PDA

View Full Version : Another Frustrating Loss

Magician
06-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Pokerstars satellite, I am down to 1,000 chips from the original 1,500. Blinds are 25/50.

I'm dealt AQo in middle position. I bring it in for 3BB (leaving me with 850 chips).

Folded to SB, who raises back another 2 BB.

I move the rest of my chips in.

SB calls and flips over AA and I bust out yet again.

Was there anything I could have done differently or is it yet again a case of me running into pocket aces despite having one of the aces?

Jimbo
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
"Was there anything I could have done differently or is it yet again a case of me running into pocket aces despite having one of the aces?"

Yes don't make a habit of going over the top of someone who repopped your initial raise when they are out of position. Particularly with a marginal holding like AQ off. The only hands that will call your allin bet either have you completely dominated (like AA or even AK) or are at worst a coin flip.

The minimum reraise is normally a sign of a monster hand. Heed the call of the two headed monster hands, they are normally seeking food.

As far as what I would have done in your position: Call the reraise and see the flop, if you are lucky and it misses you completely you may survive the hand, unless you like to bluff and the SB is very patient.

Magician
06-28-2003, 12:19 AM
The flop had an A and a Q - so having flopped top two pair I would've gone all in and lost all my chips anyway even if I'd called.

But that's not the point obviously.

Justaloser
06-28-2003, 08:07 AM
You put yourself in a situation where it was a coin flip. If you are able to accept that you will lose sometimes, then I see nothing wrong with your play.

You can't play every hand scared of AA. You just have to hope that when someone else has them, you've got J4os.