PDA

View Full Version : what should i do ?

gorie
11-19-2005, 11:44 AM
warning : long boring post about my carpal tunnel syndrome.

i went to the doctor last saturday because of some problems with my right hand/arm, and was nervous that i had carpal tunnel syndrome. after reading about it, it seemed exactly the symptoms i was experiencing.

so after his exam he told me what i already suspected, and that i was at the early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome. i showed him the hand motions i make at work and he wasn't surprised that was likely the cause. (i do color analyzing of photos all day using a 'wheelman' , each finger goes on a dial to adjust color D,R,G,B) and a lot of repetative hand motions with the mouse (a lot of clicking and dragging).

this isn't me, but a picture i just googled to kinda show what i do, although my desk setup isn't the same (probably a lot worse).
http://www.creighton.edu/~apolk/images/wheelman.jpg

ok anyway...
so the doctor said i should first have my work place evaluated to make sure everything is positioned ok etc.
he also told me to take 3 ibuprofen a day, and rest the hand as much as possible.
also to wear a brace (i had already bought one earlier in the week), especially at night. he told me i could still work while wearing the brace (i have read online this can actually make it worse /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).
he kinda had a "you're too young to worry about this" attitude, and said hopefully it will be better in 2 weeks. i'm 25, but idon't think that makes a difference. it is more common in people over 50, but it is the repetative motions on the computer that put me at risk, not my age.

if it's not better in 2 weeks (now 1 week) i will have to have some nerve test done on my wrist to see how badly the nerve is being pinched. next step of treatment is cortizone injection, if that doesnt' work next option is surgery which from what i understand still doesn't always help.

so i am pretty nervous about this whole thing for many reasons, i need my hands to be normal /images/graemlins/frown.gif ! i really like the idea of being an artist and oil painting in the future so this is extremely scary to me that if i cause permanant damage this will not be possible.

OK, so...
i went to work on monday this week and wrote a letter to my boss explaining the situation, and i gave him some info on carpal tunnel syndrome.

the previous week, i did tell him i thought i might be getting carpal tunnel and would be going to a doctor. and was mostly working left handed (which isn't easy, since i am right handed) to avoid using my right hand. he didn't seem too concerned.

after he read my letter, we sat down to discuss, he did say "so this is serious!" .
he seemed willing to help me through this and get better (obviously he doesn't want to worry about workers compensation etc), and says i am not only a valuable employee but an asset (but i doubt i am much value if i am not able to use my hand and do my current position).
so for now, he is having me train someone else (being as good as me is not an easy thing to learn, cuz i'm pretty much awesome), so they can sit with me through the day as i talk them through it, allowing me to rest my hands. he was going to have me train her soon anyway since we will need someone else for next busy season, but this gives us a head start.

the problem is, this is only part of the day since she has other work to get done. the rest of the day he is fine with the "well you are doing ok with your left hand" way of thinking, and i am using my left hand now.

the situation is frustrating, i can't really take time off of work because i would be creating a huge problem at work since i am needed. not only that but i need the money.
even if i use my left hand for the wheelman, and mouse, i still feel like i end up using my right hand too much at work for someone who should be giving it time to rest and heal. even just the motions of pulling orders from my box etc i am sure are not good to do all day long. i am right handed, i am not ambidextrious. it's hard to stay my full shift so i have been leaving an hour early every day, this is nice at the time but will suck when i start seeing my checks.

also my boss did say he would look into having a physical therapist or someone come in to look at the work station (he wasn't sure who would do such an evaluation, i am not sure either) , haven't heard anything about it since ..

the doctor didn't say i should take time off work. i am feeling concerned that i am making this problem worse by not taking it more seriously. i get the feeling my boss thinks it will magically go away over night since he asks me every morning if it is any better.

do i just keep doing what i am doing and hope it gets better ? if anything i am starting to feel symptoms on my left hand now, but that's probably just me being crazy. although it's not like my left hand is use to being used so much. my right hand is not feeling any better.

i feel like i'm suppose to just suffer through one more week, just to go back to the doctor and have him tell me "since it didn't get better, now you have to take the nerve tests and get cortizone injection." where if i was actually properly resting my hand, i may have avoided this.

i also feel like i'm going to get stuck with the medical bills, i do have insurance through work but this is just annoying to me. i don't know how this workers compensation crap works but it seems like something no one really wants to get involved with and i am not sure it is something i should be getting involved with right now.

ahhhhhhh. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
also i can't really just get another job, since this is all i know. and i doubt i can make more $$ doing anything else. i make $12/hr and probably the best i will ever see since i don't have a degree in anything and hate most normal jobs.

p.s. no comments on this post being too long for someone concerned with their wrist, or die!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif this whole thing makes me really nervous and i needed to vent.

p.p.s. anyone have similar problems that might have suggestions for me that will help ??

11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
You should marry a pro poker player then quit your job.

Matt Flynn
11-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Very important for you to address the problem well. The last lecture I heard on this (in 1997) said many people chronically flex their wrists while sleeping, so wearing the braces at night was highly recommended. Not sure if that is current. Your hand mechanics probably can be improved: definitely see an occupational therapist or better get a worksite visit. OT can be prescribed by your doctor but still may not be covered by insurance. Also, thin about what you dooutside of work that may contribute.

Workman's comp may apply btw. If you end up needing surgery, talk to Human Resources at your job.

Good luck!

AceHigh
11-19-2005, 12:07 PM
You could get a job as a stripper until your hand is better, then go back to your old job or do the painting thing.

gorie
11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could get a job as a stripper until your hand is better, then go back to your old job or do the painting thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
but then i'd have to shave my legs.

AceHigh
11-19-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but then i'd have to shave my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...we'd have to ask Dominic about the econimic impact of not shaving your legs.

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 12:19 PM
If this is your only chronic medical problem, I seriously think your future is in 3/6 with a nice rakeback deal. Paint cherries by day, stack chips by night, press the young studs of your choice into service massaging your wrists. You'd have to try hard to make less than $12/hr. The most significant disadvantage is the lack of easily available medical insurance.

gorie
11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is your only chronic medical problem, I seriously think your future is in 3/6 with a nice rakeback deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, is sucking at poker considered a medical problem ? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kurosh
11-19-2005, 12:24 PM
$12/hr is considered good? Even if you suck, you should be able to make a minimum of $20/hr WITHOUT rakeback playing poker.

$12/hr is only 23k, working 40 hours a week. You live off that?

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 12:26 PM
What's that delightful music in my ear, Gorie?

Is that the sound of the heart of a champion, beating loud and proud beneath your glorious rack?

YOU KNOW, I THINK I'D KNOW THAT SOUND ANYWHERE.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND WIN WIN WIN!

PUUUUUUUUUUUZZLE WITH PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS!

gorie
11-19-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$12/hr is considered good? Even if you suck, you should be able to make a minimum of $20/hr WITHOUT rakeback playing poker.

$12/hr is only 23k, working 40 hours a week. You live off that?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't say it was considered a good income. it sucks, actually. but for me it is good (i started at $8, so yeah being at $12 is pretty nice now). i can't expect more at some other random job, considering i didn't go to school (well i took some classes towards an associate degree in computer networking but i never finished, and wouldn't want to do that anyway) and i don't really have any other skills.

so yes i do live on that. actually i make less than what you said, since my job is seasonal and my hours are cut for a good part of the year. i live with my bf so i share expenses with him, but he makes even less than i do (10.50 i think, but he makes a little extra at poker).
there aren't any jobs around here (green bay, wisconsin) that i could get, that start off at $12/hr.

to say i should be able to make a minimum of $20/hr playing poker without rakeback even if i suck seems silly. if i was able to make money at all playing poker i wouldn't say i suck. you know ? i have 126,000 hands and make -0.73 BB/100 hands. so like i said, i would never count on poker to make money since i lose money playing poker - because i suck. !

IndieMatty
11-19-2005, 01:04 PM
I've had similar, you'll be better in 2 weeks. Listen to the doctor! Feel better.

Lazymeatball
11-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I wanna bang that girl in the picture.

miajag81
11-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Any reason you didn't go to college, gorie? I always assumed you were either in college or had graduated. Not to sound preachy or anything, and you've probably heard this before, but you should probably go. Even if you don't think you would enjoy it, in four years you will have many more options than you have now.

Either that, or get good at poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HopeydaFish
11-19-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.creighton.edu/~apolk/images/wheelman.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever drugs she's on, can I have some?

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome to her /images/graemlins/confused.gif

gorie
11-19-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reason you didn't go to college, gorie? I always assumed you were either in college or had graduated. Not to sound preachy or anything, and you've probably heard this before, but you should probably go. Even if you don't think you would enjoy it, in four years you will have many more options than you have now.

Either that, or get good at poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i know. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
i did go to a technical college, 2 year program for computer networking - i just didn't finish. when it came time to finding an internship 3rd semester, i guess i got stressed out and gave up. i also realized it's not what i want to do. i mean, i can barely even lift a computer! so anyway, it ended up being a waste of money because i'm retarded.

i have too many issues (anxiety etc) i don't think i could do it again, i am afraid if i went back to school i'd just end up wasting more money and not be able to finish when it came time to do things i didn't want to do. i think sometimes about going back to school, if i did it would be for dental hygiene or something because it would be good money - but i can't picture myself following through since there is a lot of things involved that scare me (i'm weird).

i don't mind my job now. i can't think of a job i would really like doing. the only thing is that i am concerned about my hand if i continue doing what i am doing.

in my dream world, my boyfriend goes back and finishes school (he did the same thing as me) and gets a better job to help secure us financially for the future. i continue working where i am at and my hand problem doesn't exist. until i eventually get into painting more and figure out how to make a living at it to make more than i do now, and learn poker well enough to help out. that would be ideal. that way if we ever start a family i could stay home and paint/poker.

anyway, right now i am just hoping the hand thing goes away, the thing that sucks is even if it gets better in a couple weeks, i'm still doing the exact same thing that caused the problem in the first place and i can't imagine that being a good thing. hopefully my boss will have an occupational therapist come in to check out our work stations, i'm not the first to have problems either, but the other guy was part-time and ended up leaving for school, but he use to complaina bout his wrist hurting a lot (i thought he was nuts at the time too , now i know!!). so hopefully my boss will take the whole thing serious, and also figure out how to adjust my work flow to not have me constantly doing the same thing all day long. i don't know. it just sucks.

M2d
11-19-2005, 03:06 PM
where do you live?
you can go here bcpe (http://www.bcpe.org/) to find a certified ergonomist in your area who can perform a workstation evaluation. your company should pick up the cost of this, and worker's comp should pick up the med expenses. talk to hr.

11-19-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my dream world, my boyfriend goes back and finishes school (he did the same thing as me) and gets a better job to help secure us financially for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the boyfriend you've posted about before that is kind of a screw up (no offense) and won't get his [censored] together? this situation sucks. i don't have an answer but good luck. i think you really should seriously consider improving your p*ker game. you have the perfect resource here and it doesn't sound like you have much to lose.

gorie
11-19-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in my dream world, my boyfriend goes back and finishes school (he did the same thing as me) and gets a better job to help secure us financially for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the boyfriend you've posted about before that is kind of a screw up (no offense) and won't get his [censored] together? this situation sucks. i don't have an answer but good luck. i think you really should seriously consider improving your p*ker game. you have the perfect resource here and it doesn't sound like you have much to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
no offense taken,... but i don't really remember posting about him being a screw up ?. are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

other than that i'm not sure what you're referring to. we've been together 8 years now, he's always held the same job and i know he wants better for the future. he lacks motivation (like me /images/graemlins/frown.gif ), but he is a smart guy.

anyway thanks. i do try to improve my poker game, i play almost every day. i study but not as often as i should since i'd rather play, and i am slower at learning than i'd like. i think i will get better though as long as i don't lose my bankroll /images/graemlins/smile.gif bonuses keep me playing for now though , pretty much.

11-19-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was probably it. my bad.

gorie
11-19-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where do you live?
you can go here bcpe (http://www.bcpe.org/) to find a certified ergonomist in your area who can perform a workstation evaluation. your company should pick up the cost of this, and worker's comp should pick up the med expenses. talk to hr.

[/ QUOTE ]
wisconsin
thanks for the link

11-19-2005, 03:35 PM
stick with your left hand. I started to get carpal in my right wrist from flipping saute pans. it even hurt to use a mouse. switched to my left hand, and all was fine.

gorie
11-19-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was probably it. my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

np. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vish
11-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I have no idea what you do with the mouse/wheel thingy, but perhaps you could rig some sort of device to use your hands less. For instance, you can type with your voice these days. Maybe you could get someone to write a program for you that works with whatever it is you do. Just a shot in the dark.

BradleyT
11-19-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wisconsin
thanks for the link

[/ QUOTE ]

Where at in WI? I'm in Milwaukee.

gorie
11-19-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wisconsin
thanks for the link

[/ QUOTE ]

Where at in WI? I'm in Milwaukee.

[/ QUOTE ]
green bay.

HopeydaFish
11-19-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be worried about her nose poking out one of my eyes.

BradleyT
11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
The games at Mason Street are seriously soft, you ever play there?

gorie
11-19-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The games at Mason Street are seriously soft, you ever play there?

[/ QUOTE ]
no but my boyfriend has. i've never played live poker, but i know i should try it there sometime. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astroglide
11-19-2005, 04:09 PM
i had a nerve conduction test last wednesday. i get wrist/etc pain and it just depends on how much i've been computing (which is normally 8-12 hours per day between work and fun).

turns out i'm like above-average on all accounts. ultrasound was negative too. since i've been this active for this long (not to mention video games, guitar, and other things that jam on my hands) it would seem that i'm invulnerable to actual CTS. doesn't mean my hands can't hurt, though. i'd like to try one of those wrist braces out.

i have observed that it helps a lot to balance usage between devices. different keyboards, desks, input devices, etc change things a lot. if you're locked into some static situation with input i imagine it could hurt a lot.

rusellmj
11-19-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have 126,000 hands and make -0.73 BB/100 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch.

Have you read Ed Millers book? It would def help.

Also, have you considered getting help from your employer? Like getting some ergo type stuff for your workspace.

gorie
11-19-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i had a nerve conduction test last wednesday. i get wrist/etc pain and it just depends on how much i've been computing (which is normally 8-12 hours per day between work and fun).

[/ QUOTE ]
do you get the tingling too ? or just pain ?
what do they do for the test ? my dr was like "and you don't want that" (in reference to having to get the test done if it continues) making it sound like it would be painful or something.

astroglide
11-19-2005, 04:19 PM
frankly, i think your doctor [censored] sucks if he's not willing to send you out for objective testing

i've had both tingling/numbness and pain. mostly pain. the numbness has only happened rarely in the last couple years, and it only happened when i had my hands at a crappy angle due to a different desk when i would play tons of online poker.

it takes about 45 minutes. they put little metal loops around a finger, then shock you on various places (wrist, forearm, elbow) to measure how long it takes for the electricity to travel between the points. this is compared with a baseline (presumably for your age/gender/whatever). it's just a mild shock. the only ones i found to be unpleasant were the ones that travelled the longest distances, and there were very few of them.

ultrasounds can apparently see physical manifestations of CTS as well.

gorie
11-19-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
frankly, i think your doctor [censored] sucks if he's not willing to send you out for objective testing

[/ QUOTE ]
he was just hoping it would go away in 2 weeks, and considered that test the next step. i don't know. from what i read online about carpal tunnel syndrome that is standard procedure.

thanks for explaining it though, it doesn't sound too terrible..

Stuey
11-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Going to sound like I'm telling you what to do but I'm not saying I am right but this is what I think you need to do.

[ QUOTE ]
i have 126,000 hands and make -0.73 BB/100 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play poker anymore just play for fun maybe once a month for 2-3 hours. If you didn't stop and take the time to study and change your playing style before 125K worth of hands I doubt you will suddenly decide to put the effort in to change anytime soon. Sorry but you should not feel bad about it poker is not very fun in the long run if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF! From reading your posts you were the last person I expected to hear this from. Stop thinking stuff like that. You can take care of yourself and him as well if you want. You are very smart you just need to stand up for yourself more often.

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, right now i am just hoping the hand thing goes away, the thing that sucks is even if it gets better in a couple weeks, i'm still doing the exact same thing that caused the problem in the first place and i can't imagine that being a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things don't just go away you have to make things change. I know little about carpal tunnel but I would say your wrists are weak and you should try to strengthen them. You are doing a repetitive motion so you have an unbalanced hand currently. Strengthen the parts that you are not using. I don't know what movements you do so it is hard to guess which muscles need work. See a professional therapist my advice is probably bad but I would use these I can't see how it could hurt. (http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1376)

[ QUOTE ]
until i eventually get into painting more and figure out how to make a living at it

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the best idea. Do it now go to school and learn to paint. Get a loan be a poor struggling art student. Learn how to make what sounds like the one thing you truly might put enough effort into to become good at a reality. And even if you end up not becoming a good painter you will probably be happy anyways and that is all that matters imo.

God I sound like a jerk, I am one but I hate when it becomes so obvious. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I’m sure you will be fine without my silly ideas. Hope you feel better soon.

astroglide
11-19-2005, 04:43 PM
the poker elements of this should be discussed somewhere else. gorie, if you'd like to chat about it feel free to make a separate post in an appropriate forum and link to it from here.

The Yugoslavian
11-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Breast implants....

....then your back will be hurting and you won't notice the carpal tunnel.

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
11-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay, for real though, besides getting ridiculously huge breasts to shift the pain...I'd say just become ambidexterous in addition to what you're doing. Sounds like you can do quite a few things with your left hand already but perhaps you can become better and then once your right hand or whatever is better do 1 hr on/1 hr off. I know ppl who have learned to play video games with their feet due to arm problems. So learning to use your left hand well for work should be possible (frustrating though I'm sure). The other thing that will help is to relearn how to use the machines and computers. My ex g/f played a ton of piano (and was so good too...*sigh*) but then had problem with her wrists and literally relearned how to play. It took her a few months but now she can play pain free (altho is still careful not to overdo it).

Yugoslav

siccjay
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Even with that winrate you could probably make at least $12 an hour playing.

The Yugoslavian
11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even with that winrate you could probably make at least $12 an hour playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, we're not supposed to discuss that which shall not be named in OOT but yeah...that's certainly not worth it or even close to worth it. First, Gorie's job may not be the greatest thing ever but it's more interesting than poker...she interacts with coworkers (real people!) and she likely gets benefits of some sort. Also, her variance is pretty sweet and she needs no bankroll. Even if she could make $20/hr at that which shall not be named, I'm not sure I'd recommend she do that instead.

In her job she's actually helping people too, btw....which while it's not important to me apparently (I work in advertising, /images/graemlins/crazy.gif), it can be rewarding.

Yugoslav

astroglide
11-19-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the poker elements of this should be discussed somewhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't mean making references to it and saying 'well we shouldn't exactly talk about it, but...'. it means not talking about it.

gorie
11-19-2005, 05:12 PM
stuey, i don't think you don't sound like a jerk for saying that stuff.

about poker, i like to play - and i have enough profits as bankroll to keep playing and have been balancing out for long enough to be ok with what i'm doing. it's not like i keep depositing money and losing, i am only playing with profits. i am still positive $1500 (was more at one point) , the thing is it's all bonus whoring, since poker tracker shows me a loser. i don't plan on quitting , at least not until i lose what i've made and hopefully that won't happen. i'm not too concerned about the poker thing where i am at now (obviously i want to get better and just started reading another book, but i am not concerned that i am going to end up losing all my money to poker, i'm not that stupid), i was just explaining i can't rely on poker for an income. it doesn't really matter anyway.

about the idea of wanting my bf to get a better job to help secure us financially i don't see how that is a problem. i already do take care of myself. i was only saying "in my dream world" that is what i would like to have happen in the future, more for being prepared if we have kids. i would like the option of staying at home taking care of the kids, and being an artist. that's just me, i don't think there is anything wrong with wanting that. also i'm probably nothing like what you think i am, because it isn't that easy...

about the painting stuff - i don't want to be a poor anything, i need my current income. plus right now i think i need to have a real job and be around people, i'd go crazy otherwise. once i have a family that's a different story.
even still, going to school and becoming a successful artist is not as easy as it sounds.

i know you're just trying to help and i appreciate the comments. i wish it were as easy as it sounds to magically do what i want to do (whatever that is, i'm not really sure) and make a ton of money but it isn't.

gorie
11-19-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the poker elements of this should be discussed somewhere else. gorie, if you'd like to chat about it feel free to make a separate post in an appropriate forum and link to it from here.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree, i didn't mean for this post to even be about that.

gorie
11-19-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Breast implants....

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]
well, i already have big boobs and a back problem. and my wrists still hurt. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Yugoslavian
11-19-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the poker elements of this should be discussed somewhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't mean making references to it and saying 'well we shouldn't exactly talk about it, but...'. it means not talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your hard line to a degree....but is there absolutely no merit in it being brought into a converation such as this? As a viable alternative to possibly helping someone with a real life problem? Nothing specific is being discussed...just the idea of it as a profession (mainly, that stuff about win rate and getting better should be off OOT IMO).

Anyway, whatever....Gorie has given so much happiness and gleefull hilarity to OOT I'd give her a pass just on that....but again, I'm not in charge of [censored], /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Breast implants....

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]
well, i already have big boobs and a back problem. and my wrists still hurt. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BIGGER!!!!!!

It's the American way!

Also, then you can make money by having those ridiculously big ones.....like the ones that are like basketballs, you know? I'm sure there is money in online porn posing with those.

Yugoslav

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-19-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no offense taken,... but i don't really remember posting about him being a screw up ?. are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

other than that i'm not sure what you're referring to. we've been together 8 years now, he's always held the same job and i know he wants better for the future. he lacks motivation (like me /images/graemlins/frown.gif ), but he is a smart guy.

anyway thanks. i do try to improve my poker game, i play almost every day. i study but not as often as i should since i'd rather play, and i am slower at learning than i'd like. i think i will get better though as long as i don't lose my bankroll /images/graemlins/smile.gif bonuses keep me playing for now though , pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all so very sad...

Now, listen to your Uncle Milo. If you are going to partner with a smart, but unmotivated man, you are going to need to make some changes.

1. Stop relying on your bf for your security.
2. Go to college/get a real career.
3. Play less, study more.

astroglide
11-19-2005, 05:33 PM
well, i've certainly been more forgiving due to context and the quality of posters involved.

the problem isn't so much having it as a side-topic in this thread, it's the fact that such discussions will promote other ones by the people that read it. there's no telling whether or not it will escalate in here or cause other people to be more liberal with its discussion in other threads, so i think it's best to simply squelch it upon sight.

rusellmj
11-19-2005, 05:37 PM
It sounds like you've made all the rights moves concerning your condition. The only thing left is to wait to see if things improve or not.

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 06:14 PM
I would like to say that I am pleased at the display of concern and support that this forum is capable of, provided the time and poster are right.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif Let's hug it out, bitches. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Blarg
11-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I used to work in a workers' comp firm.

You cannot pursue workers' compensation once you have been fired. By then, it's too bad.

Employees very often find themselves mysteriously downsized, transferred to offices that are very very long drives away, etc., after they come down with ailments. They suddenly find themselves accused of stealing, tardiness, incompetence, inability to complete work in a timely maner, or some sort of fraud. They find their work evaluations go from A+ to F- overnight, without any change in their work performance to prompt it.

And believe it or not, many seemingly responsible companies let their workers' comp insurance expire or don't even have it, contrary to law. When that happens, you get dumped in with the state's responsibilities, and you can imagine the hassles the state gives you when paying. Or, probably, you can't.

Be alert to any warning signs. If anything bad happens, you might not see it coming anyway, but do your best to prepare. Think twice about new unnecessary purchases or debts. Consolidate the debts you have, if possible. Just clean up your finances. Start thinking about jobs that don't stress your hands as much. Try contrast baths for your hands; they work wonders to promote healing. Look into more ergonomic workplace set-ups, if you can do it without sending your employer into a panic. You might even want to think about training in relaxation, e.g., meditation, biofeedback, etc.

Don't assume any employer has your best interests or any concept of fairness at heart when it comes to money.

Good luck.

westside_eh
11-19-2005, 08:37 PM
You need a powerball: http://www.powerballs.com/

[ QUOTE ]
The perfect instrument to gently rehabilitate lower forearm and wrist joints affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, repetitive strain injury RSI, arthritis or previous breakage

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.powerballs.com/images/powerball_seg_aut/second_table/green_powerball2.jpg

Blarg
11-19-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all so very sad...

Now, listen to your Uncle Milo. If you are going to partner with a smart, but unmotivated man, you are going to need to make some changes.

1. Stop relying on your bf for your security.
2. Go to college/get a real career.
3. Play less, study more.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all good ideas. I'd just like to add that college doesn't mean all that much, if anything, any more, except to show that you've gone through college. It's not necessarily a money-maker, and can be a great expense that saddles you with a lot of debt without giving you much of a better way to make it back than if you hadn't gone.

Those are a bunch of maybes, though, that can be taken either way depending on your luck, your persistence and creativity in uncovering good jobs, the employment opportunities where you live, etc.

One certainty though is that if you want to go to college not to just say you have gone but to really improve your life, it helps to have a very concrete plan and a practical direction. A degree in, say, anthropology is probably going to mean jack in practical terms in your life, though it may saddle you with a lot of satisfaction in addition to the debt it saddles you with to acquire it. But a degree in something that tends to lead to a concrete job skill or two, or at least toes the line in the way businesses want you to by channeling yourself in the "appropriate" direction so they'll give you a chance, helps one hell of a lot more. There are different ways of going to college, and these days, unless you come from money, doing it the practical way is by far the best use of your time and money. A college degree by itself doesn't mean much of anything anymore and has lost whatever magical cachet it might once have had. The right kind of college degree, though, can still improve your life in a way that goes beyond one's surely estimable but ultimately completely unmarketable soul.

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The right kind of college degree, though, can still improve your life in a way that goes beyond one's surely estimable but ultimately completely unmarketable soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the greatest sentences ever written in OOT.

He's right, you know. I have a rather undistinguished history degree from the University of Texas. The difference I noticed in trying to get a job with and without said degree was essentially negligible. So, I started playing cards, and... well. Point is - if you don't want to enter academia, and you don't want to get one of the more "practical" degrees, you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle by just going to the library a lot.

sublime
11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
this isn't me,

thank god

34TheTruth34
11-20-2005, 02:09 AM
this probably won't be any help, but have you tried one of those metal bracelet things? My understanding is that for some people they do absolutely nothing, but for others, they are like some magic panacea for all aches and pains in the arms, wrists, back, etc. It sounds silly to base any kind of serious hope on a stupid bracelet, but who knows, it just may work. either way, hope everything works out for ya.

The Yugoslavian
11-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Lol.

I played a chess game at the US Amateur MidWest a few years ago vs. some dude with one of those.

Easy pushover.

I bet it didn't help with the pain of defeat.....

My team ended up pwning the field too despite a 200 rating disparity with the top teams.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure those don't do jack.

Yugoslav

ChipWrecked
11-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Are you good with Photoshop? When I lived in Atl I knew a couple of people who worked freelance doing photo restoration, and they made pretty good money at it.

Also, if your boyfriend has been with you seven years and he hasn't busted out a ring, it's time to kick his sorry ass to the curb... I mean unless you're OK with that.

gorie
11-20-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if your boyfriend has been with you seven years and he hasn't busted out a ring, it's time to kick his sorry ass to the curb... I mean unless you're OK with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

marriage is scary, so i am ok with that. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11-20-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's right, you know. I have a rather undistinguished history degree from the University of Texas. The difference I noticed in trying to get a job with and without said degree was essentially negligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this entirely. If you want a job that pays a lot of money, you do need the right degree. But there are plenty of jobs that pay more than no degree that just require some degree.

I have a friend with a geography degree from Southwest Texas (read "Party School Central"). He now works for Microsoft and makes good money. Yes, he developed computer skills himself. But he would have gotten the job he has without a degree.