PDA

View Full Version : The Bird Flu Pandemic

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Could happen, most likely will not. If the strain acquires better human-to-human transmission ability, we are in for a wild ride. Conservative worst-case puts the kill rate at 2% in the U.S., including a lot of healthy young adults.

There are currently about 25,000 available unoccupied ventilators in the U.S. Up to a million people would require ventilation, and several hundred thousand certainly would in an almost-worst-case scenario.

The best way to prevent the disease is to prevent people from congregating, especially children. The very first major public health step should be to close all schools and day cares immediately. There is no mechanism for doing that in many states, and the decision power when it is defined generally resides in each state. Presumably the President could order it nationwide, but he is a politician and singularly bad at these kinds of assessments. He will delay.

If schools and day cares are closed, huge numbers of nurses will not be able to go to work unless alternative care is arranged. It would not be acceptable to have big day care substitutes in a hospital for obvious reasons. Many other hospital and ER staff would be affected as well. The system would have dramatically reduced throughput.

Even at full capacity, the health care system cannot handle a major pandemic. Thousands would simply not get seen, even people who are dying.

Tamiflu would reduce your chances of dying somewhat. There will not be anywhere near enough of it. Black market Tamiflu will get interesting.

With massive numbers of people staying home to take care of children and to avoid the disease, the economy would be seriously impacted. Food and fuel shortages could result.

Two good options in case of worldwide bid flu pandemic with a virulent strain:

1. Bend over, kiss rear end goodbye just in case. Get two holdem cards. If it's a pair JJ or higher, you get to find out if your religion is right.

2. Hole up on in Montana with a couple months' worth of provisions, several firearms, a fly rod, and an internet connection. Walk around with your 4-inch "gun" a lot. Paint your willow tree bases to protect them from bird flu-addled beavers.

One of the more interesting side stories in a pandemic: the country will run out of ventilators the first week or two. Then first question will be do you let those in vegetative states die in order to save healthy people, or do you sacrifice the healthy people and leave the vegetatives on the vents? Every person in a vegetative state left on the vent will result in an average of two healthy people dying. Second and more interesting question: many thousands will need to be ventilated but won't have ventilators. An Ambu bag, an oxygen bottle, a little training and several really close friends who will bag you around the clock without missing for longer than 1-2.5 minutes for 1-3 weeks will keep many alive who would otherwise die. You do not want to tap friends with ADD for the job, or people who aren't bright enough to self-correct when they aren't actually ventilating you.

Fun exercise: List those friends and relatives.

marsvolta619
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Scary stuff. I don't have much to say as I'm not too educated on the topic but I definitely dont want this thread to die. Chime in people!

calmasahinducow
11-18-2005, 02:21 PM
This is very interesting and a bit scary...where'd you get all this info?

4_2_it
11-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Weren't we saying this about SARS not too long ago? It is good to get information out, but having less than 70 deaths (per WHO) (http://www.info.gov.hk/info/flu/eng/global.htm) people die of something in SE Asia being extrapolated into a worldwide pandemic seems a little alarmist to me.

More people die every year of the common flu (due to age/immune system difficulties) and for that matter Ebola, but you don't see a worldwide scare for those.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 02:27 PM
SARS was a relatively new disease and simply did not acquire major transfection factors. The odds were in our favor.

Flu has a much better track record for pandemics. However, the odds for this year are still well in our favor. Remember, if it does not acquire good human-to-human transmissibility, you do not get a pandemic.

Aloysius
11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, but know very little about this (except that you have now scared the living [censored] out of me) -

1) Ventilator - very expensive? who produces them? how long to mass produce? ventilation does what now for an infected patient? Can not self ventilate due to being too sick?

2) SARs vs. Bird Flu - What is the current level of human-to-human infection? Is there research to suggest that this is becoming more virulent and possible?

Lazymeatball
11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then first question will be do you let those in vegetative states die in order to save healthy people, or do you sacrifice the healthy people and leave the vegetatives on the vents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this would be a clear violation of the Hippocratic Oath. As well as many other local laws. other than that, I have no input into the greater moral questions being asked. My first instinct is to say pulling dying people off respirators is wrong. I'm not a big 'the ends justify the means' kind of guy.

theBruiser500
11-18-2005, 02:40 PM
"1. Bend over, kiss rear end goodbye just in case. Get two holdem cards. If it's a pair JJ or higher, you get to find out if your religion is right.
"

well said

imported_anacardo
11-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be.
The future's not ours to see.
Que sera, sera.

marsvolta619
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Well I don't know much, but here's what I know from my bio classes... Viruses are the most rapidly mutating things on earth. Sure, we're fine now while you basically have to molest a chicken to get this, but when/if it mutates to an airborn virus, that's when we're screwed.

MrMon
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Best current article on the real risk of bird flu.

Fuss and Feathers: Pandemic Panic over the Avian Flu (http://www.fumento.com/disease/flu2005.html)

Summary. Yes, we should be worried and prepare. Anything with this much potential for death has to be paid attention to. But it proably won't happen this year. It may not happen for 30 years. Be alert, but keep perspective.

When in doubt, consult Michael Fumento for a rational evaluation of all things scientific.

swede123
11-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Matt,

Are you by chance a sales rep. for a ventilator company?

Swede

CORed
11-18-2005, 02:46 PM
It's very hard to predict. The 1918 "Spanish" flu pandemic was an extremly virulent strain, and sometimes killed helthy young men in a matter of hours. the 1968 Hong Kong flu wasn't much worse than your typical seasonal flu, but a lot more people caught it because nobody had immunity. It would make sense to be prepared for a "worst case" scenario, but i don't really see any reason to panic.

wacki
11-18-2005, 02:55 PM
There are so many dormant viruses, bacteria, and parasites in the US that are lethal to humans it amazes me we don't have more plagues. Especially considering how prevelant mosquitos are.

For instance, a significant number of dogs have tested positive for Trypanosoma cruzi from Georgia to Minnesota. There is no shortage of mosquitos in the US. Why the leap from dogs to humans is not made in the US but happens to occur in Mexico and South America never ceases to amaze me.

miajag81
11-18-2005, 02:57 PM
If that scenario really happened, the effects of the ensuing panic would be a lot worse than the effects of 2% of the population dying.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Long article in a Pediatric journal about flu preparedness in North Carolina. Also, my wife sits on the Pediatrics committee that advocates for preparing for these things in NC.

sfer
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If that scenario really happened, the effects of the ensuing panic would be a lot worse than the effects of 2% of the population dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot worse than the deaths of 5 million people in the US?

Shajen
11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot worse than the deaths of 5 million people in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely.

benza13
11-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Yea, these stats are all scary, but the real reason we have heard so much about bird flu: the [censored] 24 hour news channels that need to fill up space, so they find "potential" threats like this and pump them up as much as they can. No one is going to call them on it either if they are wrong or wildly inaccurate, they'll just keep watching and worrying.

Bird flu might be a problem someday, but I have no worries for this or the next couple years. Hopefully by the time it actually is a threat they have a better plan than whats in place now.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please forgive my ignorance, but know very little about this (except that you have now scared the living [censored] out of me) -

1) Ventilator - very expensive? who produces them? how long to mass produce? ventilation does what now for an infected patient? Can not self ventilate due to being too sick?

2) SARs vs. Bird Flu - What is the current level of human-to-human infection? Is there research to suggest that this is becoming more virulent and possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe ventilators cost several thosuand dollars, but it would depend on the model. There is no stockpile. Production capacity would not meet the demand. However, there will likely be enough Ambu bags and oxygen bottles.

Healthy people's immune systems can respond so vigorously to the flu virus that healthy adults can drown in their own fluids: essentially the lungs fill with reactive inflammation. Ventilation increases the oxygen being delivered into the blood stream by (1) using oxygen instead of air and (2) using pressure to force air into the lungs (vs suction, which is what you use when you breathe in). There's more to it, but other docs on the forum would give you better answers.

4_2_it
11-18-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SARS was a relatively new disease and simply did not acquire major transfection factors. The odds were in our favor.

Flu has a much better track record for pandemics. However, the odds for this year are still well in our favor. Remember, if it does not acquire good human-to-human transmissibility, you do not get a pandemic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I just think too many people are panicking when this thing has not mutated to human on human.

I think the scientific breakthroughs in medicine over the past 50 years along with increasing worldwide sanitation is something that is downplayed too often. These are two of the main reasons we have not a seen a pandemic similar to the Spanish flu of 90 years ago.

Wasn't swine flu supposed to kill millions in the mid-1970's? I think I even got vaccinated when I was 7 or 8. I just don't see a reason to get excited.

News has been slow lately so the press has to report something and this seems to be a story that will sell newspapers so they run with it.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then first question will be do you let those in vegetative states die in order to save healthy people, or do you sacrifice the healthy people and leave the vegetatives on the vents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this would be a clear violation of the Hippocratic Oath. As well as many other local laws. other than that, I have no input into the greater moral questions being asked. My first instinct is to say pulling dying people off respirators is wrong. I'm not a big 'the ends justify the means' kind of guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The Hippocratic Oath states first do no harm and is all nice comfy in conditions of abundant health care resources. In a flu pandemic, I feel battlefield medicine rules apply and triage is in order. Save as many lives as you can with what you have. There is moral debate that usually centers around doing vs not doing: e.g., the classic you are on a train that is going to run over disrupted tracks, derail and kill all 100 people aboard. You have the option to switch to a safe track, but a helpless child is tied to those tracks and would be killed by your action. What do you do?

wacki
11-18-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, there will likely be enough Ambu bags and oxygen bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ambu bags? How long would you have to use an Ambu bag on someone? A week 24/7? Also, I assume whoever is using the Ambu bag would be at high risk of contracting the disease.

Aloysius
11-18-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe ventilators cost several thosuand dollars, but it would depend on the model. There is no stockpile. Production capacity would not meet the demand. However, there will likely be enough Ambu bags and oxygen bottles.

Healthy people's immune systems can respond so vigorously to the flu virus that healthy adults can drown in their own fluids: essentially the lungs fill with reactive inflammation. Ventilation increases the oxygen being delivered into the blood stream by (1) using oxygen instead of air and (2) using pressure to force air into the lungs (vs suction, which is what you use when you breathe in). There's more to it, but other docs on the forum would give you better answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you - very helpful.

Ambu bag + oxygen bottle may = the new gas face mask i'm thinking...

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Matt,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no, but it's a good industry right now.

4_2_it
11-18-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matt,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no, but it's a good industry right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since the run on duct tape seems to be losing its steam.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best current article on the real risk of bird flu.

Fuss and Feathers: Pandemic Panic over the Avian Flu (http://www.fumento.com/disease/flu2005.html)

Summary. Yes, we should be worried and prepare. Anything with this much potential for death has to be paid attention to. But it proably won't happen this year. It may not happen for 30 years. Be alert, but keep perspective.

When in doubt, consult Michael Fumento for a rational evaluation of all things scientific.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fumento and I have said nothing different. Neither of us have assigned a probability the event will happen this year, save to agree it is >0.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a significant number of dogs have tested positive for Trypanosoma cruzi from Georgia to Minnesota. There is no shortage of mosquitos in the US. Why the leap from dogs to humans is not made in the US but happens to occur in Mexico and South America never ceases to amaze me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know that. Do you have a link?

My favorite is prarie dogs in California are rampant with the Black Death.

banditbdl
11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
So if I'm a 2nd year medical student who will be starting rotations next year with a history of empeyema requiring a thoracotomy does this mean I should be worried?

I am so [censored].

MrWookie47
11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
This was originally posted by JaxUp over in Micro. It was from a newspaper running a story on Bird Flu.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/jaxup/pigeon.jpg

11-18-2005, 03:35 PM
sanitation here in the US might be great, but not in other countries...In China, people sleep with the chickens in their pen so that no one steals there chickens. That means they probably eat around them, possibley don't wash their hands after handleing the chickens...In Romainia, there was a quanrantine because all the birds had the virus...to get in or out of the city, you have to walk through a pond of disinfectant. when this old guy was walking through, he lets out a chicken from under his shirt that he was trying to sneak in...just stupid stuff like this is going to allow this virus to get out..not to mention that birds FLY all over the world...and this virus is different because humans don't have any immunity built up. most viruses are a mix between human and animal viruses...the avain flu crossed the human barrier intact, meaning that we havne't had time to built up immunity...
also, this virus starts with similar symptoms of the common flu...people aren't going to rush to the hospital to get treated, and therefore, are going to spread it around...
so no, it hasn't actually been transmitted from human to human, but there is a high chance that it will be able to...it's just a matter of time

wacki
11-18-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. He picks obviously flawed arguements made by ignorant people or complete idiots. This tactic makes it easy for him to seem like he's always right while only giving an incomplete answer. He never tackles the really tough questions that take hardcore research.

For instance his article on oilsands completely ignores what tar sand mining will do to the atmosphere. He doesn't mentioned the toxic lakes created by this process that will be larger than our own great lakes either. It paints a very rosy picture when it's really not that rosy at all.

Also, he's written almost a hundred articles on global warming but never mentions ITER, Richard Smalley, Mellilo, or any of the big name respected scientists. He only attacks the media.

Michael Fumento is for lightweights that don't know how to think critically.

imported_anacardo
11-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm glad that your well-documented disease paranoia has a new way to express itself. You must be relieved! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hard-to-predict things do you predict would happen?

wacki
11-18-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not know that. Do you have a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked for a global infectious disease unit for a while. So most of my information came from field researchers actually doing the work and journals passed out during lab meetings. I'll try and dig up some info. Cruzi is not the only bug that's like this though.

Here is an article about sero positive racoons in georgia.

http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=ge...5&page=1155 (http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=get-document&issn=0022-3395&volume=087&issue=05&page=1155)

The indirect immunofluorescent antibody test (IFAT) and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) were compared with blood culture for the detection of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in 83 raccoons (Procyon lotor) trapped in 4 counties of southeast Georgia.

Forty-five of 83 serum samples (54%) were positive for anti-T. cruzi antibodies with the ELISA, and 47 were IFAT positive (57%).

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, these stats are all scary, but the real reason we have heard so much about bird flu: the [censored] 24 hour news channels that need to fill up space, so they find "potential" threats like this and pump them up as much as they can. No one is going to call them on it either if they are wrong or wildly inaccurate, they'll just keep watching and worrying.

Bird flu might be a problem someday, but I have no worries for this or the next couple years. Hopefully by the time it actually is a threat they have a better plan than whats in place now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. My guess is the true probability is a lot closer to you than to CNN.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, there will likely be enough Ambu bags and oxygen bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ambu bags? How long would you have to use an Ambu bag on someone? A week 24/7? Also, I assume whoever is using the Ambu bag would be at high risk of contracting the disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes. Makes you think about your friends doesn't it?

miajag81
11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hard-to-predict things do you predict would happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess the economy collapsing or at least being crippled for a few months would lead to many more deaths and hardship, especially in third-world countries.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if I'm a 2nd year medical student who will be starting rotations next year with a history of empeyema requiring a thoracotomy does this mean I should be worried?

I am so [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, you're in good shape. We should have a vaccine next year - or at least I hope so.

But you are [censored] anyway because you are going into medicine. ;-)

wacki
11-18-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With an electric motor, some flexible tubing, and an ambu bag I'd make my own respirator. Seriously, there is no reason why a respirator should be expensive or in short supply. Yes they won't be as good as the uber expensive hospital ones are, and it might not have all of the electronic alarms and such, but I'd put good money on my ability to make one that was almost as reliable from parts obtained from home depo.

wacki
11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Meant to add, there is no reason why the government shouldn't give liability protection for companies wanting to make low cost respirators for emergencies like this. Talk to your wife flynn. Get on this.

Luzion
11-18-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sanitation here in the US might be great, but not in other countries...In China, people sleep with the chickens in their pen so that no one steals there chickens. That means they probably eat around them, possibley don't wash their hands after handleing the chickens...In Romainia, there was a quanrantine because all the birds had the virus...to get in or out of the city, you have to walk through a pond of disinfectant. when this old guy was walking through, he lets out a chicken from under his shirt that he was trying to sneak in...just stupid stuff like this is going to allow this virus to get out..not to mention that birds FLY all over the world...and this virus is different because humans don't have any immunity built up. most viruses are a mix between human and animal viruses...the avain flu crossed the human barrier intact, meaning that we havne't had time to built up immunity...
also, this virus starts with similar symptoms of the common flu...people aren't going to rush to the hospital to get treated, and therefore, are going to spread it around...
so no, it hasn't actually been transmitted from human to human, but there is a high chance that it will be able to...it's just a matter of time

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? In China, people sleep in the pens where they store their chickens? Where did you read/see this? That sounds like blatant bs to me.

Its also amazing how many "..." multiple dot-dot-dots you fit in your post. You might want to use regular periods at the end of your sentences.

impecunious
11-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I've been thinking of this since reading the following article in the latest Scientific American. It's some scary [censored]!
Scientific American (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000DCB5A-9CC7-134E-9CC783414B7F0000&sc=I100322)

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meant to add, there is no reason why the government shouldn't give liability protection for companies wanting to make low cost respirators for emergencies like this. Talk to your wife flynn. Get on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck getting that done. You could build your own, but between the FDA and especially the trial lawyers it seems unlikely you could get Congress to act.

My wife is a diehard crusader for good, but she knows what a windmill is.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With an electric motor, some flexible tubing, and an ambu bag I'd make my own respirator. Seriously, there is no reason why a respirator should be expensive or in short supply. Yes they won't be as good as the uber expensive hospital ones are, and it might not have all of the electronic alarms and such, but I'd put good money on my ability to make one that was almost as reliable from parts obtained from home depo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. If the pandemic hits, please get on it and post specs here.

Matt Flynn
11-18-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? In China, people sleep in the pens where they store their chickens? Where did you read/see this? That sounds like blatant bs to me.

Its also amazing how many "..." multiple dot-dot-dots you fit in your post. You might want to use regular periods at the end of your sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if it is common ... but if you have a tv ... you can see lots of pictures of same ....

Luzion
11-18-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if it is common ... but if you have a tv ... you can see lots of pictures of same ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont think so... I turn on closed-caption a lot... not that many ... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

marsvolta619
11-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Vaccinations are temporary especially to rapidly mutating virii. There's no HIV vaccination is there?

ethan
11-19-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should post plans. I'm technically proficient enough to make anything fitting this description, and if it doesn't work I promise I'll be too dead to sue.

bottomset
11-19-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tamiflu would reduce your chances of dying somewhat. There will not be anywhere near enough of it

[/ QUOTE ]

can you acquire it now, before this potentially starts?
does it require special storage conditions?
how quick does it expire?

Girchuck
11-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Tamiflu is manufactured by a Swiss company Roche
They've recently discontinued shipments to US claiming that they don't have enough production capacity to supply Europe in case of pandemic.

Girchuck
11-19-2005, 05:01 PM
According to the CDC lecture I attended in 2004,
the easiest way for the H5N1 bird flu virus to mutate to human to human transmissible form is to acquire necessary genes from the regular human flu virus.
However, if thats how the mutation goes, human immune systems might not be completely defenseless. The CDC lecturer estimated best case body count in US from this pandemic at 200 thousand, provided there was enough effective anti-virals to cover 50% of population and the vaccine is developed in a month.
He put the odds of necessary mutation at ~30% per year, less if there is massive slaughter of infected poultry.
Also, just like in 1918 pandemics and the fizzled one in the 70s, the most probable final vector for the mutated virus will be pigs, which can host both the regular human virus and the H5N1 bird type, and have a greater chance of exposure because of pigs' proximity to poultry in Asia.

tek
11-20-2005, 03:22 PM
There's a lot of posts in this thread and I don't have time to read them all today so if what I say has been covered, sorry.

First, I think it is much ado about nothing if not a hoax to sell vaccinations. (Note to self: Buy stock in the vaccination companies...)

Seconds, if it does happen, it may be like the 1918 flu--most ly young people get wzxed. In that case goodbye internet poker /images/graemlins/frown.gif

11-20-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of posts in this thread and I don't have time to read them all today so if what I say has been covered, sorry.

First, I think it is much ado about nothing if not a hoax to sell vaccinations. (Note to self: Buy stock in the vaccination companies...)

Seconds, if it does happen, it may be like the 1918 flu--most ly young people get wzxed. In that case goodbye internet poker /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize vaccines are for viruses that have already been common in the human body. They don't have vaccinations for the H5N1 virus.

tek
11-20-2005, 09:57 PM
You young guys better multi-table like there's no tomorrow /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Through my mother (a doctor), I got a boatload of Tamiflu. I wonder if I should start selling it for a huge markup, as they are no longer shipping Tamiflu to the US.

Go_Blue88
11-21-2005, 08:00 AM
who the fuk would you sell that to? if you find someone i'll be your manager.

11-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I read it in newsweek... there are pictures in there just for you...and sorry you don't like my punctuation...i'm sure you'll get over it

Girchuck
11-21-2005, 05:55 PM
http://themessthatgreenspanmade.blogspot.com/2005/11/tamiflu-futures-to-trade-at-merc.html

pokerdirty
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
remember how we were all supposed to die from anthrax too?

wacki
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was media hype, Saddam never had tons of anthrax in the past but never was able to weaponize it. If terrorist had weaponized anthrax AND a delivery system, then it would no longer be media hype. Weaponized anthrax is rather difficult to make. Anthrax can be found in many cow fields.

This flu threat is very real btw.

Matt Flynn
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have said the same thing last year about a category 4-5 hurricane hitting New Orleans. You can say that about ANY event that carries a probability < 100% that has not happened yet that has been discussed. The criticism has no meaning.