PDA

View Full Version : Buying a suit online @ Overstock -- good or bad idea?

Salva135
11-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I was looking at the suits on Overstock.com, and noticed some good ones -- Joseph Abboud for only $350! Has anyone ever ordered from Overstock.com before? Would you ever order a suit online, from this site in particular?

Also, I don't wear a suit to work so I haven't been fitted for one in a long time, and I'm afraid of getting the wrong size. If I went to a store and got fitted, could I be reasonably sure that the size that fits me will correspond to the one I order, or does it vary by designer?

swede123
11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Suits definitely vary depending on the designer. That being said, As long as your body type is fairly standard for the kind of suit you are buying (athletic, short, stocky etc) a decent tailor should be able to make it fit you pretty well. I'd still be worried about buying any clothing that expensive sight unseen.

Swede

IndieMatty
11-18-2005, 01:08 PM
You will probably have to go to a tailor to get adjustments made anyway, so as long as your size is pretty close, I see no reason why this wouldn't be doable.

I bought a suit from Banana Republic this way.

11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I usually prefer custom tailoring to my body type, but you may have a common build.

Just remember it will cost a little more if you want to get it tailored seperatly. Shouldn't be too bad though.

coffeecrazy1
11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
http://bubba.org/nlcv/images/eddie_leisure.jpg

Blarg
11-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Tailoring is essential to making a suit look its best anyway. It's kinda crazy to spend hundreds on a suit and not get it tailored. Even a good fit can usually be made better.

That said, be careful with Overstock. I paid for something via Paypal with them and they kept the money and denied the transaction. After a couple of weeks of them saying they'd get right on it with form letters but no real response, I contacted Paypal's claims resolution department and the matter was handled within a matter of hours. Their customer service is pretty bad when you actually need it.