but if it won't and just calling will encourage 5+ players to see the flop I limp.

Otherwise I 3 bet the flop or c/r the turn if I just call but I prefer a 3 bet here.