PDA

View Full Version : Sweet chess run

J_V
11-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days, so I decided to play some chess, to invite justice back into my life.

I was only barely expert strength in my playing days, and much worse now, but I logged onto my friends ICC who has a 5 minute rating of 2200+ (highest in the world is 2600). 2200 is super strong in 5 minute and probabbly around 2400 strength USCF. So I get in there and beat a few 2100's 5 minute guys, and next thing you know I am playing 4 IM's and 2 GM's in a row. In the next 11 games I went something like 7-2-2. I ended up with 3 or 4 victories against strong IM's and a draw against GM Christiansen (had help from a friend in that game though) where i choked away a rook an pawn ending up two pawns, both connected and passed on the 6th and allowed a draw. That was for sure my best chess run ever. I'm sure nobody cares, but I'd thought I brag anyway. My apologies to the few superstar chess players on this forum who would see this as a normal day's work (i.e. curtains). If i could find the games in my library still, I would have posted my favorite games, but alas I can't.

TheWorstPlayer
11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Congrats. Sorry on the other stuff, too.

Jeffage
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope everything is ok with you...I appreciate your posts and insight over the years and hope the 100 large isn't horrendously crushing for you financially now (I know you've done very well over the years). Poker can be very brutal in the short run (which of course is why it's easy to win or lose 10k in a day at cards and you won't find that kinda action at chess unless your opponent has you by the balls). Good luck man.

Jeff

J_V
11-18-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your posts and insight over the years

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

Luckily these four weeks were preceeded by my best ten days ever, so I was following the Ray Zee model -if you are running well play higher.

So much for the stereotype that the old white-haired man knows best. He just says that because he's waiting at the top for E-Zee money.

11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So I get in there and beat a few 2100's 5 minute guys, and next thing you know I am playing 4 IM's and 2 GM's in a row. In the next 11 games I went something like 7-2-2. I ended up with 3 or 4 victories against strong IM's and a draw against GM Christiansen (had help from a friend in that game though) where i choked away a rook an pawn ending up two pawns, both connected and passed on the 6th and allowed a draw. That was for sure my best chess run ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome! Lucky! From a fellow woodpusher, congrats. Sorry about your roll :S

PS - can't believe you blew that endgame.

ScottieK

obi---one
11-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Wish i was good enough to give you a challenge JV.

J.A.Sucker
11-18-2005, 09:33 PM
You did the right thing, JV. Too bad it didn't work out, but I'm sure you still have some money from your good run squirrelled under your mattress. I'm also sorry I don't play chess, otherwise, I'd like to let you take me behind the woodshed. Better luck is in your future, my friend.

checkmate36
11-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Im a new poster on this site and would like to say Im sorry to hear about your loss at the poker table.

Regarding chess, I know enough about the game (1500 USCF) to be impressed with your run you had with the blitz games. Nice job. Your obviously gifted with a good mind.

Was that Larry Christianson you beat?

Lucky
11-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Just curious if the chess guys play for money. I'm imagining if they are as dedicated as poker players but make no cash the wives and girlfriends might not be so understanding of the time thing.

Dynasty
11-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Larry Christiansen is somebody I've dealt with a few times back in my Boston chess playing days. His reputation as a blitz player is considerably stronger than his regular playing reputation (which is obviously GM great).

Those in New England may be familiar with William Kelleher, a very strong ~2400 player. He and Christiansen are good friends. Kelleher is also a better blitz player than normal player. When the two play together, I believe the norm is for Christiansen to spot Kelleher at least a pawn and Christiansen is still the favorite.

So, just drawing Christiansen is astounding.

But, I wouldn't bet on you doing it twice. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For those interested, here is a game where Kelleher beats Super GM Michael Adams (often ranked in the top 10 in the world). Link to Game (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1014766)

NYplayer
11-19-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey buddy,
you've probably never heard of me before but we've also probably played together a bunch. I've lost over 100K from my high something like 4 times this year and it's always painful. You seem to be a talented player so i'm sure you'll have it back soon. Generally these losses come from playing the highest stakes and i know that my game has improved a lot from playing at that level. a few day break is a good thing and remember, loses like these make the -10K days much easier to take.

checkmate36
11-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the link to that game. 16.Bxc7!

Watching those games makes me realize I should not drink so much alcohol. My brain always hurts after reviewing them. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GOODBEATGUY2001
11-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanx for the link, Dynasty. It's astounding that a atrong GM, a world top 10 at that, can make such an obvious blunder. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

fsuplayer
11-19-2005, 12:13 PM
what type of stakes was that in JV?

the 3/6 crypto game?

whiskeytown
11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I haven't played chess in years. I remember being better then the average kid my age at 7 yrs old, but this was Montana and small town California, not NYC - /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would be very curious to see what my skill level is now, especially now that I've sorta taken on aggression over defense in much of my life - I'm sure it'd affect my game - all my standard defensive openings would be kaput.

nice job.

RB

J_V
11-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that it's possible to come out of these swoons. Taking a break has always been natural for me, just as a measure to stop the bleeding and mentally getting a starting over point. I think its important that if I win back 10k that I'm looking at it as being 10k from a certain point, rather than 90k down from a certain point. That helps me stay focused on playing well and nothing else.

J_V
11-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been dabbling back in chess lately - and I know this is off topic, but what's the deal with the current World Championship. Is Topalov considered the champ right now? And is the Kramnik-Topalov match ever going to happen?

chessforlife
11-19-2005, 03:11 PM
(highest in the world is 2600)

highest is 2800.

but good run though. i quit after i hit 2000 USCF. now my online rating cant break 1850. and that's on a good day. a bit sad, but enough to beat all on my aircraft carrier! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

checkmate36
11-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Its funny to see a player not happy with 1850 rating. 1850 is very good player. I made it all the way to 1495 and then I found poker.

You guys with the higher rating ever made any loot with chess? I bet your poker earnings are far higher than chess.

Masquerade
11-19-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(highest in the world is 2600)

highest is 2800.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about the special "5-min" ratings on ICC and the highest is indeed 2600-something.

MicroBob
11-19-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've lost over 100K from my high something like 4 times this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Golly.

To the original topic:
I was hooked on ICC for quite some time. Mostly the 1-minute bullet ('video-game-chess' as I called it).
Good times.

I have since given it up (and let my membership expire last year) for poker.
I enjoy chess more...but poker is more profitable (except when one is in a downswing of course).

I'm only 1600 or so at bullet-chess on ICC but I remember some of my big wins over 2400 and higher rated players.

Would love to get back into chess some if/when I build my poker-bankroll to a more comfortable level.
As it stands now, I would feel guilty playing chess...because it would take away from the time I need to spending making money at poker (either playing or studying).

Dynasty
11-19-2005, 10:09 PM
J_V,

You should consider combining chess and poker. The North American (Chess) Open (http://www.chesstour.com/nao05.htm) is being held at Bally's in Las Vegas from December 26th to the 29th. About 500 players showed up last year.

David Ottosen
11-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Thats a very nice run - sometimes coming back to chess after a good while off sharpens your game up nicely. I played a tournament here in Costa Rica for the first time since moving here 2.5 years ago, and was quite happy with my performance, gaining 20 FIDE rating points.

AND, I once beat curtain's sister in a blitz game online. So ha.

David Ottosen
11-19-2005, 10:58 PM
The last report on Chessbase indicated that Kramnik's group had made a substantial offer, but that Topalov turned it down. I wouldn't bet on any unification match occurring any time soon.

ZeeJustin
11-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Somewhere out there, there are a few guys saying, "man, I went on a sick chess run. I have a 1500 rating, but I jumped on my friends account who is rated 2400 and drew against some guy with a 2200 rating!!"

Etc.

KaneKungFu123
11-20-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats a very nice run - sometimes coming back to chess after a good while off sharpens your game up nicely. I played a tournament here in Costa Rica for the first time since moving here 2.5 years ago, and was quite happy with my performance, gaining 20 FIDE rating points.

AND, I once beat curtain's sister in a blitz game online. So ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to love chess tournaments when i was younger. id like to go back to another one sometime. i love the really nice pieces and sound of the clocks ticking. chess is awesome although poker is better because its less structured. Playing against someone better then you or worse then you is no fun. Its best when you play someone at your skill level.

Paluka
11-20-2005, 04:29 AM
I went on a sick Magic run last weekend, but not quite sick enough.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpphi05/welcome

I'm terrible at chess. Any of you guys play scrabble?

J_V
11-20-2005, 05:31 AM
I remember a few games you've posted and I've really enjoyed them. Some of the games I won were borderline gimmicky Grand Prix Attack Games (theoretically only equal for white) but still interesting in blitz. If I have the time tomorrow I'll post them, and hopefully reciprocate the favor for chess fans.

11-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Unless you're a GM / super-GM, you can't make much money playing chess for a living. I think that's why most of them write books, give lessons, or give lectures. I think most GM's even have regular jobs. Famous GMs like Kasparov and Kramnik can play computers for money. Class prizes at tournaments are either 1) small, 2) for a really large field and are spread out over several places, or 3) both 1 and 2.

I'm 1800 USCF and my biggest payday was $750 at NA Open five or six years back when I placed somewhere in the U1800. I won an amazing $200 a few years ago for winning our state championship (my highlight tourney, went 4.5/5 scalped a former master, an expert, two 1900's and drew a 2100.) Overall, I've probably won $1200 or so over thirteen years of competitive chess.

My biggest poker payday was $5K for placing second in a Paradise tourney (the payouts were stacked for places 1-5 only.) I can usually make $200 in a week of playing 3-6 or 4-8. So yeah, poker's more lucrative by far. That's why all my chess friends gave up chess for poker.

ScottieK

ChipWrecked
11-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm a 40+ chess neophyte. I like to think chess would give me a little different perspective on poker strategy.

Building some new networks in the old bean can never be wrong.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll play you in magic if you like!