PDA

View Full Version : AK unimproved against a LAG

11-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Villan is 50/26/2 (n=50). He is more likely to bet and raise with draws than made hands (he calls AA or better until turn). I'm brand new to 6-max and am not sure how much to loosen up in this bet-fest. I was thinking, check-raise the flop then check-fold would be reasonable.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ?

Nick Royale
11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm uncomfortable in this situation. But I think I'll call/call/call UI most often. He's a lag and you're probably ahead often, but he will get 3-bet a lot by weak pairs and I wouldn't feel comfortable folding anywhere in this hand. Your AK has serious sd value here.

BigEndian
11-22-2005, 09:36 AM
CRing isn't going to give you much information about your hand. Giving this kind of player excess action in general is a bad idea. If you don't have a solid read on his tendancies, then either fold the flop or call down. You pick.

Another thing to look for against LAGs: very often they push their PPs the hardest - even 66. Or they'll push a hand hard but only bet the end when they have something to show (that can beat Ace-high). Try to keep track of these when confronted with a LAG.

Edit: by the by, 50 hands tells us pretty much nothing in a 6-handed game.

- Jim

winky51
11-22-2005, 11:01 AM
SD value? look at the board Q33. If he has AQ or any pair the AK is beat. This is about as tough as it gets for our hero. Examine all the hands this guy will CAP and bet all the way down with. But the 26% PRF is a lot. I bet this guy raises with any 2 paint, any ace, any pair, any suited connector. That would fit 26%.

If he CAPs with crap a lot then you have to call down I think. If he CAPs only with pairs and top 10 then probably folding is better. This one is so player dependant.

I have known players that just keep bluffing and betting over and over never learning that we caught on. In these cases any reasonable hand is a call down because they are just as likely to show a set as they would 72o no pair no draw.

Nick Royale
11-22-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SD value? look at the board Q33. If he has AQ or any pair the AK is beat. This is about as tough as it gets for our hero. Examine all the hands this guy will CAP and bet all the way down with. But the 26% PRF is a lot. I bet this guy raises with any 2 paint, any ace, any pair, any suited connector. That would fit 26%.

If he CAPs with crap a lot then you have to call down I think. If he CAPs only with pairs and top 10 then probably folding is better. This one is so player dependant.

I have known players that just keep bluffing and betting over and over never learning that we caught on. In these cases any reasonable hand is a call down because they are just as likely to show a set as they would 72o no pair no draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually didn't realise it was 6-max when I first posted. Still I think a player like this will cap a pretty wide range, but we don't have many hands on him. And I still think we're ahead on this flop pretty often.

11-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Raise, bet the turn if he checks to you, and check behind the river unimproved. The utg raise just means he's decided to play his hand. The cap means he doesn't believe you. It doesn't tell you much about his hand at all. There's a decent chance you have him dominated, AJ, A10, KJ. A hand like sixes or sevens is possible, but I like showing down against this guy.

krimson
11-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Against the typical short-handed LAG, you should just call this down, a raise u/i is spewing. There is enough money in the pot at the flop that you can call down hoping your AK is good (we're getting 5:15 on our money, assuming he bets every street, so we only need to win a bit more than 25% of the time).