PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 9300 - Thinking of Buying

11-18-2005, 09:13 AM
After looking around everywhere for a laptop that I can use for multi-tabling without overlap. I have finally found it and made a decision. I'm looking at buying a Dell Inspiron 9300. I was just wanting to get some input from those who have one and what configuration you use compared to my choice.

I will be using it mainly for multi-tableling (2-4 tables) at various different poker sites. It will also be used for data-mining, a few sites simulaneously. I will be travelling around a bit, therefore the need for the laptop. The bulk shouldn't worry me too much, as I won't be on the road often. At a latter stage I will look at getting an extra flat panel monitor.

This is what I'm looking at:

17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200 res)

1.73 GHz Pentium M
Does anyone recommend a faster proccesor? How does it handle two sites running with a total of 4 tables open, PT running and updating its databases, Gametime+ running, web browser going? If it can handle all that without delay, how does it perferm when you start running a media player?

1024MB (2 x 512MB) RAM
I think this should be more then sufficient.

80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
I think a 7200rpm hard drive is req for quick PT updates. How does the 5400rpm perform?

2 x 9 cell batteries

Dell is currently offering this for AUD 2,566.30 (USD 1890). So what do you recon?

Thanks in advance,

Trent.

tigerite
11-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Pretty similar to the one I got, but with more memory (I went with 512) and slower processor (I went for 2Ghz). It'll run like a dream especially once you get shot of all the Dell crap that comes bundled, and partition it etc. One point to bear in mind (unless they are doing a memory special), is that you can get memory upgrades much cheaper than their prices, and it's really a doddle to slot in a new bank.

Freakin
11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
To answer your question in advance.

Once you get the 9300 and load up party, you're going to have black boxes around your windows. Change your DPI setting. If you ask this question in the forums I will personally find you and beat you to death in your sleep with the 9300.

Cheers,

Freakin

oreogod
11-19-2005, 11:59 AM
what does partioning the harddrive do for your computer? does it have an advantage over whatever format the computer usually come in? (just curious, I dunno how a dell comes if it has multiple partions or one big partion, etc)

11-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I was going to get them to partition my drive for me. 60/20. The idea behind this is to put PT, and its databases, on the 20GB partition. That way it should run faster, as there is less info to sort through. It will also make defraging faster. Although I'm not to sure how much difference it will make.

Trent.

11-19-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will personally find you and beat you to death in your sleep with the 9300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe. Thanks for the tip Freakin.