PDA

View Full Version : How many hours per week does everyone play?

LondonBroil
06-29-2003, 12:30 AM
I see a lot of posts about people who have deposited $X amount into (insert site name here) and they've built their bankroll up to Y amount (Y = a lot more than X) in Z amount of weeks because the other players at this site are so bad.

I only play maybe 5-10 hours a week and it seems like it's taking forever to build a good bankroll. I've gone from $500 to $1600 but it's taken me a little over 3 months playing mostly .5/1 and 1/2 with a little bit of shorthanded 3/6 and 5/10 when I see a good looking table. The problem is that I don't usually have enough in 1 site to feel comfortable playing 3/6 or higher even though my total bankroll is sufficient. Should I consolidate more? Do you usually have all your funds in 1 site or do you keep it seperated for table selection? I also try to keep some in Neteller in case a juicy bonus pops up at the last minute.

I was just wondering on average how many hours all of you play a week. Do you have a normal job or do you live exclusively off your online profits? Do you play every day? How long are your sessions?

onlinechamp
06-29-2003, 01:07 AM
I am a losing player I win now quite a bit and my name is onlinechamp on most poker sites and I have bankrolls on all the sites never enough to play the limits I do I just play them anyways! I play every hour of every day that I am at home!

dux
06-29-2003, 03:27 AM
For the first time I can answer these questions as I just started keeping acurate records. I'm on holidays at the moment, but I generally play every day. Here is how much I played over an 8 day period:

20 hours, 30 minutes.
14 hours, 40 minutes in ring games.
5 hours, 50 minutes in tournaments (STTs)
I played 7 of the 8 days.

And like I said I'm on holidays, I'm a student, but I also work in a supermarket.

I haven't got my spreadsheet to give me averages for session length, plus I'm not sure what you would consider a session. How long you stay in a particular room or how long you spend online playing consecutively at different rooms and sites?

But....

My longest session was a 2 hour, 7 minute session (I won $3.55), but my average time seems to be to sit in a room and play from 40 to 80 minutes.

Legend27
06-29-2003, 03:55 AM
Quit your job at the super market. Play 3 tables on party of NL 25 and you will make $10+ an hour. And on NL the longer the session the better it is. You can build up more money at each table and win bigger pots since you got more money at the table.

gene mahon
06-29-2003, 04:14 AM
Hello London Broil,

To address your question, I would like to preclude my answer with this assertion: I am a streaky player. By this, I mean I have in the past sat for nearly one consecutive day, while there have been other instances when I played for 15 minutes before shutting down my computer. With this in mind, I would guesstimate that I spend anywhere from 40-60 hours a week playing poker on the world wide web. I consistenly cashout from pokerstars, partypoker, paradisepoker, pokertropolis, as well as ladbrokes, ultimatebet, and acr. To be honest with all of you, I find the most fulfilling part of the relationship I have with the vast majority of the sites that I play on is the capacity to earn money with a new monicker. The value of anonymity can greatly increase my total earnings.

Gene Mahon

dux
06-29-2003, 04:19 AM
I'd love to do it - and when my game gets better, my bankroll gets bigger, I'll think about it.

onlinechamp
06-29-2003, 04:28 AM
Gene who are you?

rusty JEDI
06-29-2003, 04:38 AM
i am pretty sure that this is a player at pokerstars named "jje123."

rJ

gene mahon
06-29-2003, 04:44 AM
That is correct rJ, well done. In fact, I would venture to say that was some excellent correlation=causation tactic...

Gene Mahon

onlinechamp
06-29-2003, 07:05 AM
WOOHOO ITS RAIL BIRD CITY HERE!

Homer
06-29-2003, 10:24 AM
I play 15-20 hr/wk.

I have a full-time job (9-5, 40 hr/wk).

I use my profits to splurge on whatever. I don't really need the money (right now at least) but it's nice to make a little extra doing something I enjoy.

-- Homer

TheArtist
06-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I play between 40 to 45 hours per week(was 50+ before but I discipline myself to cut down). I play on Sunday-Thursday(Friday and Saturday off), and maybe a couple of hours on Friday before I head out to do so some partying. Usually, I play about 3 hour session in the day time, and then around midnight I play till 6 am(a 6 hour session). Online Poker is my only source of income(atleast for this year). I decided to go full time a few months ago.

TheArtist

richie
06-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi, LB. I usually play about 20-25 hrs per week, if I have the time. I usually only play .50/1 and 1/2 , so I usually pull out money at the end of the month--I don't like to keep a lot of money on the sites, I have a tendency to lose it at higher stakes if it's in my account /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I work 40+ hrs per week, poker is just extra money for bills, vacations, etc. I mainly play at Party, so most of my bankroll is there (around $400). I keep $100 at ultimate, which is where I play when Party is having server problems /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Since you have Neteller, I wouldn't worry about consolidating, as it is very simple to transfer funds. BTW, I normally play anywhere from 2-5 hr sessions, depending on how the game is. Hmm, It appears you are winning $10/hr by your accord, doesn't sound bad to me at those stakes /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Continued good luck to you.

kdog
06-29-2003, 08:54 PM
I play about 20 hours a week in addition to a full time job that takes up 45-50 hours.During the week it's usually about 2 hours a night and more on weekends,but I do play almost every day.
Right now the online profits are paying a mortgage while I wait for a contractor to get an addition done so I can move and stop paying rent.If this drags on much longer it will put a serious crimp in my "How to get a hot tub from online poker fund".

RollaJ
06-30-2003, 08:52 PM
I've done the x<y thing and play about 50 hours a month or so, get out of the 50/$1 games if you wanna build it up faster, try low limit NL and move up to 2-4 or higher, 50/$1 is like bingo on most sites