PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Learn To Play Guitar/Name Some Good Acoustic Songs

IggyWH
11-20-2005, 02:47 AM
I don't know why, but I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. I've never really even touched a guitar before other than some random goofing around with one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a gameplan? Do these music stores that offer lessons worth it or should I look into a private music teacher? Is this just something I should just give up on since it takes a ton of dedication?

I'm also looking for some good acoustic songs. Educate me as I just have a couple songs like an Incubus song & a Foo Fighters song.

diebitter
11-20-2005, 02:50 AM
buy a cheap one (+case and strap) and a self-learning book is the cheapest way to go. Lessons are a faster track, but dearer.

If you're a little person, get a 3/4 guitar, they are very good too, and less bulky in storage/transport.

CheckRaise
11-20-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't play acoustic much but when I do my favorite songs to play are Tears in Heaven and Classical Gas. Tears in Heaven shouldn't be too tough for a beginner although you definitly need some practice before you attempt Classical Gas.

fluxrad
11-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Get a teacher. You'll be forced to do things like learn sheet music and play "correctly" which is extremely valuable. You'll also get quite a bit of music theory which will help you when you decide to cross over to other instruments.

As for great acoustic songs, I'd recommend anything by James Taylor. Women fscking melt when you play "Something In The Way She Moves", and it's not that hard to learn. You'll need to learn Stairway because, while it may be trite because everyone knows it, everyone knows it. Plus it'll help you learn finger picking.

Keep in mind an acoustic is played just like an electric, so anything you could learn for an electric can be translated with ease assuming you're not learning on a classical guitar, which can be a bit harder. The only real difference between an electric and acoustic is thicker strings and higher action. That's about it.

Good luck, and remember - the faster you get the blisters, the faster you get the calluses /images/graemlins/wink.gif

11-20-2005, 04:11 AM
electric is very much different than accoustic. Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa. Sure, the basics are pretty much the same, but the sorts of things you play are much different.

diebitter
11-20-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As for great acoustic songs, I'd recommend anything by James Taylor. Women fscking melt when you play "Something In The Way She Moves", and it's not that hard to learn. You'll need to learn Stairway because, while it may be trite because everyone knows it, everyone knows it. Plus it'll help you learn finger picking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for someone to raise playing to girls on the stairs at parties - I'm with Bluto (Animal house) on this one, but actually this specific suggestion about 'something' is pretty good.

Stairway - noooooooo!

fluxrad
11-20-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 17 year old power-chord hungry pedal addicts might have a problem, but no solid guitar player I've ever met has had this trouble.

diebitter
11-20-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many strong electric players fall apart when they go to play accoustic, and vice-versa

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 17 year old power-chord hungry pedal addicts might have a problem, but no solid guitar player I've ever met has had this trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, acoustic players have no problem at all with electric. Maybe the other way round re finger strength (harder to press acoustic strings), but this is minor and wouldn't take long to fix.

PokerBob
11-20-2005, 04:16 AM
learn the following:
Driver 8 - REM
Frying Pan - Evan Dando (writtein by Victoria Willaims)
Throwing Things - Superchunk

Enjoy!

astroglide
11-20-2005, 04:16 AM
i'm a decent guitarist and i learned by screwing around and trying to play things

Mason Hellmuth
11-20-2005, 04:17 AM
wish you were here

manpower
11-20-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously man, have you ever known a 'strong' guitar player?

To the OP: I recommend tryin the DIY method for a while. If you're musically inclined you should be able to pick up enough of the basics to make a more informed decision of whether you want to dish out for lessons or not.

[edit] Furthermore, if you have a friend who is willing to help get you started, give the guy a 6 pack per lesson or something.

fluxrad
11-20-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously man, have you ever known a 'strong' guitar player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Seriously man.

Saying you know a "strong" guitar player who can work an electric but can't find his way around an acoustic is like saying you know a "strong" pianist who can rock an Oxygen 8 but can't play a baby grand for [censored].

11-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Perhaps you arent interpreting what I am saying to its fullest.

Guitarists who are extremely good electric players often dont have enough practice on the accoustic to play extremely good accoustic songs. For example, you can take outrageously sick alternate pickers like John Petrucci, stick him on an accoustic, and he's not putting out nearly the same quality.

Furthermore, I myself am a strong electric player. But you stick me on an accoustic and its like "well, I know a lot of chords, modes, and can play fast in odd time signatures, but these things and the styles associated with them dont translate directly into good accoustic music". I end up getting what sounds like music for an electric guitar being played on an accoustic.

To the OP - If you just want to impress some bitches with accoustic skills, you can probably pick up a "how to learn accoustic guitar" book. However, if you are really interested in learning guitar, you should get private lessons.

fluxrad
11-20-2005, 04:37 AM
I think manpower was trying to agree with you.

Mason Hellmuth
11-20-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To the OP - If you just want to impress some bitches with accoustic skills, you will probably look like a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

fluorescenthippo
11-20-2005, 04:38 AM
goo goo dolls - name

11-20-2005, 04:39 AM
ooops, I misread who the post was directed to. Oh well, I'm leaving it up. Its a good one!

Soul Daddy
11-20-2005, 04:42 AM
I don't particularly like Dave Matthews, but many of his songs are fun to play. Perhaps it's because I learned guitar from a Dave freak and that's all he'd ever teach me.

fluxrad
11-20-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
goo goo dolls - name

[/ QUOTE ]

This could very easily cause your testicles to explode and, in the seething gash left by your sudden emasculation, will be nothing but a single rose-smelling vagina.