PDA

View Full Version : Would You Hire Them?

04-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Stumbled across this website while looking at a couple law firm websites. Would you hire these folks. I probably would. Responses from non-lawyers preferable.

04-17-2002, 02:15 AM
In the 70's I managed a pool hall. We had many lawyers as patrons. One of them spent so much time at the bar, he had an extension to his office phone installed there. If the lawyer wan't there when the phone rang at least three times(seldom happened), the barkeep could pick it up, answer "Law Offices," take a message and receive a $2 tip. Drunks at the bar would often become more befuddled when they heard the bartender, usually a broke pool player trying to get back on his feet, pick up the phone and say, "Law Offices. No Ma'am, I don't know when your court appearance is. Yes Ma'am, I'll give him the message. Goodbye." I often wondered what happened to that lawyer. The newspapers reported his dead a year after his disbarrment, but apparently he underwent a sex change operation and moved to Denver.

As to hiring that firm, if I needed them to do something requiring imagination, yes; otherwise no.

04-17-2002, 04:03 AM
Hmmm...

I'm a college graduate, thinking about heading into law....probably patent law. Thankfully, I've never needed a lawyer, so I can't really say what I'd look for.

But these guys...they are clearly trying to seperate themselves from the rest of the lawyers out there, and I give them kudos for that. But I think that they may have gone overboard.

I'd likely look elsewhere first.

Josh

04-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Will end up at that firm in Denver. Might be a good fit.

Thinking about it more, I don't know if I'd hire them. But my standards tend to be low because I see so many attorneys. Ones who obviously have some intelligence are way ahead. I don't know exactly what to think of the website. I'd never do it, but I like it in a way.

04-18-2002, 12:10 AM
I know you said no lawyers, but: the website is a spoof. It is well known among law students, especially around recruiting time when they have to research law firms. Inevitably, someone stumbles upon this "firm" - hahaha, everyone has a good laugh, especially when the person who found it did not recognize it as a joke.

- oski

04-18-2002, 01:47 PM
The telephone number appears to be legitimate, with a receptionist answering "Powers-Phillips."

The firm has an entry in Martindale-Hubbell, listing the "attorneys" featured on the web site. IIRC, Martindale-Hubbell entries are paid for.

That's a lot of expense to go through for a spoof.

Mike

04-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I checked their phone number. It is harder to get good even phone numbers like theirs in Denver now too. I found their website when it was referenced in some Denver Bar Association stuff I came across. I don't think the DBA was involved in any hoax. I practiced some in Denver but never came across these lawyers; I don't know them. But the Phillips name was familiar somehow though.

04-18-2002, 05:30 PM
This disclaimer is posted at the bottom of the page:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: HOW TO TELL IF YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT

This homepage is intended to be a joke. Other parts of this website are also intended to be jokes. However, as a public service to enable our readers to determine whether or not they are complete idiots, we have also included a bunch of boring, serious material without a joke in sight. If you can tell the difference, you are not a complete idiot. Just to show we are not totally heartless, we will give you a little hint to help you with this test: if your eyes start to glaze over, it’s the serious, boring stuff. Good luck.

04-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Yes, I saw that. But the posts above were talking about whether the firm existed at all. It exists.

04-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Misunderstood the conversation..

I think it's a pretty unique way to generate awareness, but not sure if I'd hire em..