PDA

View Full Version : I have destroyed some lands this weekend

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Paluka loses (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpphi05/welcome)
Game recap (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpphi05/welcome#4)

"I have never won in the finals of a Grand Prix. I lost two of them back to back - Kansas City and DC," sighed Pikula.

Chris tried Gerard's Verdict - "You are getting some good ones." - and nabbed Siege-Gang and another Piledriver. Cursed Scroll punctuated his turn. Jon used Wasteland on Chris' Scrubland and played another Piledriver. Cursed Scroll one of the Piledrivers naming Duress.

Hahahahhahahahhaaha

"It's cool now if I lose I can complain, 'I lost to some guy who just didn't attack with Piledriver.'"

Wow, match is still going and he's looking to make excuses already!

Is it just me, or is Paluka never going to make it into the Magic Hall of Fame with this kind of defeatist attitude?

Paluka, be a closer, not a loser.

elmo
11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
congrats on the gp chris

sfer
11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
I want Paluka to challenge high-limit pros to HU Magic matches when they suck out on him.

chuddo
11-18-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/images/gpdetr05/t8_berkowitz.jpg

MikeNaked
11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, Paluka is a winner in one respect. His deckname "Rogue Deadguy" is homage to the best brewer in the US and is waaaaaay cooler than simply "Goblins." Pfff....

scott8
11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Jon had Goblin Ringleader into Goblin Warchief on the next turn and attacked for a gaudy fifteen under the Engineered Plague. Chris shook his head, "I can't believe I lost this game with Engineered Plague in play and won the one without it."

Tell me about it.

Paluka
11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats on the gp chris

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks man.

daryn
11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jon had Goblin Ringleader into Goblin Warchief on the next turn and attacked for a gaudy fifteen under the Engineered Plague. Chris shook his head, "I can't believe I lost this game with Engineered Plague in play and won the one without it."

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, paluka = the hellmuth of magic?

Paluka
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch! the hellmuth of magic is actually some dude named Mike Dove. It is hard not to punch him in the face.

JaBlue
11-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Is there actually any skill involved in magic? It seems like it would be very easy to always find the optimal play and you can always copy someone else's deck

Paluka
11-18-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there actually any skill involved in magic? It seems like it would be very easy to always find the optimal play and you can always copy someone else's deck

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any skill in poker? seems like it just the cards you get dealt.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The average pro tour has like 350 people in it. At one point the same guy won like 4 out of 6. I guess he was just one lucky dude.

vulturesrow
11-18-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I hate it when this happens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The average pro tour has like 350 people in it. At one point the same guy won like 4 out of 6. I guess he was just one lucky dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?

asofel
11-18-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kai?

Paluka
11-18-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had the same thought as soon as I finished posting.

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Sonne - who grinned when he heard about Chris' track record - liked his chances.

imported_anacardo
11-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone else, anyone else at all, would rate a very stern reprimand, at the least, for quoting "Rounders" in OOT.

WHERE IS EQUALITY BEFORE THE LAW?!

AM I BUT DUST ON THE GROUND YOU TREAD?!

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Paluka,

"I have destroyed some lands this weekend," said Chris

Is that Magic trash-talking?

CollinEstes
11-18-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Paluka is a winner in one respect. His deckname "Rogue Deadguy" is homage to the best brewer in the US and is waaaaaay cooler than simply "Goblins." Pfff....

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you think so?

It isn't even the best Rogue brew much less the best in the country.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It's cool now if I lose I can complain, 'I lost to some guy who just didn't attack with Piledriver.'"

Wow, match is still going and he's looking to make excuses already!

Is it just me, or is Paluka never going to make it into the Magic Hall of Fame with this kind of defeatist attitude?

Paluka, be a closer, not a loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to put things in perspective, not attacking with piledriver there is the equivelent of checking behind on the river in limit holdem when you have the nuts.

Also, Sonne is a world class player, so seeing him make a mistake like this is pretty rare. Chris was just bantering w/ him.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's more like the Amarillo slim of Magic. He quit a looong time ago.

asofel
11-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

angle shooter?

btw, was that right with kai, or was it finkel back in the day.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kai?

[/ QUOTE ]

obv.

daryn
11-18-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else, anyone else at all, would rate a very stern reprimand, at the least, for quoting "Rounders" in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been meaning to talk about this for a long time.

way back when OOT was REAL GOLD, this "NO POKER" thing didn't really exist. in my opinion it got blown out of proportion by the influx of retards around the time of OOT's first decline in quality. nowadays you mention poker and everyone is like OMG WTF NO POKER LOL!

gay

NotMitch
11-18-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch! the hellmuth of magic is actually some dude named Mike Dove. It is hard not to punch him in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really enjoy the fact that there is a Phil Hellmuth of Magic.

edit: I also hope the is someone like that in competitive Scrabble, because that seems like it would be very funny.

asofel
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
haven't been involved in a while and wasn't sure if finkel had any runs like that. kai's hit over 300k from magic right?

Shajen
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

way back when OOT was REAL GOLD, this "NO POKER" thing didn't really exist. in my opinion it got blown out of proportion by the influx of retards around the time of OOT's first decline in quality. nowadays you mention poker and everyone is like OMG WTF NO POKER LOL!

gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Darynisright.

imported_anacardo
11-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh, it's cool. I just like to scream and shake my fist at the sky.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haven't been involved in a while and wasn't sure if finkel had any runs like that. kai's hit over 300k from magic right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that. Kai's the all-time leading money winner. Finkel was better, but not as lucky [on Sundays] or dedicated.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of deck building, Magic is more of a team sport, but coming up with the optimal deck is pretty close to optimal.

In terms of play, even the best players in the world don't play perfectly.

It takes less time to reach the long-run in magic than it does in poker. The variance is significantly lower.

durron597
11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It takes less time to reach the long-run in magic than it does in poker. The variance is significantly lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is probably the second biggest reason there are less fish.

daryn is right
11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Darynisright.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better believe it!

SmileyEH
11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumour has it that Paluka lost to MacdaddyWarsaw when my boy was only a kid back in Brooklyn. Enormous tilt ensued. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH

chuddo
11-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but coming up with the optimal deck is pretty close to optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to college.

RunDownHouse
11-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So it doesn't look good for Paluka taking that 1st place?

housenuts
11-18-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In terms of deck building, Magic is more of a team sport, but coming up with the optimal deck is pretty close to optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

where does the team play come into effect? for a pro are they able to acquire any card magic has made or are some cards extremely rare and nearly impossible to come across yet very powerful.

razor
11-18-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I can't believe I lost this game with Engineered Plague in play and won the one without it."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no [censored] clue what this means, but I can help but think that's a good thing.

Paluka
11-18-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where does the team play come into effect? for a pro are they able to acquire any card magic has made or are some cards extremely rare and nearly impossible to come across yet very powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

The team aspect is that groups of people get together in the weeks leading up to a tourney to playtest and design decks. Card availibility isn't a factor in the real tourneys.

citanul
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
some cards are very rare, but my understanding is that tournament magic these days only allows you to use recently printed cards, so while rare, they aren't hideously rare. of course, the wonder of it is that to continue to play high end tournaments you must at all times continue buying new cards.

c

Paluka
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some cards are very rare, but my understanding is that tournament magic these days only allows you to use recently printed cards, so while rare, they aren't hideously rare. of course, the wonder of it is that to continue to play high end tournaments you must at all times continue buying new cards.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying all the cards you need every year as they come out costs less than $2000 probably. Overall not a very expensive hobby.

B Dids
11-18-2005, 04:53 PM
For you yes, for 13 year olds no.

Paluka IMed me about this saying "did you see what I did" and I responded "made a post in mid-high?"

Congrats!

CD56
11-18-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

the most commonly run tourneys do allow only the most recently printed cards, this helps keep the cost to the average player down as well as demand for new cards high
(but the deck that beat paluka and won the tourney could probably be put together for like $100)

however the tourney just played where paluka finished 2nd allowed almost all of the cards from the beginning of magic in 93 except for some of the more extremely overpowered (and in many cases expensive) cards

it was because this tourney allowed these older cards that some of the older players played.

Duke
11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my understanding is that tournament magic these days only allows you to use recently printed cards

[/ QUOTE ]

I was confused by one of the guys using 4 Meddling Mages, for this very reason.

That's what I get for trying to figure something out that I have never played.

~D

Duke
11-18-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it was because this tourney allowed these older cards that some of the older players played.

[/ QUOTE ]

That answers my question!

~D

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brainfart. The second optimal should be impossible. Are there college courses I can enlist in to avoid mistakes like this?

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are like 6,000 cards. You need to put 60 of those together to come up with a deck. There is no best card that will go in every deck. Decks need syngergy, and they need to be able to win against the other popular decks.

There's often a rock scissors paper type thing. Deck A beats deck B. Deck B beats deck C. Deck C beats deck A.
You need to find a deck D that can beat 2 of those 3 decks to have an edge. This is not an easy task. It's also a lot more complicated than I'm making it out to be.

scott8
11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brainfart. The second optimal should be impossible. Are there college courses I can enlist in to avoid mistakes like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

English.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to college.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

English.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a grammatical error. It was a freudian slip. At the time I was trying to type the word "impossible", I was thinking of the word, "optimal", so I typed the word "optimal" by mistake.

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm (http://pokerworks.com/amarillo-slim.html)

11-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Dear god, you still play?? Good job Chris. HOF '06

Gary

Dominic
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Excuse me, Oh Masked One, but what language were you using in this post??

astroglide
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his brother bob was almost as bad

mike dove was flipping over every card on the top of it once after i beat him. "see? i could have beaten you if i drew this. OR THIS. OR THIS. OR THIS." and then threw the whole deck at me and walked away.

Glenn
"It wasn't a grammatical error. It was a freudian slip. "

psychology too...

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 05:42 PM
"C'mon Sonne! SONNE! SONNE!" chanted Antonino DeRosa from somewhere behind the crowded rail. Chris made a pouty face

offTopic
11-18-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"C'mon Sonne! SONNE! SONNE!" chanted Antonino DeRosa from somewhere behind the crowded rail. Chris made a pouty face

[/ QUOTE ]

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I can't believe I lost this game with Engineered Plague in play and won the one without it."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no [censored] clue what this means, but I can help but think that's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

'I can't believe i lost with pocket aces, then beat pocket aces'

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'I can't believe i lost with pocket aces, then beat pocket aces'

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analogy.

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm (http://pokerworks.com/amarillo-slim.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they both quit and came back from the dead to start playing again.

elmo
11-18-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to put things in perspective, not attacking with piledriver there is the equivelent of checking behind on the river in limit holdem when you have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was half way through writing this post when I decided it wasn't accurate. It more like not putting him all-in for his last $5 with the nuts on the river in 30/60.

11-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Is this "Paluka" thing an inside joke? I'm not understanding it, if anyone would care to explain..

34TheTruth34
11-18-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

at least you weren't the guy who lost to a beserked, cranial plated ornothopter. that woulda sucked...

11-19-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty ZJ

mason55
11-19-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Darynisright.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better believe it!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG YOU ARE BACK /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

ClaytonN
11-19-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"C'mon Sonne! SONNE! SONNE!" chanted Antonino DeRosa from somewhere behind the crowded rail.
Chris made a pouty face

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/images/gpphi05/booboo.jpg

stinkypete
11-19-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to college.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

enlist: To engage (persons or a person) for service in the armed forces.

Lazymeatball
11-19-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Darynisright.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better believe it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this account

Schneids
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Holy cow I just read through those links and it's like another [censored] language. What are they saying?!?

Escape
11-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Congrats on your 2nd place finish. Awesome expression

Paluka
11-19-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow I just read through those links and it's like another [censored] language. What are they saying?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know how people feel when they hear you talking about poker.

Paluka
11-19-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on your 2nd place finish. Awesome expression

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks

JackWilson
11-19-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I hope you realize this is a very weird question to ask, coming from a poker player. Do people ever ask you if there's actually any skill in poker? Do you get annoyed?

A lot of the skills from Magic carry over to poker and vice versa, especially things like retrograde analysis (to determine the cards in a person's hand) and constantly assessing your chances of winning are, along with what cards you need to increase your chances etc since this affects the value of plays that are currently available to you.

However, one of the most significant skill sets in Magic, rules knowledge, has no equivalent in poker. The Magic rules can be fairly complicated and you have to have a really good understanding of how they work in order to train your mind to spot some of the more advanced plays. Don't get confused though, this is entirely different from the rules knowledge required to be a judge. A judge can be presented with a situation and make a ruling because he knows the rules well, a good player can spot that play in the first place. It's like a proactive vs reactive thing.

So to put it bluntly, yeah, you could say there is some skill involved in Magic. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, Congrats on your finish, old-timer!

Eurotrash
11-19-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, I just skimmed through the report of his match too. I actually dig how they matter-of-factly report all the stuff going on; it makes it funny for me in an "lol nerds" kind of way

xLukex
11-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Oh no! You're making me want to play again!

When I was in my mid-teens I played local tournaments. My friend and I would split the cards and build decks like every day. When we won (often, because we were dorks), we'd split the booster boxes and that was probably the most exciting time of my teenage years...until I got laid.

I quit when I was 16 or so. Ack I want to play again, but I'm already such a dork.

Ulysses
11-19-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Dungeons and Dragons card game. I figure the dungeon master did some smoting or something and then he ruled the land with goblins or demons or something.

durron597
11-19-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I quit when I was 16 or so. Ack I want to play again, but I'm already such a dork.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is like nicotine, once you quit you get cravings every so often.

My name is durron597, and I'm a M:TG survivor.

ZeeJustin
11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was half way through writing this post when I decided it wasn't accurate. It more like not putting him all-in for his last $5 with the nuts on the river in 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 is meaningless at 30/60. One damage, especially from that deck is huge. It's actually more than 5% of the entire game, but I don't want to get into magic game theory to explain why.

Eurotrash
11-19-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome expression

[/ QUOTE ]

MTG produces some wild expressions, or so i hear

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6522/nerd9rk.jpg

now ask yourself, does this look like the face of a guy who had his Mogg Fanatic countered with a Nantuko Shade, or what?

Ulysses
11-19-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 is meaningless at 30/60. One damage, especially from that deck is huge. It's actually more than 5% of the entire game, but I don't want to get into magic game theory to explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick non-theory question. Do you have to win one of these tournaments to get to be Dungeon Master, or does that rotate?

Paluka
11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quick non-theory question. Do you have to win one of these tournaments to get to be Dungeon Master, or does that rotate?

[/ QUOTE ]

With all your various skills, I can't believe you aren't a pro comic or big name tourney pro yet.

imported_anacardo
11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These, ladies and gentlemen, are the words of a man trying his damnedest to pretend that he's completely ignorant of a subject that he's far, far too cool to be publicly associated with.

Nerd. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These, ladies and gentlemen, are the words of a man trying his damnedest to pretend that he's completely ignorant of a subject that he's far, far too cool to be publicly associated with.

Nerd. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I know a lot about Magic now. I had never heard of this game until I started playing online poker. Now I have lots of poker buddies like Paluka, ZeeJustin, and others who have told me all about Magic, plus I play against a ton of Magic players.

It is true, however, that I do not know any of the rules or anything, so I do ask what are probably very basic questions, like who is the Dungeon Master, how many sides on the dice, what kind of robes they wear and stuff like that.

tdarko
11-19-2005, 07:05 PM
this was the single most confusing thread i have come across on 2+2, i understand more japanese than this.

who is the guy with the weird looking face that i keep seeing?

Paluka
11-19-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this was the single most confusing thread i have come across on 2+2, i understand more japanese than this.

who is the guy with the weird looking face that i keep seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pictures that aren't me are of WCOOP Champion and all-around huge douchebag Jordan Berkowitz.

BradleyT
11-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Do you get the other players cards when you win similar to playing marbles?

tdarko
11-19-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The pictures that aren't me are of WCOOP Champion and all-around huge douchebag Jordan Berkowitz.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahhhhhh, the guy blowing his winnings playing HU sng's.

Ulysses
11-19-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that in Pokemon you get to keep the cards. Magic is just a D&D version of Pokemon, so I imagine you keep the cards.

daryn
11-19-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i seem to remember that this is what is called playing for "ante"

there are some special cards that let you switch the predetermined ante card also.. that might be pretty old school though.

astroglide
11-19-2005, 07:23 PM
it used to be popular among hobbyists/newbies to cut a player's deck and play for a random card out of it. might still be the case now, but i haven't been in touch with magic for some time.

among the more serious, it was still fairly common to play for 'side ante' where you would agree upon a wager of cards (which have clear monetary value) for a match.

ilya
11-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Congrats Paluka. BTW based on the photos it looks like a cool crowd.

Senor Cardgage
11-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Congrats on the solid finish.

I just realized they have webcasts of a bunch of Magic tournaments logged online. Right now, I am watching some of them.

Such a nerd. /images/graemlins/frown.gif