PDA

View Full Version : To raise or not to raise??

Whitey
06-28-2003, 03:18 PM
About an hour into a PLHE tourney,blinds are at 100/200,I have about 6000 in chips,leader is on about 14000(not on my table),average is about 6000,I am about 20th of 50 odd players and I'm in the BB with... A /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

Folded to middle postion(he has about 8000) who raises to 600,I reraise the pot,he calls(everyone else has folded) and the flop comes A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Now I have a reasonable read on this player,knowing he will raise with any pair or A with a strong kicker,my question is should I bet,and if so what??

BB King's
06-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Bet the pot !!!

Whitey
06-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Sorry I guess you miised my point with lack of info.Betting the pot is exactly what I did and he folded.
I was thinking i was too aggressive with top pair top kicker and nut flush draw.what u think??

PlanoPoker
06-29-2003, 03:32 PM
You really don't want to bet the pot here, unless you are in a situation where it looks like you've been stealing and he is ready to call you with any ace. Betting the pot is going to make him fold many good hands that don't have a big diamond in them. You want to play it small, saying "I don't have diamonds, but I am still betting my hand for its value." He will play an ace there, maybe even smell weakness and try to represent diamonds.

Rickfish
06-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Let's see 100+200+600+400+1300+1300=3900 in pot, you have 4100 and he has 6100. It is a big pot to mess around with and I don't think you have made a big mistake by taking it down. If it was a cash game I'd definitely try for the check-raise but here I can take the pot and have 8000 which is respectable. You risk being knocked out to gain another 4100. I quite like a check here which would suggest KK without Kd - oppo will presumably bet with an ace or try to represent one or perhaps bet with a big pair including a diamond. But if you leave it to him to make the bet it will almost certainly be an all in coup and we are risking a bad beat. So in the interests of making sure I stay in the competition I think I would be the pot too.