PDA

View Full Version : My poker coach is unfair...

11-20-2005, 03:53 AM
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

Thanks,
Jeff

Goodnews
11-20-2005, 04:00 AM
suck it up and do the math, btw, get ready for the barrage of 'you shouldn't have quit your day job' posts.

11-20-2005, 04:06 AM
No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

Goodnews
11-20-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, this should have been taken into consideration as you were deciding to go pro
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever prepared for having a child?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, I do know that a solid stable 40hr/week job is preferable over something like poker
[ QUOTE ]
Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, but this is exactly why people with no dependants are favoured to take up poker for living[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know you, and my lack of understanding as you put it maybe because of the lack of information you have provided.

Honestly, what did you want to hear? "Your coach is a jerk, etc etc" Please be ready for whatever response is given and once again, suck it up.

Python49
11-20-2005, 04:36 AM
wait.

So you're married with a child on the way - a family to take care of.

You quit your job to play poker for a living.

You play 3/6 and are in need of a poker coach.

Perhaps the better alternative would have been to get good first before quitting your job.

=[

11-20-2005, 04:48 AM
He isnt unfair, he just wants to show you how one gappers are a fair bit worse at straights than real-connectors.

Anyways, you should really look into getting a non-poker job for now. Playing shorthanded as the only income source, when you are still just laerning it, is asking for trouble. Limit shorthanded has a lot of variance. If you are making some frequent errors along the way, it can become really rough.

Subfallen
11-20-2005, 04:50 AM
WTF? Why would you go pro playing 3/6??

11-20-2005, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hired someone to do a job. He's doing his job.

What am I missing?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Personal opinion: You have screwed tha pooch and at the same time gotten your d**k up your own butt.

vexvelour
11-20-2005, 06:03 AM
what python said.

11-20-2005, 06:13 AM
If he is so good at poker, why does he need to moonlight as a coach???

Face it, math problems are for high school kids and nerdy scientists. You are a working professional now, you can't be expected to devote minutes a day on trivial things like this.

Do you think doctors waste their time reading "medical journals" or lawyers waste their time studying "legal briefs"??? Hell no they don't, and as an equally astute professional you shouldn't waste your time...

Remember the poker proverb:
Give a man a hard and fast chart on how to play hold'em and he plays for a day.
Teach a man how to think about hold'em and......he grows bored because this is not a fast enough way to make money.

Anyway...fire his lame ass, kiss your wife, and get out there and build your bankroll.

mosquito
11-20-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

Thanks,
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, if you can't do a little homework, why do you hire a coach? You want him to play for you, as well?

If your other demands are really that great, put the lessons aside until you can make the best of them.

Poldi
11-20-2005, 08:58 AM
He is not unreasonable. If you dont have the time to do it, you should choose another time to get coaching.

Noo Yawk
11-20-2005, 09:21 AM
If you have time to register for this forum and make youe first post a whine session, you have time to do the math problem.

Noo Yawk
11-20-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the math problem or prepare to fail at poker. It gets harder than this. Your other obligations are a seperate issue.

11-20-2005, 10:09 AM
since you act like you must be in middle school, tell the coach that your dog ate your homework.

honestly, is this even a real post? why hire a coach to help improve your game if you aren't going to let him do his job. a hard coach would be one that beats you when you miscount the pot, or fail to recognize redraws.

good luck supporting your family on 3/6 shorthanded.

PJS
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
JeffreyD, I honestly don't know if this post is serious or not. But trust me, if it is, take a long hard review of all these posts. They are right!

If you want to go pro, and are worried about doing some math revision, then you will fail over the long run. Your poker education will never stop, it's a continuous process. If you can't make additional time to learn about the game as well as play, then I personally don't see you lasting long as the game is just too hard.

If I were you, I'd seriously be thinking about the best interests of my wife and child.

If you do still want to continue with poker, then I think you have to change your mindset. take advantage of the recent information that's been made available. You could start by looking at the recent articles by Ed Miller and Dr Schoonmaker. Also, check the new book by Mark Blade.

With a wife and child to support, there is simply to much on the line to make a bad decision.

Good luck,

PJS

ginko
11-20-2005, 01:33 PM
This is a joke guys...

ITS GOTTA BE

27offsuit
11-20-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll.....

tripdad
11-20-2005, 02:20 PM
i'm married and have 4 kids under the age of 3 and have 16 rental units to maintain. even i can find an extra hour or so a week to do something important.

tripdad

tonypaladino
11-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Ed Miller's guidelines for going pro:

[ QUOTE ]
1. You have no dependants. You have no children, parents, significant others, or otherwise whose lives will be adversely affected if you end up broke.

5. You already play fairly well. You don’t have to play particularly well to be a professional these days. This is one area where old material on going pro is obsolete. Three years ago, you had to be quite a good player to generate enough income to live on. Now, with online play and so many terrible players, you merely have to play decently to generate significant income. But you do have to be a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source (http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/articles/article4.htm)

einbert
11-20-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think doctors waste their time reading "medical journals" or lawyers waste their time studying "legal briefs"??? Hell no they don't, and as an equally astute professional you shouldn't waste your time...

Remember the poker proverb:
Give a man a hard and fast chart on how to play hold'em and he plays for a day.
Teach a man how to think about hold'em and......he grows bored because this is not a fast enough way to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.

HopeydaFish
11-20-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.drunkdwarves.com/images/ddmail/crybaby.jpg

BobboFitos
11-20-2005, 07:31 PM
my friend linked me this post, and I dont think this is me. I assign harder hw problems, obv.

J Chap
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
When your boss at your old job asked you to spend 20 minutes sorting through some files (or changing the fry grease, as it were), did you also duck away from that?

it sounds to me like you want poker to be your main job, but you also want to keep thinking of it as just a game for fun.

i'd say pick one or the other, man.

tongni
11-21-2005, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your coach sucks and I bet he plays 15/30 and barely beats it. That, or he's telling all his buddies over AIM how he's going to get some married guy to calculate stupid [censored] for him. To all the people saying he should suck it up and solve these problems, please go back to playing 2/4 and stop giving advice. The fact is for all purposes 98s and 97s are the same thing. The difference between these two hands is probably .02 bb, yet I'm sure this guy is making errors that are on the magnitude of almost a full big bet.

Please get a new coach.

Edit: Get a real job too. If you are crushing the games and have no dependants it can sometimes be hard. If you aren't sure you're winning much, and have to pay bills. . well. .

gildwulf
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your coach sucks and I bet he plays 15/30 and barely beats it. That, or he's telling all his buddies over AIM how he's going to get some married guy to calculate stupid [censored] for him. To all the people saying he should suck it up and solve these problems, please go back to playing 2/4 and stop giving advice. The fact is for all purposes 98s and 97s are the same thing. The difference between these two hands is probably .02 bb, yet I'm sure this guy is making errors that are on the magnitude of almost a full big bet.

Please get a new coach.

Edit: Get a real job too. If you are crushing the games and have no dependants it can sometimes be hard. If you aren't sure you're winning much, and have to pay bills. . well. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your coach Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid? It sounds like the wax-on, wax-off approach to poker.

Dan Mezick
11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
This is a spoof post, right?

dtbog
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
how old are you?

Reef
11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Why would you go pro playing 3/6??

[/ QUOTE ]

11-21-2005, 07:32 PM