PDA

View Full Version : CSI Miami: Bluetoothing?

SuitedSixes
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know when the episode originally ran, but it played on my DVR last night. Anyway, in this episode one of the CSI guys goes to a bar with his Bluetooth-capable Blackberry and uses it to troll for girls at the club with anonyous sex as the goal. It worked, and he lost his badge which was then used in a murder and ended up going to counselling after the DNA chick got suspended for entering a rape victim's DNA into the database, but that's not the point

Is this like most things on CSI complete fictional fabrication or a good reason for me to run out and get a Blackberry (because I don't have a badge, and as such really don't need to worry about losing it)?

astroglide
11-18-2005, 05:53 PM
i believe it was called 'toothing'. a rumored behavior in the uk, but i don't think it ever actually happened on any sort of scale.

SuitedSixes
11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe it was called 'toothing'. a rumored behavior in the uk, but i don't think it ever actually happened on any sort of scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn.

swede123
11-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. That's exactly my reaction everytime I look at your avatar.

astroglide
11-18-2005, 07:21 PM
toothing on google produces a lot of details

Freakin
11-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Bluejacking is the generic term, toothing may be sex-specific.

It involves setting a contact on your phone with the name of the message you want to send, then trolling for phones/pdas with bluetooth turned on and sending them the contact. The idea sounds about as likely to pick up chicks as honking a car horn...

Cry Me A River
11-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Toothing was revealed to be a hoax which later inspired a similar prank, "greenlighting". (People are suggestable, so doubtless people have tried 'toothing, but it's nothing resembling a real trend.)

Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothing)

Now dogging (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62718,00.html?tw=wn_story_related) on the other hand...

Mason Hellmuth
11-19-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Toothing was revealed to be a hoax

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty good at spotting hoaxes and urban legends, but this one actually got me. I guess if it's too awesome to be true...