PDA

View Full Version : blocking bet minraised, fold?

11-19-2005, 11:55 PM
I put out a dollar on the river as a blocking bet should i have folded to his raise? Was turn bet correct? Thank you

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($14.25)
MP ($3.20)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($8.95)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($9.35)</font>
BB ($2.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.20) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.9</font>, Button calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, Button calls $1.

River: ($5) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2.2</font>, Hero calls $1.20.

Final Pot: $9.40
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $9.40, between Button and Hero.</font>

Rockatansky
11-19-2005, 11:59 PM
A blocking bet needs to be larger than 1/5 of the pot. Bet half pot or so. As played, call the raise.

11-20-2005, 12:01 AM
im check calling turn and, blocking river. He comes over blocking bet he has me beat and i fold.

benwood
11-20-2005, 12:28 AM
You're getting 8.2 to 1 on your crying call. You need to feel pretty sure that you're beat to make a correct fold. I'm that sure. I fold.

SpaceAce
11-20-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're getting 8.2 to 1 on your crying call. You need to feel pretty sure that you're beat to make a correct fold. I'm that sure. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not getting 8.2:1 because he is calling $1.20, not $1. Even so, I call because
A) I'll be good here sometimes
B) I want to see those cards.

SpaceAce

11-20-2005, 01:49 AM
This might be a dumb question but, can someone tell me what a blocking bet is?

Thanks

gol4pro
11-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Do you really see him raising this river with something less than a pair of Queens?

As much as I hate folding in the face of good pot odds, I fold here.

Allinlife
11-20-2005, 10:56 AM
bet 2$ on turn.. ace unlikely helped villan

river bet is disgusting. it's so weak you are gonna get bluff raised which is complete opposite of what blocking bet should achieve. you block to prevent other guy from bluffing, not to induce bluff.

I'd probably check-fold river as you can't be out for value and I don't see a hand worse than QQ betting.

Jimbio
11-20-2005, 01:08 PM
if i got it right, a blocking bet is a carefull measured bet that you lay OOP, designed to only be raised if you are beaten.

The reason you do a blockingbet is that you got a hand that you want to showdown, yet you are afraid that villain will do a bigger bet if you check to him.

The size of a blockingbet to be effective varies with opponent. If your opponent is timid, you can get away with smaller bets, and if you are up against more aggressive, tricky opponents they need to be bigger to discourage a raise that is solely a bluff.

A situation which a blockingbet may be the right move is if you bet all the way versus what you expect to be a villain on a draw. But for all you know he might aswell call you down with a marginal holding, thus - having him beat.
But on the river falls the dreadfull card that would complete his draw.
If you check, he will bet his completed hand big, and he will check behind with his stubborn pair.
But if you make a blockingbet you will be called by the stubborn pair and you will be raised with the filled hand, allowing you to fold, saving you the money you'd otherwise would have called if you would have checked to him on the river. (makes sense? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

But it cannot be emphasised enough: The size of your bet is very very villain dependant. If you are up against a thinking opponent who might read your smallish bet on the river as a blockingbet, he might read you as scared and raise what could either be a different draw, or a lousy pair.
Adjust the size accordingly.