PDA

View Full Version : I need info re GHB (the "date rape drug")

11-20-2005, 05:15 AM
I need practical info re GHB for a lawsuit I am defending. The issue is whether this girl was on GHB, or had a GHB addiction, when the accident happened. I need to know:
1) What form and usual container/packaging does it come in? (Charleston, SC area)
2) what is dosage/cost?
3) Are there accurate tests?
4) Are the tests good post-mortem?

Eurotrash
11-20-2005, 05:18 AM
so wait, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're a lawyer. and you're coming to OOT for help on gathering information for your case?

I pity your client.

irishpint
11-20-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I pity your client.

[/ QUOTE ]

4. are the tests good post mortem?

so do i. she's dead.

11-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Looking to buy some GHB? :/

Tron
11-20-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so wait, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're a lawyer. and you're coming to OOT for help on gathering information for your case?

I pity your client.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously... WTFmate?

diebitter
11-20-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not for the cadaver in question.

tinga81
11-20-2005, 05:39 AM
you are weird, google can help (http://www.google.com)

Eurotrash
11-20-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I pity your client.

[/ QUOTE ]

4. are the tests good post mortem?

so do i. she's dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the person who ingested the drugs is dead, but I'm assuming he's seeking a settlement for the family or something. that's who I was referring to in my other post. although I do feel bad for the person who died in the situation.

for the OP, one of the more amusing nicknames I've heard for GHB is 'Georgia Homeboy.' I'd try to work this into your case if possible

11-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Just thought I would seek an alternative source of info while I was playing ***** last night. Thanks anyway.

27offsuit
11-20-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need practical info re GHB for a lawsuit I am defending. The issue is whether this girl was on GHB, or had a GHB addiction, when the accident happened. I need to know:
1) What form and usual container/packaging does it come in? (Charleston, SC area)
2) what is dosage/cost?
3) Are there accurate tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

Die lawyer.

The Truth
11-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Man the responses in this thread suck. Usually OOT can be helpful.

11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I gotta admit, "I pity your client" and "Die lawyer" are pretty funny. But yes, OOT is usually pretty helpful, and I really enjoy reading here. I'm really just trying to confirm the validity of information given to me by a witness, so I'm hoping someone has some knowledge on the subject.

HDPM
11-20-2005, 02:48 PM
There's a bunch of information out there. Not too many experts on it IIRC. Metabolism of the drug is a huge factor in detection. I think it is metabolized within like 24 hours. Not sure post mortem - I don't remember. I think you will find in the information out there that there is a fine line between intoxicating dose and lethal dose. I managed to keep GHB test results out one time with a Daubert motion because of the detection problems. Sounds like you need to do the opposite.

InchoateHand
11-20-2005, 02:56 PM
There's a very broad line between an intoxicating dose and a lethal dose. The LD50 is actually quite high, certainly if used in isolation. Until very recently, it was for sale in health food stores. As date rape drugs go, its not my first pick---more third line. Google is a better resource than the kiddies who hang around here.

astroglide
11-20-2005, 03:00 PM
try clicking the second hit on google when you search for 'ghb information'. really tough. i'd hate to have you as a lawyer.

ChipWrecked
11-20-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try clicking the second hit on google when you search for 'ghb information'. really tough. i'd hate to have you as a lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably thinks there are some experts here....

11-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Your honor, I was on 2+2 last night and the OOT guys said...

CheckRaise
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Check out erowid (http://www.erowid.com), has info on basically any drug that is used recreationally.

astroglide
11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out erowid (http://www.erowid.com), has info on basically any drug that is used recreationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the second hit on google

KDawgCometh
11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
GHB is a substance that is natural in your body, and taking extra amounts can give you "coma" like effects. It has wrongly been called the "date rape" drug. It will make you extra relaxed but it won't inhibit you motor skills as much as is claimed. The real date rape drug is Rohypnol, or otherwise known as roofies

as far as tests being accurate post-mortem, I can't say, but it is possible that due to death, that the brain will secrete extra amounts of the substance as the body ceases functioning. I'm also not sure how accurate the tests are, but I do know that this is a drug that is done recreationally and is near impossible to prove if an addiction can happen due to its use

11-21-2005, 02:04 AM
GHB has an "oxygen saving" effect. Say, if the person died of a heart attack - your body will produce GHB naturally to save yourself. I did a speech in college about GHB and did some research. I recall a study where a study was done on cadavers of old people who died of heart attacks (far from a "rave scene" or pretty unlikely to have gotten dosed for date rape)... and they were all found to have elevated levels of GHB.

MyTurn2Raise
11-21-2005, 05:50 AM
funny thing...I've been incarcerated over this very drug.
The date rape angle is a sick twist of a minority of users. The vast majority use it as the 'healthy' alternative to alcohol. It bonds in the brain in the same synapses that GABA does, causing similar effects. It also causes a blockage of dopamine receptors. When the drug wears off, the dopamine floods the system again, creating a second high.

You get a good nights sleep, with rem, after taking it. Neglible hangover effects
It's a precursor to release of the Human Growth Hormone; good for muscle growth, restfulness, and such. It was originally a big thing among bodybuilders for that very reason.

Hmm....It's technically a salt. However, it's quite potent in small doses and would be tough to measure out as such. Thus, it is commonly mixed in water and dilutes completely (water stays colorless and odorless). The taste is quite salty, like saline solution. Back in the day (99), It was diluted so that a shot of the salty water was a very reasonable dose for a 165 lb body.
(Obviously, many naredowells figured out this was pretty easy to mix into drinks unknowingly--there are always bad apples that ruin it for everyone else.)
You could commonly buy it in 16oz waterbottles or gallon jugs for the ambitious. Street cost would be $5/dose back in 99 when buying one time deals. However, that is quite a mark-up from the costs of production. Those that buy in large quantities can get it easily for half that price. It's quite easy to produce.

Accurate tests--not really when it's consumed...it goes through the body quite quickly and the body naturally produces quite a bit of this stuffand masks it, enough to make it difficult to find out a person took it as little as 4 hours later.

Post-mortem--Do not know

They can definitely test liquids consumed from glasses/bottles/cans/etc and tell if GHB is in it.

The whole 'date rape' label is quite a misnomer. 99+% of use does not relate to that angle at all. There have been very few cases where a GHB date rape spiking has been proven. However, the connotation is quite bad. States Attorneys have become real pricks about the drug no matter it's intended use.

Let's say the 3 year sentence for mere possession was an eye opener.