PDA

View Full Version : Noob wireless questions

juggernaut
11-19-2005, 08:09 PM
I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I’m ready to go wireless, but I’ve got a couple basic questions before I head across the street to Staples and spend some cash.

The Inspiron came with a built-in wireless card (Intel(R)PRO/Wireless 2200BG), and I’m assuming this is adequate for my poker needs. In addition to my laptop, I have a PC desktop (and Mac) across the room, and all are connected to a cable modem (Comcast) using a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (DI-604).

According to my limited research, all I need is an access point, and this can be connected directly to my current router (I think). So....

Should I avoid a hybrid system, i.e. connect a Linksys access point to my D-Link router? I mostly ask because Staples selection is limited and on last check they had mostly Linksys in stock.

If I can get a wireless router for less cash than an access point, wouldn’t this be the way to go? (Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router is 54.99 on amazon) Would it also have the wired ethernet ports on back to connect my desktops?

If I’m way off on anything here, feel free to set me straight. Thanks for any advice....

fluxrad
11-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Buy a WRT54G. Connect that to your cable modem. Connect everything to your WRT54G. It costs ~$30 at newegg.

juggernaut
11-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, just read a bunch of reviews on amazon that complain about v5 of the WRT54G that came out recently, something about the firmware being 'different' (half the RAM and non-Linux based) and unstable. Couple reviews on newegg say to ask for v4 instead of v5.

fluxrad
11-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Hmmm. I haven't done a lot of research on them, but this is solid advice.