PDA

View Full Version : If you had 30 seconds with Phil Gordon, what would you ask him?

Vee Quiva
11-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Phil is coming to my town for a book signing tonight. See my original post here. Book Signing (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=books&Number=3946239&Searc hpage=1&Main=3946239&Words=+Vee+Quiva&topic=&Searc h=true#Post3946239)
If you had 30 seconds to ask him a question, what would you say?

11-18-2005, 11:31 AM
from what i understand hes not that great of a poker player. just a very aggressive player with a huge bankroll.

hes a great businessman though. maybe you should ask him what kind of tech company to start.

Overdrive
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
I would ask him what his favorite Iggy Pop song is.

Freudian
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Ask him how tall he is.

11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
I would ask, "Phil, if you are in the CO and there are two limpers and the person behnd you raises 4x BB, and you have 73o, and the button has a 18 VPIP, Pf agg of 12, and the SB is a woman, and the BB is from Kiev, and the blinds are at 15/30, do you push?"

Vee Quiva
11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Well he has made a final table in the Main Event of the WSOP and he's won a WPT title. I'd say his credentials are better than 99% of the members of this forum.

dlk9s
11-18-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from what i understand hes not that great of a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is.

SUfan5
11-18-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ask him how tall he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

transmitt
11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
How annoying was that chick from Blind Date that you didn't take the free pass?

11-18-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

considering he drops over 200k in tournament entries a yr, no he's not.

11-18-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil is coming to my town for a book signing tonight. If you had 30 seconds to ask him a question, what would you say?

[/ QUOTE ]

How's Flash?

A_Junglen
11-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I think Phil Gordon is a very underrated poker player

Georgia Avenue
11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Sup bro?

(It works every time...)

samjjones
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Tell him you're living life six sigmas out. Then ask him what Nicole Sullivan's vadge smells like.

billyjex
11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Gordon is the basic every guy. By that, I mean he is nothing special, and definetely not a prodigy. But he is dedicated, studies hard, and never lets anything get in his way. He is someone who excels because he has the desire to do so.

zoobird
11-18-2005, 01:12 PM
How about asking him this: "Phil - when you and other top pros write books, there's plenty of good advice, but not that much that really stands out as being far beyond the ideas of most good poker players. Is that because of the audience you're targeting, because you're holding back some of the best stuff, or for some other reason?"

cwsiggy
11-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Ask him which hand is better in no limit - JJ or AQs (Jj with position, both players deep and seeing a flop) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

11-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Get Clonie's phone number for me. I want to see if I can bed her without my wife finding out.

revots33
11-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Ask him if it's hard pretending Dave Foley's jokes are funny.

PoBoy321
11-18-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ask him which hand is better in no limit - JJ or AQs (Jj with position, both players deep and seeing a flop) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then tell him it's the AQs, but that others will elaborate.

Jamey Saunders
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
"How's the weather up there?"

Preytar
11-18-2005, 02:44 PM
You have gotten some pretty funny responses, but I'll give you a serious one that have used in the past when given this same oportunity.

Look him in the eye and ask, "What are the 2 or 3 things that I can do today to become a better poker player?"

Regardless of what some posters say, Phil is a very good player. You should use this oportunity to get some insight into what he thinks is important.

Brian

11-18-2005, 02:48 PM
its hard to say. he certainly is an above avg poker player. but he made his zillions in the tech industry though. i think he sold his company to cisco. im just saying im certain he is a better businessman than poker player.

11-18-2005, 03:34 PM
For the people that say he is a bad, consistant losing poker player: If he is such a good businessman, why is he dumping all this money ($200k per year in entry fees) if he isn't winning? Obviously after a while, he should know it is a bad investment.

Or maybe it is the fact that he is better than you say and does, in fact, turn a profit.

11-18-2005, 03:44 PM
if you have 50 mil losing 200K is no big deal.

11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
ask him if he will bank roll me in next years ME.

Bartman387
11-18-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you must be his accountant.

Remember because of his other responsibilities, Celeb POker and his three businesses, he does not get to play all the major tournaments. So he is not dropping as much in entry fees as other tourney regulars do.

To the OP: He did a reading at my university a couple weeks ago and it was very imteresting. He started out by talking about the 4 qualities that he sees all successful poker players (and successful people in general) having. Then he just opens things up for whatever questions the audience has. I was drawing a blank so I just sat back and enjoyed, it was a very interesting hour. If he doesn't bring up Hellmuth, ask him what he thinks of him, he makes it no secret that he absolutely hates the guy, pretty funny.

P.S. Gordon even admits that he is not a great player, but works hard and is always discussing things with his Ivey, Flack etc. but for you guys on here to say that he is just average is absurd. He is not one of the top 5 in the world, but he is a good that can hold his own.

idrinkcoors
11-18-2005, 05:09 PM
With books, t.v. shows, interviews on television and radio interviews, yet no recent poker success, do you think that you are overexposed?

Bartman387
11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With books, t.v. shows, interviews on television and radio interviews, yet no recent poker success, do you think that you are overexposed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what overexposure has to do with anything, but these are some decent results in year & half

13-Jul-05 $ 20,000 No Limit Hold'em
FullTiltPoker.Net Championship, Las Vegas 5th $ 33,000

17-Jun-05 $ 1,500 No Limit Hold'em Shootout
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 3rd $ 75,350

08-Jun-05 $ 1,000 No Limit Hold'em
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 8th $ 66,055

03-Mar-04 $ 5,000 WPT No Limit Hold'em Championship Final Day
2004 - Bay 101 Shooting Star, San Jose 1st $ 360,000

HeroInBlack
11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd ask "What's the good word?"

And he'd reply, "To hell with Georgia."

Then I'd ask, "How 'bout them dawgs?"

And he'd reply, "Piss on 'em."

11-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Ask him if Dave foley's ever made a pass at him when they're alone in the losers lounge.

11-18-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"How's the weather up there?"

[/ QUOTE ]
To which he'll answer, "it's raining" and spit on you.

11-18-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have gotten some pretty funny responses, but I'll give you a serious one that have used in the past when given this same oportunity.

Look him in the eye and ask, "What are the 2 or 3 things that I can do today to become a better poker player?"

Regardless of what some posters say, Phil is a very good player. You should use this oportunity to get some insight into what he thinks is important.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, but there's a crisp $5 bill and 2,000 full tilt points in it for you if you can get me that phone number.

idrinkcoors
11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
"Not sure what overexposure has to do with anything, but these are some decent results in year & half

FullTiltPoker.Net Championship, Las Vegas 5th $ 33,000"

There were 23 players in that event. Yes it was a strong line-up. And yes, he did cash in two WSOP events. I guess if you play every single tournament on the cicuit you are going to cash once in a while.

I'm not a hater, maybe I'm jealous. I just think the guy is way overexposed. Give me more Dannenman.

3rdEye
11-18-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd ask him how big Mary McCormack's post-baby boobs were in person.

DarthIgnurnt
11-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Ask him to sign the book "From Poker's 3rd most-famous Phil".

Oh, and then ask him how tall he is.

gabbahh
11-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Got a minute?

Bartman387
11-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Not sure what overexposure has to do with anything, but these are some decent results in year & half

FullTiltPoker.Net Championship, Las Vegas 5th $ 33,000"

There were 23 players in that event. Yes it was a strong line-up. And yes, he did cash in two WSOP events. I guess if you play every single tournament on the cicuit you are going to cash once in a while.

I'm not a hater, maybe I'm jealous. I just think the guy is way overexposed. Give me more Dannenman.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't even in town during the whole WSOP, he played maybe half the events ad it's not like the ones I listed were simply cashes, they were final table appearances.

You keep saying he is over exposed, how so?? He is on Celeb POker Challenge and I think I saw him on one of the FullTiltPOker.net instructional shows. Where else is he getting all kinds of "exposure?"

Also, how do you expect to have seen a lot of Dannenman when he just got "famous" on the poker scene? You really need to quit hating for no reason.

idrinkcoors
11-18-2005, 07:22 PM
The Tiltboys website

Phil's website

Card Sharx Apparel website

Bluff Magazine -columnist

ESPN.com-poker columnist

Ultimate Sports Adventure website

All In Magazine - columnist

3 books, a dvd, t.v. host, invterviews, etc. Gives money to cancer research, so I give him props for that. But like I said, more Dannenman.

11-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Ask him if he's got Erin Ness's phone number.

mmbt0ne
11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I would ask him what dorms he lived in at Tech, how often he comes by for football and basketball games, if he hated the CoC as much as I do, etc. Lots of people must ask him about poker, I'd like to give him a break.

Bartman387
11-18-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Tiltboys website

Phil's website

Card Sharx Apparel website

Bluff Magazine -columnist

ESPN.com-poker columnist

Ultimate Sports Adventure website

All In Magazine - columnist

3 books, a dvd, t.v. host, invterviews, etc. Gives money to cancer research, so I give him props for that. But like I said, more Dannenman.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious. Maybe if you want to stop seeing him you should stop reading HIS articles and visitng HIS websites.

At this point I realize you dont know what being overexposed means. Being overexposed doesn't mean someone has a lot of jobs, responsibilities, and businesses. Being overexposed means being covered like crazy by the media. Moneymaker was overexposed. Not because he may have a personal website, a magazine column, or several business endeavors.

11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would agree. I believe a lot of younger, less accomplished players probably get more credit than Gordon. He really has no reason to play poker other than for the competition and love of the game. He has given a lot of information back to the poker community in the way of articles, books, DVDs, etc. He ranks about even with Howard Lederer as being a great source of information for poker strategies and concepts.

idrinkcoors
11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Okay Bartman, I give in. You win. Give me your address so that I may send in the check for membership of the Phil Gordon fan club. Don't forget to send me my full length poster of him either.

Bartman387
11-18-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay Bartman, I give in. You win. Give me your address so that I may send in the check for membership of the Phil Gordon fan club. Don't forget to send me my full length poster of him either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Gordon is God
P.O. Box 7584
Mpls, MN. 55413

No personal checks or cash accepted. Money Orders and CC numbers please!

Russ McGinley
11-18-2005, 08:57 PM
"Stake me?"

Beavis68
11-19-2005, 12:13 AM
What is your favorite non-holdem poker game?

"Omaha" the hi/lo variety.

Pure class act.

http://members.cox.net/poker.beavis/BeavisandPhil2.jpg

Guthrie
11-19-2005, 12:52 AM
What is your Neteller password?

Beavis68
11-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Why Dennis Rodman is the worst poker player ever.

http://members.cox.net/poker.beavis/DennisRodman.mpg

whiskeytown
11-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Ask him if there's one place he'd recommend you go sightseeing -

Phil did a lot of world traveling - I'd be interested in his opinion on places to see.

RB

bwana devil
11-19-2005, 02:07 AM
how many 5 year olds?

11-19-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you must be his accountant.

[/ QUOTE ]

considering the nbc HUs and wtp champion combining a total 65k buy-in, you don't have to be that great at math to figure out the minimal entry expenses for a star tourney player. i wouldn't be surprised if phil gordon was an over-all losing poker player.

shaniac
11-19-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't be surprised if phil gordon was an over-all losing poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't either, but that's got nothing to do with how good at poker he is. Also, considering that he doesn't really play EVERY stop on tour, it wouldn't be that hard for him to be breaking even or winning.

When you consider his ancillary poker-related income, he's clearly ahead of the game.

bones
11-19-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you consider his ancillary poker-related income, he's clearly ahead of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as dishing out Roshambo beatings to final table noobs?

shaniac
11-19-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as dishing out Roshambo beatings to final table noobs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ex-actly. NH.

Beavis68
11-19-2005, 06:01 PM
He had a good story about that.

Said he was at a bar in Chi-town.

Guy comes up - $100 for a Roshambo. Phil does scissors, guy does paper.

Another $100, Phil does scissors, the guy does paper.

Guy goes away.... comes back a while later.

$300!

The guy does paper, Phil does paper. "Ok, I have this guy figured out now, he is going to stick with paper until I blink"

They go again, Phil cuts his paper.

$500! Phil wins with scissors.

The guy empties out his wallet - about 1200. Phil wins with scissors "so I gave him $20 for cab fare, bought him a beer and sent his ass home"

Vee Quiva
11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about asking him this: "Phil - when you and other top pros write books, there's plenty of good advice, but not that much that really stands out as being far beyond the ideas of most good poker players. Is that because of the audience you're targeting, because you're holding back some of the best stuff, or for some other reason?"

[/ QUOTE ]
he was asked this question at the signing and he swears he put everything he knows into the book. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things.

Vee Quiva
11-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Phil said at the signing, "if you are going to play all the events you need at least 500k for the year"

He has not played much lately due to the book and publicity. He says he will play a lot more tournaments next year because he is no longer the host of Celebrity Poker.

He also mentioned he is going to be on a new show where there is a tournament for average joe players and another for the pros. When it gets down to 4 players in each, they will combine into 1 final table. There will also be instructional segments during the show.

This sounds like a pretty fun show.

Beavis68
11-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually, i think he said 700k

roxtar
11-21-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he is such a good businessman, why is he dumping all this money ($200k per year in entry fees) if he isn't winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

All these guys are action junkies ("TV poker pro's") and couldn't stop if they wanted to.
Their just fortunate enough to be insanely rich to begin with so they're able to withstand the wild swings and avoid the eventual ruin of an addicted gambler.

cha59
11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pure class act.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent about four hours sitting next to Phil at a 1/2 NL game last week at the MGM Grand. If anyone is interested, here's a link to my story:

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4032922&an=0&page=10 #Post4032922)

Riverman
11-30-2005, 12:08 PM
"If you had 30 seconds to ask him a question, what would you say?"

Why did you act like such a douche on the WPT Shooting Stars?

-I actually like him but he has wierdly touching one of the other players and being table coach if i remember right.

TStoneMBD
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
id like to know how phil gordon could possibly think hes more famous than phil hellmuth.

this was discussed somewhere, i think in one of daniel negreanu's blog entries.

GrunchCan
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I was on the phone with Phil Gordon for about 30 seconds a couple months ago (my wife took a picture of him on the phone with me). I asked him, "So, how are you, Phil? How's the book signing going?"