PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on Cloutier's NL Hold'em book?

clovenhoof
06-28-2003, 06:28 PM
I found his book on Omaha to be a piece of crap, with maybe 9-10 pages worth of content in the whole book.

Is the hold'em book any better?

'hoof

Al Mirpuri
06-28-2003, 07:08 PM
The Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold'em book has had mixed reviews. Some reviewers think it a must have, whilst Mason Malmuth does not rate it very highly. I think he gave it a six.

AceHigh
06-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Stay away from Cloutier and McEvoy books. None of them are any good.

Zele
06-30-2003, 04:46 PM
I just bought it and I was extremely disappointed. The advice is about on the level of _Winning Low Limit Hold'em_, i.e. fine for a beginner to cut his teeth on but hardly written for an aspiring "Champion."

nicky g
07-03-2003, 06:02 AM
"The advice is about on the level of _Winning Low Limit Hold'em_,"

... and far less consistent, not nearly as well written, horribly edited, blah. they tell you to do things (often weird things) but give you know in depth idea of why you want to make such plays, unlike say ciaffone and reuben who talk about the depth of the money, dexption, position etc. It's overpriced too. When discussing tournament play they focus far too much on "the early stages", "the middle stages" etc, as if all tournaments played the same (I think their model is the WSOP, which is isn't much use to most tourneys) and not enough on your chip count, blind sizes, the speed of the increases etc. They also talk about things like "timing", "feel" etc which, as they explain them, are completely useless concepts. There is some good advice but in general it's a piece of poo.