PDA

View Full Version : Is there enough money in Stud to make it worth learning?

PuppetMaster
06-29-2003, 07:47 AM
I have been strictly a hold'em player. I know hold'em is much more complex, and therefore allows a better player to make more money as opposed to stud poker whihc is fairly straight foward. My question is what kind of money is there to be won in playing stud?

Wombat6
06-29-2003, 10:58 AM
a smart guy like you can win tons in a simple straight forward game like 7 stud hi. And what makes it even better is you dont need to learn or study a damn thing. Just plop you bumm down in any nearby 10, 20 or 30 game and take the money off. It might take a bit of time though due to the high luck factor but, you will get it in the end.

Go For IT Today.

Wombat6

p.s. where you thinking of playing?

Allan
06-29-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm still learning stud and it is taking me a little longer to get a grasp on the game than it did with holdem. Granted I have not yet dedicated a proper amount of study/experience time to the game. I find that the game is no more or less complex than holdem. They are just different games and the complexities of each game take place in different parts of the hand. Holdem, for example, is fairly routine preflop (straightforward), alot of the complexity issues arrive after the flop. In stud, 3rd street can be a comlex situation depending on the info you are projecting with your upcard in relation to those of your opponents upcards and their position. Stud seems to be more straightforward later in the hand.

It is interesting to note that Mason has also continually argued that stud players make a little more than their holdem counterparts.

As for the question as to what kind of money there is to be making at stud....there are bad players in every game played. If you wanna take advantage of this, the best thing to do is learn as much as possible about every game you can. Your game selection will then encompass even more tables to choose from.

Just my opinion,
Allan

FeliciaLee
06-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Please go study some Stud books. I am not the flaming type, and I never want to make anyone feel badly about themselves, but some of the original comments and the second post were absolutely wrong. Please find out what you are saying before making statements.

Yes, Mason is right, and so is David S. Stud has a much higher variance, but it also has more money to be made than HE. Picking the right games is a huge factor. Please read David's advanced book on Stud.

Stud is not a "straight forward" game. Don't be deceived.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-29-2003, 12:58 PM
"...what makes it even better is you dont need to learn or study a damn thing. Just plop you bumm down in any nearby 10, 20 or 30 game and take the money off. "

This must be a joke, because I am LMAO all day long! Yea, just throw your 7CSFAP21 out the window, you don't need to know any of that nonsense, especially not if you're totally new to the game. Doyle's stud high section, total BALONEY. It'll only help you lose more than if you never read it. This IS what you are saying, right? Skip all that "book learnin' crapola" and such, right? AND - AND - you recommend that he jump right into the middle limit games! Where money is just being given away freely by all the morons that can't even beat an inexperienced newbie who thinks stud isn't very complex at all! FUNNY!!!!!! Great joke!!!! I need a tissue I'm laughing so hard!

I think what teddy really wanted was real responses, tho I am still laughing right now.

Teddy has the impression that hold'em is more complex than stud, which is NOT true. With all the upcards in stud, deciding things like drawing odds is FAR more complex. Hold'em is very sophisticated, yes, but the drawing odds are always the same and never change. The upcards in stud can be very useful to someone who knows how to adjust for them.

And Teddy, practice in the small split limit online games first. Follow the advice in "the book."

al

Fraubump
06-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Apparently not. Loved the PS.

FeliciaLee
06-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Frau, I understood Wombat's humor, of course. But to someone asking a legitimate question who does not know any better, he might have misunderstood and thought Wombat was serious. That is why I responded the way I did. No one has a more sarcastic sense of humor than I do /forums/images/icons/grin.gif but I knew that it could be terribly misconstrued by Teddy.

patrick dicaprio
06-29-2003, 09:43 PM
there is a higher variance in stud but only at the higher levels. at 10-20 and below there is not a great variance if you play well.

Pat

Wombat6
06-30-2003, 12:08 AM
OK OK just a bit of marsupial humor. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

First study your arse off and learn to live with that 7CSFAP sized lump under your pillow. Get a copy of Othmers 7CSP for every dunny in the house. ( and the one round back too!!) after about 3 or 4 years of Study , Play , Analyze, Repeat and a few rounds of calculator batteries you might know enough to carry your bumm back to the hold em tables. Of course if your into mental Gymnastics you might stick around long enough to go broke a time or two. And if you are really into cranial masochism /forums/images/icons/confused.gif you might as well buy in again and hope next time you stick. By then you will be able to take off the big money in stud AND hold em and omaha and stud hi low and maybe even razz. Lets all hope the game hasnt completly settled into a crepuscular decline by then. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just kidding with a few years of dedicated practice and study you should be well versed enough to take it off in most the games in the low mid limit range levels. Be forwarned you will need a bit larger bankroll to withstand the normal variations. But then again you might get lucky.

Wombat6

Wombat6
06-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Im not so sure I agree /forums/images/icons/confused.gif with your statement in a wholesale manner.

The variation in a poker game is a product of (among other things) your own aggression and the levels of aggression displayed by your opponents. also by how many speculative hands that are played. Rather than any generic or arbitratry size limitation.

It is true that most bargan basement games display a relatively low bankroll fluctuation because of the tight and passive nature of the normal customers. and the fact that most of these guys simply suck as poker players.(However the S.D. is a bit higher that that of other games). One of the factors behind this low amount of bankroll fluctuation is that the popular literature aimed at these games perscribes a very tight style of play. This type of play is often correct because of the effects of the rake on the games and the structure (size of the antes and bringins) . However if you are lucky enough to find a real rammer jammer I can safely wager that you will come to be familiar with the /forums/images/icons/blush.gif loopdeedoo's /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif experianced by some of the higher limit players.

Wombat6

Duke
07-01-2003, 06:12 PM
There are so few hands that have absolute value in stud that (most) every decision must be made on the fly. Stud games seem a lot more passive than Hold'em games, as a raise is a lot more powerful in stud, but I would agree that high variance is possible. I've been fortunate to be able to find fairly passive opponents in the LA 15-30 and 30-60 games recently, though, and have seen a lot less variance than I have in Hold'em. Aggression is a big factor.

~D