PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called fish?

Ralle
06-28-2003, 10:34 PM
I've been wondering why weak players are referred to as fish. Is it because sucker is a type of fish or is that just a coincident?

Nottom
06-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I always thought it was because they were food for the "sharks"

Fitz
06-30-2003, 10:45 AM
I think "fish" is often a term for weaklings in several arenas. When I was wrestling in high school, we called the bad wrestlers "fish" this was mostly because they flopped around on their backs like fish out of water. I have seen some of this same behavior from bad players at the poker table too.. lol

Good luck,

Rockfish
06-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Two possibilites. I have evidence for neither but they both lead to the same place.

1) The colloquialism "shooting fish in a barrel" refers to anything that is very easy.

2) A "fish out of water" is someone who is out of his element.

The first possibility seems a more likely origin of the term "fish". Party poker is then the barrel.

My hat is old,
my teeth are gold,
I have a bird,
I like to hold.
I have a bird I like to hold,
my hat is old,
my teeth are gold,
and now my story is all told.

From "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" By Dr. Suess

Ralle
07-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Is it then just a coincidence that a "sucker" is a type of fish, and that in poker "sucker" and "fish" are just about synonymous?

lefty rosen
07-02-2003, 07:04 PM
All of these ideas are plausible, it's like why are bad players called birds, donaters, calling stations, chasers, maniacs and crackheads? The genus of a losing player all starts from a time period and place where the term was popular, you can call me weak, but just don't call me late for dinner.....

whiskeytown
07-02-2003, 08:56 PM
I dunno....

but it's probably for the same reason new inmates are called "Fresh Fish" -

watch your cornhole, dude...

RB

Tommy Angelo
07-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Players who call other people fish are not very good spellers so they have to keep their ridiculing simple. Maybe if they had paid better attention in schools.

Deelah
07-03-2003, 11:16 AM
I think itīs because they like the river.. You just use to get rivered by bad players, hitting their gutshot draw. Fish.

inkstain
07-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Alligators and crocodiles like the river, too. Odd.