PDA

View Full Version : ethics of software?

jomatty
11-18-2005, 11:02 AM
i recently downloaded pokerace hud from the poker tracker site and then went to the party poker website to make sure it was kosher. the wording in the explanation of forbidden programs seemed a little ambigous. are the programs that they specifically listed the only ones that are illegal or is any program that fits their definition of "unfair advantage".
what about datamining observed hands. i know this is widely done but it seemed like they dont allow it, although pokertracker is obv allowed. are they saying that its illegal to use one of the programs that makes the large databases available publicly is illegal or is it illegal to collect the hands yourself. it seemed to me that they did not allow it but i know how widely it is done and have never heard anyone having a problem with party, and it would be fairly easy to detect when someone was datamining.
any info appreciated, as i am trying to take advantage of some of the programs that most of the serious players seem to use but want to do so, only to the extent that its ethical(from partys perspective)
matty

OrianasDaad
11-18-2005, 11:05 AM
It is my understanding that PAHud has worked with PP to ensure that their software did not violate PP's T&C.

PAHud doesn't do much more than facilitate multi-tabling. PT is approved by party, and has a "note-export" feature. While this requires a bit more work from the user, it provides much the same function as PAHud.

Party-poker likes multi-tabling players.

11-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Just to be clear I do not know Party's offical stance on these matters, but having read various threads on these forums, the general consensus is that Party only has problems with software that allows you to share the information you have gathered with other users.

Speaking as a user of PokerAce HUD I have never had any problem with Party while using it. And to the best of my knowledge no one has ever gotten any kind of cease and desist message from Party over it.

As for datamining, I personally don't do it. But I have read of many users that do and, again, as long as you are not sharing your databases with other players Party seems not to care. That doesn't mean that they won't change their mind in the future, but as of now it seems to be allowed.