PDA

View Full Version : need strategy advise for particular tournament structure

jaydoggie
06-28-2003, 12:29 AM
NL live tournament.
blinds start 10/20
start with T500.
unlimited rebuys $5/$10 first hour.

for the first hour the tournament is nuts. people will call all in with nothing, over cards, runner runner draws, and when they miss "REBUY!". After the first hour, blinds are 100/200 and quickly move up!

My best strategy at the moment is wait for a Group 1 hand, or a strong Group 2 hand, move all in hope I get called and double up. If I lose early, I rebuy upto twice to test my luck in doubling up.

If you don't gain ALOT of chips in the first hour the blinds start doubling fast and it's really hard to keep up in the later rounds.

so lets start a thread and discuss this type of structure /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

jaydoggie
06-29-2003, 06:42 AM
someone has got to have some advice?

Rickfish
06-29-2003, 08:09 AM
"My best strategy at the moment is wait for a Group 1 hand, or a strong Group 2 hand, move all in hope I get called and double up."

I think this is too conservative. The more observant players will fold to your all-ins and you might only pick up 30 chips for your 500 all-in. At these levels of blinds I would raise 100 or 200 depending how many limpers. Then probably bet all-in on the flop. I would also try to limp in (or raise) quite often with marginal hands.

Some players gamble like hell in the first 20 minutes to try to win a big pot. Once they win one they stop gambling. It seems to work for them but it is an expensive strategy. Personally I prefer to wait and see - I might pick up some good hands and win pots against the gamblers. If I haven't progressed by the last 20 minutes then I will do a bit of selective gambling myself.

PlanoPoker
06-29-2003, 01:34 PM
That chip/blind structure is terrible. After the first hour the result is pure gambling. At 100/200 blinds you are going to want at least 4x your original buy-in to have any sort of betting capacity. If you don't start the tournament off right and accumulate other people's stacks I might not be inclined to rebuy myself. If you don't have a big stack going into the later rounds your chances are slim.

jaydoggie
06-29-2003, 02:24 PM
so is a tournament like this not profitable? every week it is 76 players. and 1st place pays around $1000, i believe it pays the top 9.