PDA

View Full Version : Made money again but...

Vincent Lepore
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Long and of interest to me: A lot of you might not be interested in this. There isn't much value in it but it does deal with a WSOP Circuit event and I believe this is the forum for it. It's long so don't bother yourself if you've got soemthing better to do.

Played the Bally's WSOP second chance again last night. $225 buy in. 165 entry's. Paid 18 places.

I started out by picking up A,A in the blind on the first round, blinds 25-25. Late position raiser made it T250. I raised to T500. He tought for a minute turned over his J,J and folded. I thought that maybe I should have just smoothcalled. Oh, well I was the chip leader at the table. That statuse I held until the break when the blinds were 50-100. At the break I had T6000. I flopped 2 sets got paid off ok on both and had won some other small pots. Right after the break I was, blinds 100-200, I was the big blind. UTG made it T550 all-in. Folded to me I called with 97s and lost to his 5,5. That may be the only hand that I lost until we were in the money. That should tell you something. I may not have lost another hand beofre the money but it's because I basically let myself get blinded off until the bubble. When we got to the bubble the blinds were T300-600 with 100 antes. My stack had dwindled to T2700. I was on the button. It was folded to me. There were 2 stacks smaller than me. The big blind was another Vegas local that I know fairly well. He plays ok but is a little tight (I should talk). I look down and see Ah,3h. I thought for a minute of folding but raised all-in. The BB thought for a long time. He had me more than covered but in the end he threw away his hand K,Q he said. Another plaer went out the next hand and we were all in the money.

I had about 5k, blinds were now 4-800 with 200 antes. I could not find a place to put all of my chips in until the small blind when I had just T1200 behind. I bravely and probably foolishly put my last 1200 in with 2,4o believing I might have 2 live cards and that the pot was big enough and I only had to win against one player. The bb had A,2 and I was out 15th.

I have played 3 events at this WSOP Circuit Event. One 330 buy-in regular tourney and 2 $225 second chance tourney's. I finished in the money in all three events with a 6th place finish in the first 2nd chance I played. Total buy-ins $880. Total win $2804.

What's wrong with this picture? On the surface it looks ok. 3 entries 3 times in the money. The first problem is that the fields in these tourneys are very weak. A lot of the players are so obviously new to the game that it's as if they do not know that Aces beat Kings. They broadcast their hands and for the most part the play is ..well.. horrible. Anyeone that plays poker using Sklansky and Malmuth poker strategy and concepts and has just a little bit of tournament experience should expect to make the money 30-40% of the time. They are almost gauranteed a +EV in these events. The problem is that thier chances of finishing in the top 3 will not reflect their the fact that they get to the money a lot. And the top 3 is where the money is. Winning just one as has been stated before makes up for about 20 to 30 money finishes.

Yup, something more is needed to win. HoH has helped me but I'm not sure it's enough. I'm going to keep playing these small tourneys. I think I'm going to get more aggressive near the money and see if I pick up chips. I think that this is where my game is lacking. We'll see.

Vince

Beavis68
11-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Why did this get moved to NVG?

IT is about circuit MTTs. there was not point in moving this.

not only that, but it is the best thing Vince ever wrote - and on, that really is not a compliment.

dogmeat
11-18-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did this get moved to NVG?

IT is about circuit MTTs. there was not point in moving this.

not only that, but it is the best thing Vince ever wrote - and on, that really is not a compliment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe after all the crap SmoothVince has written, anything that comes out at this point is considered his own Views and Gossip - (such as his berating the entire field he played against at this circuit event).

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Randy_Refeld
11-18-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the best he has written, this is just classic Vince.

DesertCat
11-19-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bravely and probably foolishly put my last 1200 in with 2,4o believing I might have 2 live cards and that the pot was big enough and I only had to win against one player.

Smoothcall

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Phillips would never had made this mistake....

callmedonnie
11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
From you description it sounds like you played to finish in the money and not win, and so you shouldn't complain. Letting yourself get blinded off into the money is not something one who aims for first does. You still make money, but spot some weak players and use your position to squeeze some chips out of them.

bigfishead
11-19-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From you description it sounds like you played to finish in the money and not win, and so you shouldn't complain. Letting yourself get blinded off into the money is not something one who aims for first does. You still make money, but spot some weak players and use your position to squeeze some chips out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I wasnt there to see every hand I tend to disagree with this thought process. *hint hint*.

With these weaker players it often does come down to showing the best hand at the river. They dont lay down. Ask DN. Ask Annie, etc. Long time wsop pros that have gotten busted out trying to run over weakies.

Also one of the things that often deos happen to "blind you off" is POSITION. Maybe we cant come in with a raise because we have EP with large stacks in the Blinds that dont fold often enuf, or LP and we're already facing a raise. These things reflect "Gap concepts" but also the "other players".

Just a thought.