PDA

View Full Version : The Farmers and The Foxes

Admania
06-28-2003, 05:02 PM
As a relative newcomer to the world of online poker, can any of you more experienced players give me some tips in mid to late tournament play. My game seems intuitively to be more of a farmer rather than the wily blind stealing fox. However I know I need to change so I can get through what is described as "The Wall". Is someone could reply I would be most grateful please???
Cheers
Adam

Magician
06-28-2003, 08:14 PM
I've found that observation pays off. Often my decision to steal is based on whether I've seen a particular player snap back at blind steals or generally surrender his blind without a fight.

Some players will go to great lengths to re-steal and even move in on the flop and turn with what later turns out to have been a not so premium hand.

On the other hand, some players will almost always fold and when they play back you can be pretty sure they have a hand.

Another thing I look at is stack size. I prefer not to steal from a big stack with rags because it's easy for them to pop back at me. Same for small stacks, because in desperation they may be more likely to call me.

If you're called on your steal attempt, you have another decision to make on the flop. Do you bet out on the flop, hoping to take the pot right there? If called, do you bet out again on the turn, again hoping to win it there?

You can see how a steal attempt gone bad can easily lead to loss of a big chunk if not all of your stack, especially if you catch a piece of the flop and/or you try to chase.

Generally with a big stack I am more likely to attempt a steal, as the lost chips mean less to me if I'm caught, and if I have a short stack I am less likely to do it, as getting caught could cripple me.