PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issues..

bluef0x
11-18-2005, 07:19 PM
My GF got a new compaq laptop pretty recently from Costco. It's worked fine until now and there are a few problems...

First, She uses a mx510 I bought her... but when you unplug it from the USB windows automatically shutsdown and reboots. It's kind of a loose port so it can happen on accident quite easily.

Second, there are three buttons near the power button for decreasing, increasing, and muting the volume. If you use those the computer will sort-of freeze. You can still move the mouse cursor and ctrl-alt-delete but most programs stop respond and the "clicks" dont register at all- so you're forced to restart. Sometimes when you play music you can't do anything until the song finishes.

Anyone have any ideas? I've reformatted and it didn't fix anything.. Thanks.

Freakin
11-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Take it back to costco and get a BRAND NEW laptop.

I think they give you like 6 months to a year on them now (it used to be forever)

bluef0x
11-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Well I forgot to mention I dropped it down some concrete stairs...

just kidding, but what do you need to do to return it? I'm not sure if we have receipts or anything because she got it for free paid for by a social agency.

Freakin
11-18-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I forgot to mention I dropped it down some concrete stairs...

just kidding, but what do you need to do to return it? I'm not sure if we have receipts or anything because she got it for free paid for by a social agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

You take it in, say "I bought this X months ago and now it won't work. I've tried everything. Can I exchagne it?". Last time I talked to someone that did this, no receipts were required. Costco has a VERY lenient return policy. I brought back a VCR after 14 months or so with no box or remote control and exchanged it for a newer model.

They've tightened up on their laptop returns, but I think the only restriction was time from the purchase.

If I were you, I'd play a dumb computer user instead of a smart one. You could say "I had my computer-smart friend try to fix it..." or something like that. Or just have your girl go in to exchange it and have her play dumb.

Freakin