PDA

View Full Version : some basic cardroom questions

03-08-2002, 06:31 AM
since I'm planning my first cardroom trip soon, I had a couple of questions that I have not yet seen addressed. First off what happens if you have say only a $10 chip, but need to make a $4 bet? Can I sit out a hand or two to stretch my legs or go to the bathroom without losing my seat? If I want to change tables or go to a different game, do I have to sign up again or can I just tell someone? What should I buy in for at a 2-4 or 3-6 game? I know some of you have probably answered these questions dozens of times and I just want you to know that I and I'm sure all of the other beginners truly appreciate the help. Thanks again.

03-08-2002, 10:10 AM
I'll try to answer some of your questions.

"First off what happens if you have say only a $10 chip, but need to make a $4 bet?"

You simply put the chip in the pot. If you do not announce a raise putting a larger value chip in the pot is assumed to be a call in limit poker. Rules vary for pot limit and no limit.

"Can I sit out a hand or two to stretch my legs or go to the bathroom without losing my seat?"

Yes, just leave your chips on the table. If you miss the blinds while you were gone you will either have to post the amount of the blinds or wait for the big blind. You might want to tell the dealer to deal you out when you get up.

"If I want to change tables or go to a different game, do I have to sign up again or can I just tell someone?"

You have to sign up but you can do this by telling the floorman. If you don't know who the floorman is ask the dealer to point him out. If you are up stretching you legs you can go over to the board and sign up.

"What should I buy in for at a 2-4 or 3-6 game?"

The minimum is usually 10 small bets but that is not a realistic amount. 30 ro more small bets would be a more realistic buy in. It is not uncommon to buy a rack of chips used in the game. Since both 2-4 and 3-6 are played with dollar chips that would be $100. You can get away with less for the 2-4 game.

03-08-2002, 10:52 AM
As for leaving the game, just be sure to check on the particular rules. You can be away longer than you think. A general rule is that you get a button every time a new dealer sits down and you're not there. (every 20-30 mins depending on the place) You get a certain number of these. A good thing to do is to wait until a new dealer sits down and then play a hand and take your break. This is when you want to eat or something. If you're just going to be a couple of minutes its no big deal.

You will come across the 'third man walking rule" at some point. This means if two players are gone, you can't miss your blinds if there's a list for the game. If you don't know about the rule or don't know if it applies, just ask. No big deal. But then you will only be able to take a short break after you've posted for that round.

If you want to look like a seasoned Bellagio player, take a very long break, come back and quit the game. No, don't do this. Please.

As for buying in, 100 is fine. Less OK for the 2-4. But still have some chips. Some players even with a lot of experience like to buy in short. This is dumb. I see one guy in particular who thinks he's great. He buys 20 at a time in 3-6, 40 at a time in 4-8, 100 at a time in 10-20 9which I've only seen him play once.) He can't win this way. I've only seen him book one winner. I think he likes playing a short stack like a tournament. I call him the ATM, because he gives the table 20 at a time in regular intervals. I don't mock him because that might educate him. But my dream is to have the guy in a bad beat hand- him going all in w/ A-Ks UTG, everone calling, me calling on the button w/ 98s. Flop T-J-Qs. I win a massive side pot and the huge bad beat. Him winning the small main pot and the winner's share of the bad beat. If this happens I will mock him even if it wises him up. :-)

03-08-2002, 11:13 AM
You got replies. I just wanted to clarify one. If you put the $10 chip in when you're making a $4 bet, the dealer will make change for you from the pot.

Which leads me to a pet peeve. People who use "off-denomination" chips. I've sat in 4/8 HE games with people who have a goodly stack of $5s and $1s but they insist on using $5s only, so the dealer is constantly making change. Even when they are making an $8 bet they use two $5 chips. So, they're accumulating $1 chips but continue using $5s.

Maybe I'm just overly anal about it.

Troy

03-08-2002, 06:55 PM
No, you're not.

Maybe Andy will share some more Archie stories again.

03-11-2002, 09:18 AM
i play 4-8 and i always try to put in the exact amount, and put white chips in play. especially when i have had like 15 stacks of white. or if iim short on white chips, ill buy some from another player or the dealer all at once, instead of making change every time. it really helps the game along.